Black Label Society ?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Anyone a fan of Zakk's band? I'd overlooked them for years, although I enjoy the Zakk/Ozzy records. Not sure why I did that being that this band KICKS ASS! Great groove, great ultra-heavy feel.
I recently became acquainted to the band through "Stronger than Death" and "The Blessed HellRide". of course, I plan on purchasing ALL the others!!

Any thoughts on the band?

I have to admit I've never really looked that hard at 'em. I saw them at Ozzfest when Sabbath last headlined, and did like them (No More Tears slow and heavy was great), but have never followed up. This is largely because I really think Zakk uses that whole squeal thing waaaaay too much.

Get Zakk's Book of Shadows, Pride and Glory...

Both of these are great, Book of Shadows in particular is absolutely brilliant: however, neither album is metal. BoS could possibly be considered southern-rock.

As for BLS...they are a mixed bag with me. I used to love them until I realized that Zakk kept writing the same song and that his vocals have continued to go downhill for the past 3-4 years (re: sounding like Ozzy).

-I would say skip SONIC BREW, it has some great moments, but it's still a little stunted in the songwriting.
- STRONGER THAN DEATH is awesome. Pummeling and punishing. Especially "Counterfeit God".
- 1919 ETERNAL is amazing. Best BLS album, IMO. Tight, punchy, focused, and badass.
- THE BLESSED HELLRIDE continues on 1919's wave and ends up being pretty good. Some fantastic material is on here, but it's not as good as the previous.
- HANGOVER MUSIC, I enjoy, but it's not that great. It's similar to the Pride and Glory stuff...except that Zakk's voice is completely shot.
- MAFIA has some real gems, and some real garbage. It's best just to pick some specific songs off of it, such as "Fire It Up", "Too Tough to Die", "Been a Long Time".
- SHOT TO HELL...meh. I couldn't name you ANY song that grabbed me off this album. Very recycled...very, once again: Ozzy (and that's not a good thing).

Anyone a fan of Zakk's band? I'd overlooked them for years, although I enjoy the Zakk/Ozzy records. Not sure why I did that being that this band KICKS ASS! Great groove, great ultra-heavy feel.
I recently became acquainted to the band through "Stronger than Death" and "The Blessed HellRide". of course, I plan on purchasing ALL the others!!

Any thoughts on the band?

Love their first three albums (Sonic Brew, Stronger Than Death and 1919 Eternal) but I feel they kind of dwindled after that.

I love Black Label!
Mafia was okay, but everything before that is the shit.
And his Pride and Glory is even better, especially the vocals.

As for BLS...they are a mixed bag with me. I used to love them until I realized that Zakk kept writing the same song and that his vocals have continued to go downhill for the past 3-4 years (re: sounding like Ozzy).

I agree with every thing you said, I don't like too much when he starts sounding like Ozzy, there's already an Ozzy and I don't need a second.( i do like Ozzy tho)
It jut sounds better when Zakk does his own thing.

Everybody gives BLS shit and says "Zakk uses the same squeals and scales". I could agree to an extent but still like them. Its down and dirty low tuned kickass beer drinking and hell raising tunes. What's not to like? Seen them at HOB and let me tell you they are way better in a intimate setting. During his intermission he busted out the acoustic...jammed out to "Diary of a Madman" while the Chicago Chapter Hells Angels smoked a doob on stage.

The only ones I have heard are The Blessed Hellride and Shot to Hell. Stay away from the latter, stick with the former.

get the pride and glory album and zakks solo cd. as for BLS get sonice brew and 1919 eternal. down "last goodbye" or whatever the song is off of shot to hell. thats all

I completely agree with this. I'm bored with BLS. They had their moments.