Black Metal Lyrics

Darkwinterdweller

New Metal Member
Oct 2, 2006
I am planning on starting a black/death metal band soon. I have some lyrics written, and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to do so, but I'd like some honest feedback. If it sucks, let me know. I can not find anywhere else to have a critic on lyrics, so I apologize if this is not what is wanted here.

The Occult Oath

Seek mystery within life
Cherish the left hand path
Sinning is the way to win
Secret motives are the key

The Occult Oath
Experience darkness
Experience light
Challenge morality

Erase all values
Burn down the chamber of myths
Cast fire upon the book of lies
Free the soul
From the shackles of faith

The Occult Oath
Experience darkness
Experience light
Challenge morality

Dwell within the darkness
Search and embrace corruption
Give into true human nature
Give into evil temptation
Seek true self satisfaction

The Occult Oath
Experience darkness
Experience light
Challenge morality

I will offer an honest opinion:

Forgive me if I have this wrong, but it is my guess that these are not your beliefs or convictions(the tone of your post betrays this)You don't sound like an 'evil' person:heh: .
Challenging "morality" is wise, but it doesn't require oaths to still more 'beliefs', albeit dark ones to get it done. The Satanic/occult trappings of BM have essentially been done to death. Unless you are personally advocating a study of, or dedication to the Black Arts - which would require a good deal of research to be original or convincing, I would avoid the topic altogether. Nothing plagues the 'extreme' metal world today so much as a complete and fundamental lack of originality - most everyone is just treading ground that has been travelled myriad times before.
It is also because of the profound limitations of the Black 'ideal' that many veteran BM/DM bands have veered down more esoteric, philosophical, nihilistic, Pagan, or even NSBM paths.
In short - the occult/Satanic theme has effectively been tapped out - some may say that has been true for a decade or more already! Think on it - even the second wave of Black Metal has been around for over fifteen years.
If you are really into or inspired by the Satanic/Occult thing, personally - honestly, then go for it. But if not, try something new.