circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Black Crucifixion – The Fallen One of Flames
Paragon Records – PRG-26017 – October 3rd, 2005
By Jason Jordan

BC_coverr.jpg

Beherit aficionados might as well remove their credit cards from their wallets right now, because the re-release of The Fallen One of Flames bears the mark of the Finnish BM gods in several ways. Black Crucifixion washed ashore by surfing the second wave of black metal, harnessed their energy to record a few demos/EP’s, and then vanished before anyone had to time to remember even their name. Still, this disc is worth hunting down and I’ll explain why.

As it is, The Fallen One of Flames is refreshing, especially after sitting through countless hours of mundane black metal. Frankly, it showcases just how cool the scene must’ve been during its infancy in the early ‘90’s. Holocausto Vengeance (ex-Beherit) provided the group with both an intro and outro, which are good, but Sodomatic Slaughter (drums, ex-Beherit) also lent his services to the promising young Finns. All the bands I’ve mentioned, up to this point, are dead and gone, though their recordings remain intact and burst with nuances to boot. For example, one would think that a vocal delivery based solely on whispering would suck – it doesn’t. One might think that such primitive music would sour as a result of the commendable drumming – it didn’t. One might also think that songs can’t be foreboding and groovy at the same time – they can be. Perhaps unexpectedly, the rampant use of dichotomies is what allows Black Crucifixion to shine. And, “Flowing Downwards” would most likely be chosen as the ambassador for The Fallen One of Flames, if a representative had to be nominated. The production values falter at times, granted, but the music simply doesn’t need to be enhanced for one to glean enrichment from it.

In all honesty, the EP is about twenty minutes long, so one won’t receive a shitload of material here. However, it appears as if Fornicator (vocals, bass, guitar, effects) took great pride in the re-release of The Fallen One of Flames, and sincerity is admirable in spite of any circumstances. I like how the head of Black Crucifixion put it: “We enjoyed the music and burned no churches. I hope you’ll do the same.”

7.5/10

Official Paragon Records Website