BLACK SABBATH's TONY IOMMI On Possible New Collaboration With TONY MARTIN: 'There's Nothing...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with EonMusic conducted at this year's Metal Hammer Golden Gods event, Tony Iommi was asked about the possibility of a renewed collaboration with former BLACK SABBATH singer Tony Martin. "Yeah, Tony Martin said that," Iommi confirmed. "Is there a possibility that that might happen? There's a possibility to anything, really. There's nothing set in stone. I just spoke to him about maybe one day doing a couple of things, but I've spoke to a lot of people about that." Iommi also said that he would like to see SABBATH's Tony Martin-era albums re-released. "Yes, absolutely," he said. "I'd like to get them reissued again, absolutely. I think they were good stuff that some people never even heard." BLACK SABBATH released six albums with Tony Martin on vocals: "The Eternal Idol" (1987), "Headless Cross" (1989), "Tyr" (1990), "Cross Purposes" (1994), "Cross Purposes Live" (1995) and "Forbidden" (1995). Martin told Metal Jacket Magazine last month that he would also be in favor of reissuing the albums from his era of BLACK SABBATH, featuring bonus material, including some new music. "It is definitely possible," he said. "I spoke to [Iommi] just a few weeks ago. He's bought a new house and he's building a new studio. He said he needs to set that up and get that all ready. But when he's ready, I'm happy to do it, and I know he wants to do it. And just the fact that he wants to do it, it's, like, 'Oh, yeah. That's cool.' [Laughs] 'That's cool.' 'Cause those albums have been deleted for a long time, and I think they could sound better. Especially 'Forbidden' — oooohhhh… I hate that. It was the end of my time with BLACK SABBATH, so it's so… When I listen to it now, I think how I could make it better. So if he gives me the chance, I would love to do that again. Yeah, the possibility is definitely there. If he doesn't die… [Laughs] But, yes, I'm happy to think that it will be sometime soon." SABBATH finished its year-long "The End" farewell tour on February 4 in the band's hometown of Birmingham, England, closing out the quartet's groundbreaking 49-year career with an emotional 15-song set. The band decided to make this tour its last because Iommi, who was diagnosed with cancer in 2012 and is currently in remission, can no longer travel for extended amounts of time.

Continue reading...