BLACK SABBATH's TONY IOMMI To Host Fundraising Lunch For New Chemotherapy Center

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Legendary BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi willl host a charity lunch to raise funds for the cancer unit where the band's late keyboardist Geoff Nicholls was treated. Tony will be on hand at Birmingham, England's Opus Restaurant on Friday, April 20 to entertain guests with stories from his life and career with BLACK SABBATH, touring the world with one of the biggest bands of all time. Tony is Patron of Ward 19, the dedicated cancer ward at Heartlands Hospital and is supporting the charity's campaign to raise £150,000 for an extension of cancer services at Solihull Hospital. This unit will increase the amount of cancer patients who can be treated by 170 percent, reducing waiting times, reducing stess and creating a calm and relaxing atmosphere for patients. This prestigious lunch includes a three-course meal and reception drinks. Tickets are £100 each or £950 for a table of ten. There will also be the chance to win some incredible BLACK SABBATH prizes at a raffle that will be drawn over the course of the afternoon. The now-sold-out event starts at 12:30 p.m. with arrival drinks. Tony told Birmingham Live: "The first time I went to Ward 19 at Heartlands was when I went with a friend who was going for chemotherapy for his first treatment. It's something I'd been through before, so he wanted to go along with him for support. You can be anxious going to hospital for treatment for the first time, so it's really important to have a welcoming place to visit. That's when I was approached about being a patron of Heartlands and, after seeing the amazing work they do at the chemotherapy center, I accepted." Iommi was diagnosed with lymphoma in early 2012, shortly after SABBATH announced a reunion tour and album. He underwent treatment throughout the recording of the disc, titled "13", and the subsequent tour to promote it. Iommi said in 2016 interview that "the lowest moment" for him was being diagnosed. He explained: "You automatically wind yourself up saying, 'That's it then,' but that is not always the case. When they tell you, you think, 'Oh God.' That was a low time. I have had a few low times in my life like everybody has, but that was one that stuck in the head." The BLACK SABBATH guitarist successfully underwent an operation in January 2017 to remove a noncancerous lump from his throat.

Continue reading...