Black Sabbath VS Metallica

I can't really pick either, though I'd have to say I listen to Metallica a lot more than Sabbath atleast lately.

Of course, 'Tallica began to suck ass after the black album. Sabbath was pretty much always good.

I disagree. Not only he's one of the best guitar players in history, he still is! I just listened to HAH live album and I can't believe the guy still plays songs > 25 years old with the same quality and energy as when they were composed, pure genius! Tony will always be in my top five of rock/guitar players of all-time (which btw now Hammett, nor Hetfield will ever be even selling their souls to the devil :lol: ).

I disagree. I was never blown away by his technical prowess. Genre defining riffs, yes. Great songs, yes. One of the best ever, yes. H&H and Mob Rules, two of my favorites ever. Is my jaw dropping when I hear him play? Quite simply, no. When I think of REALLY talented guitar players from that era, I think of Jeff Beck and Blackmore.

And there are probably just as many people that think MoP is the best metal album and song ever. Maybe I sounded a bit harsh when I said that NO Sabbath album comes close to the first 3 Metallica....of course some do. Thinking about that now, I definitely like H & H equally. Sorry!

I When I think of REALLY talented guitar players from that era, I think of Jeff Beck and Blackmore.

Beck, Blackmore, Hendrix, Clapton, Iommi, Buck Dharma, they're all in my pantheon. And as much as I can like Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, MacAlpine, Murphy, Santolla, etc., no of them ever going to the level of Iommi or Blackmore.

Like always in the disagreeing is the intelligence :saint:

NP: Skyclad - 'Sins Of Emission'

I love Metallica, but there's no contest. They will be crushed by Black Sabbath in every way.

But then again... if it were Black Sabbath versus KISS, Sabbath would be laying on the ground after having lightning bolts shot at them and dragon's fire burning them, having there eyes scrathed out by a 5 foot cat, having blood spit all over them, and then left with a big lipstick smudge. hahaha.

Black Sabbath is probably my second favourite band ever, and i have every album from Black Sabbath to Forbidden. But there's no stopping the Knights in Satan's Service :lol:

..... except maybe Megadeth.

I don't consider Iommi to be a technically great guitarist as Blackmore and Uli Jon Roth were at the same time, Iommi's riffs were/are still awesome though

Yeah... Black sabbath just has that heavy sound.
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. Enough said, not many people can make such a song out of a tritone.

Metallica has probably influenced more bands probably as far as technically constructing riffs their sound is easier to replicate things like Master of Puppets than Sweat Leaf or Iron Man. Probably just because the MeloDeath genre is extremely welcoming to the Open E riffs, than the rather simple chord progressions Iommi Wrote.

who doesnt metallica cover???

tough choice. but i will say i prefered dio sabbath to mtv dad's version

Yeah... Black sabbath just has that heavy sound.
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. Enough said, not many people can make such a song out of a tritone.

Metallica has probably influenced more bands probably as far as technically constructing riffs their sound is easier to replicate things like Master of Puppets than Sweat Leaf or Iron Man. Probably just because the MeloDeath genre is extremely welcoming to the Open E riffs, than the rather simple chord progressions Iommi Wrote.

well not for nothing but i don't know what Melodeath has anything to do with this.. perhaps you are saying Metallica influenced them but we can say Sabbath influenced Doom metal....

No matter what anyone thinks about Metallica "selling out," Black Sabbath did the same thing after Ozzy then after Dio. The difference was that BS sold out to a different style of metal as opposed to what Metallica sold out to.
I am old !!! I know the importance of BS, but I am also young enough to know the importance of Metallica.

If anyone thinks either is less than monumental..... they have mental issues. I don't give a flying fuck if I have to be on the fence, I will guard this position with my best left hook.

I say Metallica and Black Sabbath are equal.

Bryant

No matter what anyone thinks about Metallica "selling out," Black Sabbath did the same thing after Ozzy then after Dio. The difference was that BS sold out to a different style of metal as opposed to what Metallica sold out to.
I am old !!! I know the importance of BS, but I am also young enough to know the importance of Metallica.

If anyone thinks either is less than monumental..... they have mental issues. I don't give a flying fuck if I have to be on the fence, I will guard this position with my best left hook.

I say Metallica and Black Sabbath are equal.

Bryant

Very well said. I agree, you really can't compare the two - both are great and of equal importance.

metallica. sabbath is good. i love dio years, tony martin is fantastic obviously. and ozzy, well, i dont like his vocal sound or delivery at all, but they made good music.

but for me, its got to be metallica. their albums from kill em all-black were flawless in my mind. yes, st.anger...meh. but, i respect them still and they have influenced me and i have connected with them much more.

i could just never reach a high point with sabbath beyond random dio/martin songs.

don´t think they are comparable. However, in my case it´s Metallica, as most of you especially up to MOP, but I also like most the albums after that. BS has more ups and and downs for my taste.
Cheerz