Blackmore's Night - Castles and Dreams DVD

dusty0463

New Metal Member
Sep 5, 2004
First off, let me say that although I'm a big fan of Blackmore's Night, I've never liked every single song off their cds. Just like the prog/power genre, they too often stagnate and have many filler type songs mixed in with some great standout songs.

Now, on to the dvd. I don't own very many dvds outside of the prog/power genre, but the ones I do own are mostly new age. This dvd has to be one of the best all around nonmetal concert performances I've ever seen. If you even like Blackmore's night in the SLIGHTEST, you NEED to have this dvd. On the other hand, if you hate Blackmore's night, this DVD probably won't change your opinion, although you will probably still appreciate their amazing performance. The band obviously has alot of fun when they play. It's quite obvious that they absolutely love what they do and it comes across through the chemistry on stage.
For those unfamiliar with Blackmore's Night, the music is Renaissance/Folk based, so if you like that type of music even a little bit, you'll enjoy this dvd quite a bit. The concert takes place in a outdoors medieval setting in Germany. Many of the audience members are dressed in renaissance garb and it's fun to see. Once the intro starts to play and the band hits the stage, you just know it's going to be a magical evening. Although I've never been a huge fan of Deep Purple, my appreciate for the talent of Richie Blackmore was increased tenfold while watching him play various instruments fluidly and feed off the other members of the band. His talent is undeniable. The vocals are really what attracted me to Blackmore's Night in the first place. Not only is Candace the most gorgeous piece of eye candy I've ever seen, but she also has the most beautiful angelic voice I've ever heard. On cd, her voice comes across a bit plain, but still fluid, yet in a live setting, her voice is more than amazing and sounds twice as good as it does on cd. She can bring it live, there's no doubt about that!. I got chills when Candice hit the stage and began singing the first notes of "Cartouche". Those chills continued throughout the dvd as we are treated to some great energetic upbeat folk tunes as well as moving ballads like only Candice can sing them. The backup singers, Sisters of the Moon, also added another dimension to the music which comes through really nicely in a live setting. The rest of the band members are great as well and really come together for an amazing performance. There are some real treats in this concert, like the very emotional ballad, "Once in a million years" or the stomping and fun "Home Again". "Village in the Sand" is one of my favorites, especially when Richie pulls out the electric and busts out some great emotional vintage playing. "Ghost of a Rose" is another favorite of mine. For some reason when Candice sings this song, I can't help think of Sharon in Within Temptation. Perhaps it's just the way the vocals are arranged.
I suck when it comes to writing reviews, but I just wanted to put my thoughts down for this one as I really can't find anything wrong with it.

So light some candles and incense and sit back with the headphones plugged into the TV and be prepared to be treated to one hell of a show.

Dusty

A friend of mine bought me Shadow of the Moon on a random idea a few years ago, and it's turned out to be one of my favorite CDs. I also rather like their cover of "Diamonds and Rust."

dargormudshark said:
is it as good as the Under A Violet Moon tour video?

Hmm, I haven't heard the Violet Moon video. Didn't even know there was such a thing, but regarding "castles and dreams", the reviews on Amazon.com state that it's one of their best ever. I haven't found anyone that doesn't like it yet that I showed it too, at least those that like the band even the slightest...

Dusty

jaimek said:
A friend of mine bought me Shadow of the Moon on a random idea a few years ago, and it's turned out to be one of my favorite CDs. I also rather like their cover of "Diamonds and Rust."

Yea Jaime that's my favorite one too, with Under a Violet Moon coming in as a close second. I'm sure you'd love the dvd, just something to look for if ya see it cheap in the store :).....

Dusty

I've always liked Blackmore's Night, but this DVD pushed me over the edge. Seeing them visually adds so much to the spirit of the band! I wrote the lead review currently on Amazon.com:

Get out your bodices and doublets...

...and travel back in time. The renaissance to be exact. With this DVD concert, Blackmore's Night will take you on a very magical journey into a land of Castles and Dreams. Quality wise, this is as good as it gets. Awesome video and audio, and a two-hour courtyard stroll through bonus material where the band often breaks into song in restaurants, on trains, and in castle halls.

