TheTechnogoat

Protean
Jun 20, 2005
Montreal
Biomechanical - Cannibalised
Earache Records - MOSH330CDPRO - February 11th, 2008
By Jack Deming

cannabalised.jpg

The UK based Biomechanical is undoubtedly one of the most underrated and talented metal bands in recent years, and their latest album, Cannibalised, is meant to bring closure to the epic Biomechanical trilogy consisting of debut album Eight Moons and it's successor, Empires of the World. After a dramatic change in lineup (literally every band member left, save Greek singer and main writer John K) due to a nasty argument between K and the rest of the band, Biomechanical "Mark II" is back with Cannibalised, which has a darker and heavier feel than its predecessors, but still maintains the power groove/progressive style that makes Biomechanical one of the UK's most important metal bands. It's also quite nice to see a band directly influenced by the likes of Judas Priest and Maiden that doesn't create worn out, unoriginal crap.

My biggest problem with alleged film score influenced metal bands such as Nightwish or Rhapsody of Fire is the lack of real depth and atmosphere exhibited by their music. Many people forget that the sole purpose of a film's music is to complement and dramatize the action of the film. In a metal setting, the cinematic qualities should act as an atmospheric backdrop to enhance the music, not as a gimmick or a frill. 'Cannabalised' is one of the first albums I've heard that actually does that, largely with the help of absolutely masterful production. On a decent pair of headphones, this music will surround you completely, akin to watching a movie in a home theater with surround sound. Merging metal and cinematic music is a very hard thing to do well, and I applaud John K and producer Chris Tsangarides for doing it with such intelligence. The gigantic production of Cannibalised is rivaled by only one other aspect of this band: John K's vocals. This man has hands down one of the most memorable voices in modern metal. Sounding somewhat like a Cowboys-era Phil Anselmo/Halford mix, K's voice is instantly recognizable and is an integral part of Biomechanical's chaotic sound.

One issue I do have with this album is how musically dense it is at times. I know that John K was trying to create the most epic and grandiose sound possible, but at times there is simply too much shit going on at once. This quality can be used as a cool, overpowering effect (I nearly soiled myself when the chaotic first track 'Fallen in Fear' exploded from my unknowingly blasting car speakers), but in excess it detracts from the listener's overall comprehension of the song, like a picture that is overly saturated to the point where it is unrecognizable. Still, Cannabalised is chock full of absolutely outstanding vocal and instrumental work, heavy grooves that present a legitimate risk of whiplash to the listener, and as a bonus for me, one of the most maddeningly annoying and brutally painful watermarks I've ever heard on a promo (the five second isolated beep gives me a bastard of a headache every time I hear it). Bottom line, John K and Biomechanical have made a truly epic metal trilogy that will not be forgotten quickly, and Cannibalised won't be taken out of this listener's rotation anytime soon.

Official Biomechanical Website
Biomechanical's Myspace
Offical Earache Records Website