NEW HAMMERING MOSS interview!

Manbient

Queer Old Man
Jan 12, 2002
Calgary, AB, Canada
www.bumblelovesmusic.com
Here it is! The Latest interview with the incredible Hammering Moss. The only one available for the interview was Michael Cody. Here are his responses: (I'm Mikey, he's Michael BTW)

Mikey says:
1) You are by far a skilled musician. What made you chose the style for Hammering Moss over all others?

Michael says:
Well, this style of music kinda came automatic to my skills. Our skills are still quite limited, but we still try to make the most of what we can do. We try to hide our technical shortcomings with innovation, emotion, and creativity.

Mikey says:
2) You are by far a skilled musician. What made you chose the style for Hammering Moss over all others?

Michael says:
?

Mikey says:
3) Some might say your work is nothing more than childish noises and written sometimes with the intent of merely annoying the listener, like a test of nerves and how long one can last. Do you feel that is true? or is that merely the words of someone not really listening?

Michael says:
Some of our peices are intended to test the listener.. To cause annoyance.. and even nausea. You see, some songs invoke happiness, some invoke sadness or anger. Some of our songs invoke annoyance. It's all part of the emotion. But these testing tracks are intersperced amongst our other tracks of different and varying styles. So it can be all taken as one peice of mixed emotions and feelings. If our music can actually make you physically feel ill, or laugh, then we will have succeeded.

Mikey says:
4) In the stunning acapella piece "Anzac Day", the listener is initially posed the statement "let's see if it's working" which is only spoken once through the song leaving us with quite an unsettling thought... Tell us what we all want to know... Was what working? and did it IN FACT work?

Michael says:
We were in fact testing a microphone to see if it was working. And after asking the microphone if it was working, I proceeded to let wail an orchestrated vocal harmony to test different tones, timbres and pitches in the microphone..

Mikey says:
Fascinating! i knew deep inside there was more to it than just words comming out of someones mouth.

Michael says:
Indeed. But the song is also a political statement. Regarding the celebrated anzac day, which celebrates the day the ANZACs (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) Landed in Galipolli in turkey during the first world war. This was one of the most important battles in the war. But our statement is not honouring the fallen. No. It is almost protesting against the endless glorification of war, and the one sided views held by those celebrating these days.. it almost applies to all of these kinds of events, like 9/11.. Kinda like.. Who cares!! Get over it!!

Mikey says:
Wow! i had no idea that was such a deep and moving piece! The vocal work DOES envoke images of pain and suffering.

Mikey says:
5) I happened to notice 2 versions of kekeke on your album, one being a live track. if i recall properly this track was not done by you... what was it like watching Andrew perform? the crowd seems to think it is a football game. Was he playing football, Michael?

Michael says:
The live version of Kekeke is an interesting track. You see, the audience was actually waiting for Dream Theater to play a cover of master of puppets. BUT THEY THOUGHT WRONG! Instead, they got a taste of andrews masterpiece.. But i'm not to sure what the audience thought of it.. What do you think?

Mikey says:
hmm... judging by their response they never noticed anything changed... almost like they were caught in a vicious time loop in which andrew-ish sounds are non existant...

Michael says:
Yes, it was a strange reaction..

Mikey Says:
6) Underwater Adventure is surely the most developed and diverse Hammering Moss album to date... it has lush accoustic pieces such as Underwater Organic Adventure and devastatingly chaotic pieces like Gummi Bears (remix)... do you feel this has somewhat scattered the HM direction, or is it a necessary development for the band?

Michael says:
I agree, the album is a very scattered, and fragmented album, due to the different directions the band members are heading in. It turned out similar to Edge Of Sanity's Infernal. Geographical distance between the members meant it was difficult to work together as a unit, and thusly, there isn't a single track done by all three members. It was very very difficult to make the album flow. The album was almost trashed for this reason, because we simply couldn't get together to record. It's been a difficult time for us. For me, because of a broken relationship, and miving back home to my parents, and andrew moving and living in the city, and chris busy with his studies. It was quite a challenge to get the album out.

Mikey says:
Well as a dedicated fan i am glad that the album did come to be.

