Black Sabbath VS Metallica

Personally prefer Metallica to Sabbath, but, as has been said, to single out one over the other doesn't do justice to either of these legends.

Personaly it would be Sabbath all the way, no-one can ever surpass them.
Sabbath is the foundation of metal, simple as that
(I would also use this post to give credit to a far too often overlooked band: Black Widdow *hail*)

Well, I thought there was no way to figure out just how innovative Metallica really were. But then I remembered what I did to figure out if Sabbath really invented metal after hearing how heavy their debut album was. All I had to do was ask people to give me a band before Sabbath that played like that. All the bands people gave me -- Blue Cheer, Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly -- not even fucking close. Those bands were psychadelic garage rock bands, and Blue Cheer's Summertime Blues isn't even heavier than The Who's. That's when I knew Sabbath invented metal.

So I ask you to help me out here. I've seen it claimed that Metallica and Dave Mustaine invented the guitar style that bands such as Pantera use. If that's true then I think Metallica is as important to metal as Sabbath is, because that's a freakin' iconic and quintessential guitar style. But all you have to do to prove it wrong is show me some bands that were prior to Metallica who were like that.

So please give me the bands that played that thrash style before Metallica did...

as an aside... Wikipedia says that Iron Butterfly's In-A-Godda-Da-Vida might be the first heavy metal album. That's very funny to me, because I'm someone who actually owns that album and every minute of it other than the title track is pure 60s fluff, softer than The Guess Who. Granted that In-A-Godda-Da-Vida is a tremendously awesome song and potentially a good inspiration for some of the things metal bands would do, but I've yet to hear any heavy metal albums that are 50% composed of pop.

Just off the top of my head: Diamond Head, Motorhead, Armored Saint, Anthrax (came out at the same time as Metallica), Slayer, Exodus, Sacrifice (Toronto) - many of these bands were happening at the same time as Metallica but took longer to record their debut albums.

Let's go by parts.

1. Metallica debut is from 1983 and it's not pure thrash is more speed metal deeply Motorhead influenced (hence what I like it so much).
  2. More thrash oriented music (besides those Brandon had quoted) can be found in Venom first two albums (1981,1982)
  3. Slayer debut is also from 1983, Armored Saint EP (although AS is more power than thrash), Exciter debut (more speed but definitively will influence thrash), Suicidal Tendencies debut.
  4. Within 2 years by the time Metallica was about to get MOP out: Sodom, Exodus, Kreator, Megadeth, Dark Angel, Abattoir, Anthrax, Artillery, Zoetrope, Znowhite EP, Sepultura EP, Razor EP, Overkill EP, Laaz Rockit, Hallows Eve already had slabs out much more thrashier than anything Metallica did or do after it (IMO and therefore is arguible).
NP: Heaven & Hell - 'I'

Great replies guys. If you look at the popularity of Metallica it says something. Popular doesn't necessarily equate to being good as Britney Spears is popular, but she is far from a great artist. However, you are talking about a band that was huge yet still underground.
The guitar style, as well as the drum style were extremely innovative. There were other thrash bands that had heavy guitars and fast drums that were releasing music during the RTL and MOP era, but they didn't have the innovation and command of their instruments the way Metallica did. I am not speaking on a purely technical aspect, but from a songwriting and stylistic view as well. Metallica was on a different level than anyone else. How many prog-metal bands were there in 1986 ? Fates Warning/Dream Theater didn't invent Prog metal, Metallica did. THey were thrash/speed/prog/power.... they were THE quintessential metal band during their heyday.
Sabbath invented metal, Metallica perfected it, brought it to the masses and then probably helped drive it back underground (unintentionally.)

So I ask you to help me out here. I've seen it claimed that Metallica and Dave Mustaine invented the guitar style that bands such as Pantera use. If that's true then I think Metallica is as important to metal as Sabbath is, because that's a freakin' iconic and quintessential guitar style.

Just off the top of my head: Diamond Head, Motorhead, Armored Saint, Anthrax (came out at the same time as Metallica), Slayer, Exodus, Sacrifice (Toronto) - many of these bands were happening at the same time as Metallica but took longer to record their debut albums.

Let's go by parts.

1. Metallica debut is from 1983 and it's not pure thrash is more speed metal deeply Motorhead influenced (hence what I like it so much).
  2. More thrash oriented music (besides those Brandon had quoted) can be found in Venom first two albums (1981,1982)
  3. Slayer debut is also from 1983, Armored Saint EP (although AS is more power than thrash), Exciter debut (more speed but definitively will influence thrash), Suicidal Tendencies debut.
  4. Within 2 years by the time Metallica was about to get MOP out: Sodom, Exodus, Kreator, Megadeth, Dark Angel, Abattoir, Anthrax, Artillery, Zoetrope, Znowhite EP, Sepultura EP, Razor EP, Overkill EP, Laaz Rockit, Hallows Eve already had slabs out much more thrashier than anything Metallica did or do after it (IMO and therefore is arguible).
NP: Heaven & Hell - 'I'

Bryant

Black Sabbath Vs Metallica who's more H/Metal?

Black Sabbath, to me is all Heavy Hetal, even the name :yell:screams Heavy Metal, Iron Man with Iron Balls.

Metallica, to me pop/rock/metal The name :yell:screams Metallica, they didn't put the Metal in Heavy Metal thats for sure.

cheers :kickass:maiden1

Love Rush, but they are not metal. Certainly there are metal moments, but Rush is prog rock. I have an easier time considering AC/CD "metal" than Rush.

Bryant

Organic, organic grass. Avoid pesticides. :p

Rush started in the 70's as prog rock but definitively WAY heavier than Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Camel, Focus, Caravan, Curved Air, Gentile Giant, Van der Graff Generator, etc.

If you listen to Dream Theater they are totally influenced by Rush specially from the late 70's-early 80's ("Moving Pictures" to "Signals") and that's before Metallica. If that is not prog metal I don't know what it is then.

Oh well, actually the sticker on my vinyl copy of "Keeper of The Seven Keys- part 2" called Helloween kings of progressive metal :Smug:

NP: Iced Earth - 'The Awakening'

Rush is totally not metal. One of the best prog rock bands ever, but not metal. And Yes was heavy on the song Heart of The Sunrise.

If you listen to Dream Theater they are totally influenced by Rush specially from the late 70's-early 80's ("Moving Pictures" to "Signals") and that's before Metallica. If that is not prog metal I don't know what it is then.

NP: Iced Earth - 'The Awakening'

Dream Theater played the whole "Master of Puppets" live. I would say Metallica had an influence on them. I would definitely say Rush, Fates Warning and Queensryche influenced DT as well. Love your reply and still love Rush, yet I still say Rush is prog rock.

Bryant

Black Sabbath is way better than Metallica.
I like some Metallica stuff but I like Most of the Black Sabbath stuff.Master of Puppets was a great album though.
Nothing much compares to Master Of Reality especially for that era.