Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Test of time passed?

Test of time passed?

• Yes!

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • No!

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
I think it's still good. Not the best DT album, but The Count Of Tuscany definitely has its moments of brilliance.

I think it's still good. Not the best DT album, but The Count Of Tuscany definitely has its moments of brilliance.

yeah, this song´s playing time is almost long as one entire deicide or slayer album :lol: This song justifies a pretty good rating imo. "Count of Tuscany" is awesome! I also love the opener!

Hate this album to be honest, which makes me sad to say that because this band is the reason why I got into prog metal.

Oh i turned it off as soon as they opened with an Opeth ripoff as the album intro.

They havent had an original idea on a CD since Kevin Moore left.

I have nicknamed them Ripoff Theater.

The list of bands they have ripped shit off from is astounding. I did a whole A/B comparison over in the Nevermore forum about 6 months ago on this. A/B'd the songs next to the original artist. It was amazing how many people didnt realise it.

Tool
Metallica
Megadeth
All Too Human
Opeth
COF
Kansas
Zepplin

The list is like 40 or 50 bands long. Not to mention stuf like the Dixie Dregs, Al Dimeola .... more unknown instrumental stuff.

The band can play and have chops. But as far as originality.... pfft they are a waste of time.

Couldn't agree more dude, and I think I know the exact Kansas thing you're thinking of, cuz I noticed it too (on my own :D) - the end of Disc 2 of "6 Degrees" being so similar to the end of "Opus Insert", right? Or is there another?

But when was there a CoF ripoff? That's very hard to picture :lol: (though I haven't really heard anything after Train of Thought, so maybe it was then)

Actually, though (now that I'm re-reading what I'm agreeing with :D ), I did like them up through Six Degrees, so I don't necessarily think they started sucking immediately after the departure of Moore - however, I do agree that it seems like that's when the amount of ripoffs increased dramatically!

octavarium = a muse album
sacrificed sons solo is a beast though

but either way, systematic chaos sucked so bad it hurt and i refuse to even bother with this new record

Couldn't agree more dude, and I think I know the exact Kansas thing you're thinking of, cuz I noticed it too (on my own :D) - the end of Disc 2 of "6 Degrees" being so similar to the end of "Opus Insert", right? Or is there another?

But when was there a CoF ripoff? That's very hard to picture :lol: (though I haven't really heard anything after Train of Thought, so maybe it was then)

Actually, though (now that I'm re-reading what I'm agreeing with :D ), I did like them up through Six Degrees, so I don't necessarily think they started sucking immediately after the departure of Moore - however, I do agree that it seems like that's when the amount of ripoffs increased dramatically!

The COF / Opeth Ripoff is one in the same. All the big synth blast beated crap at the start of the new CD. Its just utter shit..... The below post was put together from multiple posts I have made on this over the last 4 years.

DT Song: The Best Of Times
Ripoff: Rush Spirit Of The Radio

DT Album:Systematic Chaos
Track 1 - Sounds just like Metallica
Track 3 - Sounds just like Linkin Park
Track 4 - Sounds just like U2
Track 5 - Sounds just like Muse
Track 8 - Sounds just like Pink Floyd

DT Song:Home - 11 second mark of this video is the EXACT intro from Tools 46 and 2

DT Song: This Dying Soul 7:17- The Grand Metallica Ripoff
Metallica - Blackend - 1:22 the vocal melody in question starts

DT Song - This Dying Soul - The Grand Megadeth Ripoff
8:05 - Not any one particular Megadeth song, but come on since when does Labrie sing like this!!! at 8:26 it gets REALLY BAD !!!!

Dark Clouds and Silver Linings (The new CD)- A Nightmare To Remember - The Cradle of filth / Opeth ripoff - Listen to the intro the blast beats and the vocals .. OMFG !!! Its Lady Of The Snow from COF or the Intro to ANY Opeth album.

Listen to the Vocal section at 0:15, sounds a bit like Dani Filth huh

DT Song: - Solitary Shell
Ripoff: Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill (even the title they ripped ...lol)

I had to take all the videos out with the audio comparisons. Unfortunately 90% of the videos on you tube were taken off ... ughh

Not to me. Since I've stoped listening to it, never touched it again. Sad since they were one of my favourite bands.

It's OK, the singles really suck hard. Nightmare to Remember and Count of Tuscany are the standouts for me, but nothing beats the early days.
They're not prog anymore, and plus they're signed to Roadrunner.

octavarium = a muse album
sacrificed sons solo is a beast though

but either way, systematic chaos sucked so bad it hurt and i refuse to even bother with this new record

Systematic Chaos did really bite the big one, and I was beginning to think the same thing with BCaSL, but I really enjoy it, not as much as the old Dream Theater with Kevin Moore, as much as I like Jordan Rudess as a player, DT has suffered without Moore.

My only beef with the new DT albums is they write an album in 2-3 weeks and they just jam the whole time, I am really getting sick of hearing 6 10+ minute songs and them calling that an album. I like the hear more than six songs, not mater how long they are, if each song is over 10 minutes in length, I still want at least 9 songs, 12 preferably.

I really like octivarium, it sounded grand and epic, sacrificed sons and Octivarium were the two greatest songs on that album, along with panic attack and the root of all evil. But that album was too much of a mix of wannabe Muse and U2 (and I fucking hate U2)

Train of thought was meh and the production of scenes from a memory is horrible, the whole album is so fucking dry, absolutely no reverb on the vox or drums. Seems like they decided to hate reverb after Moore left. To me DT was a majestic over reverbed 80's sounding band, they had so much soul and so much atmosphere back then, now they just spend too much time trying to be like the bands they like.

Falling into Infinity has to be their worst album, really shows how low they got after Moore left, this whole old school blues rock they tried to do on that album was so not them and so lame. They are turning into Metallica, after Metallica kicked out Mustaine they took his riffs until they ran out, once that happened they tried to emulate him (hence the black album) and then they gave up and tried doing modern post grunge meets bob dylan blues rock that has no soul to the older music. Dream Theater has gone the same way, once Moore left they tried becoming a more dry sounding band that was trying to emulate their influences before they got into hard rock, this blues, old rock and other junk.

my god, this album is absolute crap.

tho im gonna meet mr petrucci next week!!!

If by "test of time" you mean "songs with 8, 13, 16 and 19 minutes" they´ve passed. Again.
And that´s why they will always suck. Today I was playing Rock Band Beatles and I love how their songs are so short.