Blackwelder: Scheepers, ex-Angra drummer etc

I often wonder what would have happened if Scheepers would have gotten the gig with Judas Priest instead of "Ripper", not that the two Priest/Owens collaborations were bad.

I often wonder what would have happened if Scheepers would have gotten the gig with Judas Priest instead of "Ripper", not that the two Priest/Owens collaborations were bad.

Well, I thought Demolition and Jugulator were quite weak, and it wasn't Ripper's fault... These are albums I'm never intended to play anymore...

Scheepers never actually auditioned for Priest. It was something his manager brought up to him, but he didn't do it. I read an interview where he said that and he also said he was glad he didn't because he thought Jugulator was weak.

Scheepers never actually auditioned for Priest. It was something his manager brought up to him, but he didn't do it. I read an interview where he said that and he also said he was glad he didn't because he thought Jugulator was weak.

Yeah, the legends of the Priest audition process are basically all nonsense—they more or less just picked Ripper. Devin is pretty much the only other person they actually approached, and he passed because he was so much younger than everyone else in the band. (He was 23-24 at the time.)

Yeah, the legends of the Priest audition process are basically all nonsense—they more or less just picked Ripper. Devin is pretty much the only other person they actually approached, and he passed because he was so much younger than everyone else in the band. (He was 23-24 at the time.)

What about D.C. Cooper? I always heard that the 3 "finalists" (even though some of them bever actually auditioned, like Ralf) were Ripper, Ralf and D.C. Was this just an urban legend?

What about D.C. Cooper? I always heard that the 3 "finalists" (even though some of them bever actually auditioned, like Ralf) were Ripper, Ralf and D.C. Was this just an urban legend?

As I understand it, Glenn had a list, but they never conducted any sort of formal audition process. Like, he heard Devin sing "Sinner" on that tribute album, decided he liked it, and then asked him if he wanted to be in the band. Devin passed, so Glenn kinda just kept going until he heard the next guy he liked. He ended up landing on Ripper.

I don't know about D.C., and I don't know about Ralf, although I tend to believe Ralf when he says he was never approached. It seems like the whole process was pretty slapdash—way less formal than Maiden's, which actually did consist of auditions and finalists and whatnot.