Blakkheim interview

Lyre's Harmony

Lunatic Soul
Sep 14, 2009
On the interview with nystrom, he says theres a pure doom metal song among other things such as folk(!) and "We're doing a few very daring moves and touching some musical territories that might not be everybody's cup of tea" any thoughts? (all from the terrorizer interview on minisite. also notice a full band interview added!)

Doom doesn't have to have growls, traditional doom is all operatic type vocals. Not my cup o tea but people still listen to the Candlemass style of doom. I'm guessing by a doom song on the new album they just did something slower and heavy Kata style. TGCD did have some screams here and there so you never know, can't fuckin wait till this album is out.

I love Candlemass, but I was wandering because the new album having a song with growls AND doom metal would probably make me like...buy the thing.

Katatonia doom, unless you consider disc. ones to be doom, has growls imo. a little worried that the new musical areas may be a more industrial/techno-y type sound due to how widely accepted Unfurl has become but i guess we'll see.

Defining any band like this is rather ridiculous, most of Katatonia is just good rock, yes its heavy, but when you learn a lot of the riffs they just feel like twisted rock riffs, and rock progression in chords.

So I class katatonia as a dark rock, most who listen as well tend to like it and they don't tend to like metal genres.

Well, to be doom metal that song has to be (quite) slow and somewhat heavy. It's probably still going to include clean vocals or who knows if for example Mikael Åkerfeltd provided some quest growls. Probably not but that would be cool. I think it's going to be more like traditional doom metal in Katatonia style and not that much like funeral doom metal or doom/death metal. Most likely it will include some synths though so then it would be different than for example Black Sabbath and bit more like, lets say, My Dying Bride. Hopefully and most likely it will still sound like Katatonia and not like some other band.