Mikey says:
7) The album, for the first time has some very melodic ideas to it, such as Windy, Kekeke, Dragonfly, Crap, Frivolous Vending Bending Dog Dog, and Shoop Doop Doowup... what has been the inspiration for more song oriented ideas for the album?

Michael says:
A lot of inspiration for these songs came from musicians involved in anime series and games, Like Nubou Uematsu and others from anime's like Azumanga Daioh and others. As for the more melancholic guitar peices, a lot of inspiration came from artists like yourself Mikey Smith! As well as David Caswell and Analog Kid, and bands like Pain Of Salvation, Soul Forlorn, Porcupine Tree and Fluerity..

Mikey says:
Wow, remind us to keep inspiring you for more of your excellent playing!

Mikey says:
8) For all the people reading this that aren't familiar with Hammering Moss's Music, can you please describe the physical law regarding "Edwards-Casimir quantum vacuum drive?"

Michael says:
A hypothetical drive exploiting the peculiarities of quantum mechanics by restricting allowed wavelengths of virtual photons on one side of the drive (the bow of the ship); the pressure generated from the unrestricted virtual photons toward the aft generates a net force and propels the drive. If such a drive were developed for space travel, it would be very beneficial for the space program, and would be very inspirational for future hammering moss albums.

Mikey says:
9) The Eyecatch collection is a very unique selection among the Hammering Moss catalogue... the electronica present reminds me of Nu Metal. Are you a Nu Metal band?

Michael says:
Hmm.. not at all. We don't really draw much influence from that genre. We aren't really into catchy melodies or aggression for aggressions sake. But if it wasn't for the accessability of music from the nu-metal scene, I probably never would have gotten into metal in the first place. The eyecatch pieces are more closely related to experimental noisecore and industrial electronica.

Mikey says:
10) So then you're saying it is Nu Metal with a TWIST?

Michael says:
A very large twist. We are also christian southern gospel with a twist, as seen in songs like Woot2

Mikey says:
11) Who has the biggest twist in Hammering Moss?

Michael says:
Arturo Sandoval. He twists so much on Emodene, I think he ruptured his spleen (insert picture of Arturo Sandoval Here)

Mikey says:
Well holy snappin canolies! I decree you correct.

Mikey says:
12) I noticed there were 23 tracks on the new album... if you multiply 2 by 3 you get 6. the 3 of you also ACT 6, which makes 666. do you have a secret satan fetish?

Michael says:
Absolutely. I dream about satan having his way with me at night.

Mikey says:
i knew it. I'd let him pound my love donut too. Also: I noticed Chris is tall. does this make things awkward when you have religious debates?

Michael says:
No. He always seems to make his height an advantage. Once he starts his tall dance, no-one can stop him.

Mikey says:
That's very foolish of him. IS he related to the Goatse man? That is ALSO a foolish man.

Michael says:
Probably distantly related.. I'm sure they have similar genes. But foolishness is still my primary strength. Or weakness. It depends how you look at it..

Mikey says:
Speaking of how you look at it... how do you look at it? i mean literally it is really disturbing, that man stretching his anus... the sheer mechanics of it are mind boggling

Michael says:
It's the mind boggling aspects of the picture that make it so fascinating to look at it. It is something to marvel at, to study. It's not something to hide your eyes from. It's something to open your mind too, to explore, to wonder. The image is in no way sexual, it's simply a work of art.

Mikey says:
You're a clever boy, Michael. That is the most inspiring thing i have heard all year, though i didn't hear it at all i read it, which makes it even more special that i could get confused about reading and hearing. You have talent.

Michael says:
Thank you.

Mikey says:
Ok and for my final question i am going to say a word and you explain what you think of when you hear it. Ok here it is, don't fuck it up: potato.

Michael says:
A potato farm, a potato gun, a rebellion, millions of people with these guns that shoot well cooked spuds at crooked politions who cringe and clutter, tryin to avoid being hit. But once their suits are stained with the cursed potato, they melt, leaving vacant skyscrapers for me to work in and burn my arms on.

Mikey says:
That's very emotional. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Be sure to tell Chris and Andrew i pretty much ignored them in this interview!

Michael says:
It's been an absolute pleasure, except for Andrew and Chris, who gained no pleasure from this interview at all. Thanks Mikey!