Extras aside, I would buy this DVD for the concert alone. Blackmore's Night, stage and musicians decked out in full renaissance, easily drew me into their world of bards and minstrels. I couldn't help it, they had me dancing and clapping along in my own living room.

It's always nice to see artists having so much fun performing their craft. Watching Castles & Dreams, one can only come to one conclusion; Blackmore's Night really enjoys playing their music. Even the ever-stoic Ritchie Blackmore can be seen laughing and teasing his bandmates (in between constant fiddling with his equipment as the show goes on). Up front, Candice Night is absolutely captivating. If you're not in love with her yet (be you gay, straight, male or female), you will be after watching this concert.

Blackmore's Night is a refreshing band in my opinion, writing songs that simply get back to basics. It's all about the melody here, a unique combination of medieval folk music and rock-n-roll. I didn't know it until I bought Castles & Dreams, but Blackmore's Night is a very improvisational band. While playing their many entrancing songs, they'll often break off into an instrumental jam session or spin off on some medley combining BN material and classical pieces, along with snippets of Blackmore's previous bands, Deep Purple and Rainbow. Ritchie plays a myriad of ancient string instruments on stage, including several songs where he straps on his signature Fender Strat (complete with age-old scratches, nicks and cracks) for a very entertaining blast from the past.

The sound on this DVD is superb and the band sounds much heavier live than they do on their studio albums. This should please Deep Purple and Rainbow fans like myself. However, the melody and the hypnotising beauty of this music is not lost for those who like Blackmore's Night for their softer side.

I recommend this for ALL Blackmore's Night fans, and if you've yet to hear them, this DVD would be a great starting point (especially considering the price tag isn't that much more than a regular CD). If you don't check this out, it will be your loss as a music fan.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I've always liked Blackmore's Night, but this DVD pushed me over the edge. Seeing them visually adds so much to the spirit of the band! I wrote the lead review currently on Amazon.com:

Get out your bodices and doublets...

...and travel back in time. The renaissance to be exact. With this DVD concert, Blackmore's Night will take you on a very magical journey into a land of Castles and Dreams. Quality wise, this is as good as it gets. Awesome video and audio, and a two-hour courtyard stroll through bonus material where the band often breaks into song in restaurants, on trains, and in castle halls.

Extras aside, I would buy this DVD for the concert alone. Blackmore's Night, stage and musicians decked out in full renaissance, easily drew me into their world of bards and minstrels. I couldn't help it, they had me dancing and clapping along in my own living room.

It's always nice to see artists having so much fun performing their craft. Watching Castles & Dreams, one can only come to one conclusion; Blackmore's Night really enjoys playing their music. Even the ever-stoic Ritchie Blackmore can be seen laughing and teasing his bandmates (in between constant fiddling with his equipment as the show goes on). Up front, Candice Night is absolutely captivating. If you're not in love with her yet (be you gay, straight, male or female), you will be after watching this concert.

Blackmore's Night is a refreshing band in my opinion, writing songs that simply get back to basics. It's all about the melody here, a unique combination of medieval folk music and rock-n-roll. I didn't know it until I bought Castles & Dreams, but Blackmore's Night is a very improvisational band. While playing their many entrancing songs, they'll often break off into an instrumental jam session or spin off on some medley combining BN material and classical pieces, along with snippets of Blackmore's previous bands, Deep Purple and Rainbow. Ritchie plays a myriad of ancient string instruments on stage, including several songs where he straps on his signature Fender Strat (complete with age-old scratches, nicks and cracks) for a very entertaining blast from the past.

The sound on this DVD is superb and the band sounds much heavier live than they do on their studio albums. This should please Deep Purple and Rainbow fans like myself. However, the melody and the hypnotising beauty of this music is not lost for those who like Blackmore's Night for their softer side.

I recommend this for ALL Blackmore's Night fans, and if you've yet to hear them, this DVD would be a great starting point (especially considering the price tag isn't that much more than a regular CD). If you don't check this out, it will be your loss as a music fan.

Great review!!! glad to see I'm not alone regarding my feelings about this DVD... :)

No, you're not alone dusty! This DVD is so good that it has actually improved my listening enjoyment when I go back and listen to the studio albums. I've now got their live CD, Past Times with Good Company, on my wishlist. It's blatantly apparent that Blackmore's Night is more suited for LIVE music than it is studio.