Blastbeats

Blast Beat = When the snare is hit at a super high speed and usually the bass drums hit on every 2nd or 4th beat of the snare hits.
Death metal is notorious for this...

In the Metal Slude interview with Danny Lilker...

11. You have the reputation of being very knowledgeable and passionate when it comes to "Metal". Do you have any idea when the first "blast" beat was recorded?

1983, on the song "Makes No Sense", on the first D.R.I. release.

Whatever that means. Anyone?

I think the earliest blastbeat was before sandoval et all, I also don't think it was a jazz drummer either...

Anyway, here's a quote of danny lilker (ex-anthrax/SOD/Nuclear assult et all) answering a question on this very subject:

"11. You have the reputation of being very knowledgeable and passionate when it comes to "Metal". Do you have any idea when the first "blast" beat was recorded?
1983, on the song "Makes No Sense", on the first D.R.I. release."

Full interview (well, not quite an interview as it's metal sludge) can be found here:
http://www.metal-sludge.com/20QuestionsLilker.htm

And a blast beat is sort of "hit the snare and bass drum alternately as fast as you can with the cymbal/hihat on the bass drum stroke" something like that anyway, alternatively everything in sync at once. Basically, it has to be fast to be a blastbeat :)

Worship the blaaaaasssssssssst!