Black Sabbath with Dio reunite-----?

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Spainish website www.rafabasa.com has posted news of a Black Sabbath re-union of sorts - under a different name - Heaven & Hell.
The line-up will apparently be comprised of Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward and Ronnie James Dio. The website reports that a tour is planned by the group starting mid-2007.
How accurate is this information? Pretty damned good from what I have heard. In fact, I heard something to this effect back in June. While there is still nothing official being said, I can add a little more information:
- Ronnie James Dio was apparently approached by another individual this year for a possible new collaboration, but turned them down due to a prior commitment to this project.
- The project formed after Tony Iommi and Dio met to work on a couple of new tracks for a planned Black Sabbath box set The Dio Years.
- The whole deal has been kept quiet to avoid any unpleasantries during this year's Ozzfest tour.
I'm sure we will be hearing more about this! Stay tuned...

It'd be neat... but I don't see the need to include Bill Ward in the project. Sure, he was in Sabbath, but this isn't Sabbath, and there would be plenty of better drummers to pick from. Like Tommy Aldridge, he'd be cool.

Blitzkrieg said:
Ward can play all the old stuff, so it doesn't really matter that he isn't the best around. Anyway, it is Sabbath, Dio era Sabbath, just under a different name (if it happens).

Yeah, it's a different name, so it's not Sabbath.

Not dissing that line-up, I rate Dio-era much more highly than Ozzy-era.

Spiff said:
I don't see the need to include Bill Ward in the project. Sure, he was in Sabbath, but this isn't Sabbath, and there would be plenty of better drummers to pick from. Like Tommy Aldridge, he'd be cool.

Ummm.... What? The polyrhythmic and jazz-influenced stuff that Ward did behind Butler and Iommi, particularly on the later Ozzy Sabbath albums, is some fantastic stuff.

I kinda just assumed the Sabbath guys (Iommi, Butler, Ward) wanna get out there and play together. No, it's not Black Sabbath - but 3 musicians, 3 mates out having fun.

That's something that Ozzy clearly does not understand - so they've asked Dio to join them.

Sydo said:
I kinda just assumed the Sabbath guys (Iommi, Butler, Ward) wanna get out there and play together. No, it's not Black Sabbath - but 3 musicians, 3 mates out having fun.

That's something that Ozzy clearly does not understand - so they've asked Dio to join them.

Sadly I think Ozzy listens too much to outside influences and not what he actually feels would be good or fun

what i read is that they're not ALLOWED to use the name Black Sabbath anymore unless Ozzy is involved.

Seems unlikely to me, but then again stranger things have been known to happen. Especially where Ozzy (and more to the point, his missus) is involved.

It seems unlikely because it's bollocks :). Tony bought all the rights to the Black Sabbath name in the mid 80s and still owns them. As far as I can tell, if this tour even happens, they're using the name "Heaven And Hell" so as not to confuse the kind of morons who think the Ozzy lineup of Sabbath is the only one that matters.

I am looking forward mightily to this Dio Years box set, although I have a feeling it won't be all it could be.

W

I agree and will buy it regardless, but I don't think they'll include all the live tracks and alternate versions I want to hear. I know this stuff exists because I have it, but official releases are always better than MP3s.

A decent CD version of Live Evil would be good too. They butchered the 1996 Castle reissue to fit it all on one disc.

W

Crabby said:
I was lucky enough to see the original lineup last year, but I'd love to see this even more if it happens.

I saw the origional lineup at Ozzfest and it sucked.