Beyond The Embrace - Agains The Elements

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Beyond The Embrace - Against The Elements
Metal Blade, 2002

beyond_against.jpg

A six piece band from Massachusetts decided not to follow the popular American trend, and instead started to play Euorpean melodic death metal. When I first heard the cd I thought it was a Swedish band, but after checking their details I found out only their influences have Swedish roots.

Beyond the Embrace was mainly inspired by bands like In Flames (especially Colony and Clayman), Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity. They mixed this so-called melodic Swedish death metal with some Bay Area thrash and simple melodic rock music. I have to admit they found their own path to follow with combining the above mentioned styles but still something is missing. They don't sound unique; it feels like they are searching for their own style. The songs are good in themselves, but they don't make the album coherent. They even put in some progressive elements, and the use of acoust parts make it better. Shawn Gallagher's vocal style in growling can be compared to Anders Fridén's (In Flames) but he also uses his clean vocals more and yes, he has a great voice!

Some of the songs are varied and interesting like 'Release', and 'The Bending Sea' - with a very nice guitar solo in the middle. 'Rapture' also has some interesting changes in it. 'Mourning in Magenta' is a bit too melodic to me, but I'm sure it will become a very popular soon just like the opening 'Bastard Screams'. 'Compass' and 'Embers Astray' are the more brutal songs on the album with their fast riffs, refreshing and giving a wild feeling to the album. The title track 'Against the Elements' is a very strong piece of their music, more dynamic and pulsating than the rest of the songs.

I especially like the two instrumental songs: 'Drowning Sun', that starts with sound of the cold wind that makes you shiver, and 'Riddle Of Steel'. They should have to make every other track on the album like these two. Varied, heavy, melodic, well-composed - I think I don't need to say any more to describe how perfect these songs are for me.

The sound of the album could be much, much better too. They use three guitars, but where?? The sound is thin and plain and even if you turn on the volume it doesn't burst out from the speakers. The drums also have a very dry sound and this makes the general overall impression weak.

Against the Elements is a very nice, though not too strong, debut album and I really look forward their upcoming release because there is a lot in these guy.
(Ps: I like the cover artwork of the album very much. Take a look at it!)

"One by one we'll be erased, 'till our circuitry gets rearranged
We embrace the sky - why do we fail to fly? Yet in awe we try again
We embrace the sky - why do we fail to fly? The elements we're up against"

Tracklist:
1. Bastard Screams
2. Mourning In Magenta
3. Compass
4. Rapture
5. Drowning Sun
6. Against The Elements
7. Release
8. The Bending Sea