Black Metallllllllllllllllll!!!! \m/ SATAN rawr

Jan 10, 2005
Ok guys - this is a project that has been going for 3 weeks now. I have recorded this band before but when they told me this album would be going to be released by a French label I wanted them to come and redo everything so we could spend more time on it compared to the last time. I didn't feel like I achieved the best final product for many reasons. So this time I made sure we would take our time on it, and so far it's coming out a LOT better than before.

Anyway, here is a clip of one of the songs:

http://www.winterskiesprod.com/HOTMS/CarionThrone-vocals.mp3

Right now the band, and myself, are really happy with where it is. They are saying it's "done" mix-wise, I could go with that, but I wanted to get some fresh ears to check it out and maybe catch something I'm not hearing, etc.

I'm not telling what amp it is just yet, but just know that Lasse (LSD-Studio) handled reamping for me on this and I can't stress enough how happy I am with the product he returned. The band is really happy with it. If anyone is looking for reamping, Lasse should definitely be at the top of your list of who to contact. The prices he is asking for are extremely reasonable for what you get. The chain was the Schecter C-1 Stealth w/ Duncan Distortion in the bridge (DI of that) -> mystery amp -> Engl PRO 4x12 -> SM57+m160 -> API preamps -> RME converters. 1 track per side, 100% L/R, SM57+m160 blended together on each side. I hardly touched the guitar tracks with EQ or anything, they sat in the mix really well from the get-go.

So have at it. Any and all criticism (constructive) and suggestions are welcome, I want this to be f'in good. BTW, there is still a lot of editing to be done on the punch-ins, etc. so disregard any odd punches you hear or things like that. I'm focusing on the sonic quality right now :)

~006

To bad you triggered snare.
I don't realy like triggering snare in blackmetal.. you want to hear a mad viking pounding those skins, not a machine sampling snare hits when your listening to true bm imo hha

Yeah well...the snare doesn't sound all that great on it's own ;) I would have liked natural everything, but you can only polish something so far...it has to actually sound good to get you the rest of the way. I agree with the level of the snare, I will be automating it to be louder during parts other than blast beats, and maybe even quieter during the blasts. I will play around with the OHs and see if lowering a high shelf will help out, I agree that they can be quite fatiguing at times.

Thanks so much to you guys so far, keep the comments and suggestions coming!!!

~006

There is actually a decent amount of the natural snare in there, the sample is only there for smack, the natural snare top mic is there for all the body, and the bottom snare mic is in there for the airy sound and to help it cut through during blasts.

~006