Between the buried and Me- Alaska out 9/6/05

I've been reading and hearing a lot of good things about this album. Never paid much attention to BTBAM in the past, though I've heard some good things about them before, but from reading all the reviews lately, it sounds like I'll have to buy this album.

I love prog both old and new, and I love all good metal, so this one seems right up my alley. Gonna have to pick it up for sure I think.

Why can't we get rid of these fuckin' labels? Metalcore, hardcore, Grindcore, blah blah blah blah!! There are only a few types of music. METAL, Country, Rap, Jazz, Rock, Classical. Thats it..... Deicide, falls into metal, Queen falls into Rock, etc etc..I am tired of these 16 year old punk kids making enemies over someone not liking their label. "I listen to Melodic-death-breakdown-windmill kickcore"...whatever..its fuckin METAL. Whether you want to believe it or not, Megadeth, Six Feet Under, Old Man's Child, Vehemence, Glass Casket, Terror, Haemorrhage, Tool, System of a down, and Black Sabbath, are under 1 name, M-E-T-A-L

Thank you for your time.....

im not a fan of the cd really but they are good musicians. dont get me wrong there are parts i can really get into but theres parts i just dont like at all.

metalchef said:
Why can't we get rid of these fuckin' labels? Metalcore, hardcore, Grindcore, blah blah blah blah!! There are only a few types of music. METAL, Country, Rap, Jazz, Rock, Classical. Thats it..... Deicide, falls into metal, Queen falls into Rock, etc etc..I am tired of these 16 year old punk kids making enemies over someone not liking their label. "I listen to Melodic-death-breakdown-windmill kickcore"...whatever..its fuckin METAL. Whether you want to believe it or not, Megadeth, Six Feet Under, Old Man's Child, Vehemence, Glass Casket, Terror, Haemorrhage, Tool, System of a down, and Black Sabbath, are under 1 name, M-E-T-A-L

You are an idiot

metalchef said:

that is all sweat and dandy but I know for a fact that I don't mind the labels. It does make it alittle easier to get some of the new kids I know into metal as not all want it fast and heavy, some don't like grindcore vocals where they might become dream theater fanatics. Some just want chugga chugga breakdown dying fetus as it is an easy transition from having been a slipknot fan. I damn well know that alot of the simplified riffing of some general nu rock bands will never satisfy many into real metal. I can see the argument of some old timers(heck, I am not a spring chicken) who say they remember the day where there weren't that many genres of metal but now that metal HAS broken off into many parts, it really can't just be put into one large box.

I do value constructive valid points on both side as that makes for a solid conversation.

labels are fine...but when people endlessly argue over it it's really rediculous. When you label a band, you're expecting them to stay that style or for them to only be limited to that subcategorized style of metal. Almost all bands will say "we're not a funeral doom band/we're not an epic doom band/we're not a blackdoom band....we're just doom and we'll write whatever we want for our music." No bands should be limiting themselves...and since alot of newer fans are limiting their interests and their own music, there are no real iconic diverse heavy metal records coming out nowadays. Everyone wants to just strickly be a THRASH metal band, or a melodic black metal band...fuck, don't limit your credibility or don't limit your tastes.