Blind Guardian: A Night At The Opera

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Band: Blind Guardian
Album: A Night At The Opera

Yes, I'm aware this album was reviewed to death all over the place, but I loved it, and I'm happy with the way my review turned out, so here it is anyway!

Let's get one thing straight: This is Metal. Gloriously orchestrated, bombastic at times, gorgeously lilting at others, but metal through and through. There are many fans of the Bards out there who hearken and long for the days of old, the speed metal German madness made famous (overseas, at least) by Hansi and company during the 90s.

Hey, I loved it too. In the year+ now that I've discovered, enjoyed and thoroughly digested the Guardians' catalog, I can say with complete honesty and fervor that A Night At The Opera is their shining moment. The disc cover says they're the "most musically significant band since Iron Maiden." They might very well be. Remember the time when 'Run to the Hills' was on MTV heavy rotation? Blind Guardian can have that impact.

Musically, this album is patterned not far from Queen's heyday (when they realized their talents and just peaked), coincidentally (?) with the breakthrough launch of their own 'At Night At The Opera." Like that album, this is chock full of epic, grandiose music. And moreso than ever, Hansi Kursch's songwriting ability has truly blossomed. The 1-2 punch of "Precious Jerusalem" and "Battlefied" are all you need to know that the Bards are not shedding their metal skin. I mean, just listen to the frantic "Risin' up from the heart of the desert / Risin' up for Jerusalem..." coupled with the warlike, military drum madness provided by Thomas Stauch. It's un-believable! "Battlefield" draws subtly disguised comparison to E.L.O. believe it or not. Listen to the superbly crafted bridge/chorus if you don't remember (or don't believe me). I for one cannot freaking wait to fly to Atlanta for their first concert ever on North American soil! Simply thinking of the entire concert hall belting out "There on the battlefield he stands / Down on the battlefield he's lost / And on the battlefield it ends" - it's going to be, well, epic.

The album never lets up, and never loses focus or momentum. Song after song, Blind Guardian do not descend the mountain it took more than a decade to summmit. With more variety on this disc than the average metal band has in their entire catalog, there is surely something here to please any and all fans of this legendary band, and convert quite a few new fans as well, I'm certain. The album is a masterpiece. Do yourself a favor and take the plunge so you don't miss what's been crafted here.

Score: 10

I am so :mad: that I am gonna miss The Prog Power fest. I wanted to see Blind Guardian live. I myslef would love to hear the crowd singing along with "mirror, mirror". Im quessing they will never do an American tour because their careers are winding down, or so I hear. I think at least Demons and Wizards should do an American tour. That would be bad ass!

Originally posted by IcedEarth556
I am so :mad: that I am gonna miss The Prog Power fest. I wanted to see Blind Guardian live. I myslef would love to hear the crowd singing along with "mirror, mirror". Im quessing they will never do an American tour because their careers are winding down, or so I hear. I think at least Demons and Wizards should do an American tour. That would be bad ass!

Iced...fear not! I'm not sure where you heard this, but they're not shutting down at all! They're planning on a North American tour of some sort for later this year or very early next year. I believe Hansi will then take some time to work w/ Jon for the next Demons album, then it's back to work for the Bards. Anyone know differently?

That is great news! I dont know if Blind Guardians career is dying down but I did hear A Night At The Opera is their last album. It would be great to see a band go out with an album such as that. If I could see them live just once, I will be be overwhelmed!