Mar 9, 2004
NYC
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217449

circus_brimstone said:
Biolich – The Space Between Home and Today EP
Paragon Records – PRG-28019 – November 14th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

280357614_m.jpg

I suspect this is what happens when an affinity for Demilich is tossed into the proverbial blender with grind, electronica, and various types of –core. Billed as “avant-garde death/grind,” said description fails to do The Space Between Home and Today justice in the classification department. Though this is about as disparate as it gets and though I recognize the skill this EP required to amass, I’m not completely sold.

Nevertheless, Biolich are engrossing in an ungodly way. While Will Smith (not that Will Smith I’m betting) nails Demilich’s vocal approach, the grindcore resembles Cephalic Carnage, the metalcore recalls Unearth, and the melodies conjure maudlin of the Well from their defunct status. “Morals Like Frozen Piss” commences like any death/grind metal recording might, but suddenly transitions to motW-esque instrumentation at the 3:20 minute mark – all the while growls and screams caterwaul in the background. “Extensive Autumn Necrony” begins in much the same way that its predecessor ends, though the song segues to groovy death not far from its inception. Trashy metalcore is what I’d describe “Twin Faced Exorcism” as, until death/grind commandeers the helm once again. Just when you think you’re getting a handle on Biolich, they throw a change-up. And, to further shrug off listener expectation, “Ikon Sumo” is electronica and features not a shred of metal at any point. The shortest number, on The Space Between Home and Today, is “Unfortunately They Don’t Allow Us to Store Bodies in the Dumpsters at Work,” which is a minute and a half of dirty grind. Nonetheless, the EP expires after approximately twenty-five minutes of sheer unpredictability.

I’ll be honest: I love the experimental nature of groups who attempt to blend styles that seemingly don’t go together. The Apparati, Genghis Tron, and Crotchduster do it well – at times – and I admire their unwavering fortitude. But Biolich (Boron Iodine Oxygen Lithium Carbon Hydrogen) haven’t quite convinced me that they’re worthy of my support. It’s true that they held my attention, although once they got it, they didn’t know what to do with it. This just feels a little too disjointed. Still, those searching for uniqueness should lend an ear.

7/10

Official Biolich Website
Official Paragon Records Website

I agree, I mean the vocals on our first demo were demilich-like but now they are pretty different. I kinda like that this wasn't really a "good" review.

Mr. Danolich I dig the song I have heard quite a bit. Its nice to see something in death metal that isnt ALL about technicality. So good on ya!

Helm said:
I liked the music on myspace, but the vocals are nothing like Demilich.

I went back and listened to Biolich and Demilich after I wrote that, and I now think "nails" is too strong a word. I'd say the vocals are somewhat similar, though. That is, you can tell that B were influenced by D in the vocal department. Ah well. :dopey: Pretty good EP, anyway. You did a lot of things well. :)

Biolich vocals are death-metal type extreme vocals. I wish this style of singing was not tied to extreme metal and were more widely used, but as it stands, it's the staple of death metal and that makes the low gurgling vocals of Biolich similar to everything recorded in that scene really. Demilich vocals are very very low, almost but not quite unintelligible. They don't sound human at all. The biggest thing about them though was the reverb wash, which isn't present on Biolich songs. That's probably for the best, the music is quite different and so much reverb probably wouldn't work with this type of mixing.

ah, something interesting: back in the late seventies, the RIO band Univers Zero used 'extreme vocals' in their otherwise instrumental album Heresie. I remember them being on the song 'La Faulx'. Sounds like a repeated Cthulhu cult chant. They work very well.