Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera

NastyJoan

Oct 10, 2001
Santiago de Chile
Ok, now's the time I think to get your impressions of this great album of Blind Guardian the last in their career.

For me this album is not better than Nightfall... I think that there are too many choruses that "hide" the voice of Hansi that is one of the things I like the most of Blind Guardian, also there is a loss in the riff of Marcus and Andre I mean almost every part in the album is just leads and melodies and there aren't heavy riffs like in older songs.

Well despise all of this it is a great album I hope in the future they look a little to the past and start incorporing their old riff style in their upcoming songs, because I think with this evolution in their sound I won't like their next album.

By the way my favorites are Precious Jerusalem, Under the Ice , The Soulforged and Punishment Divineand above all the songs And then There Was Silence. But there is one song that sucks :( and that would be The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight I can't stand that song, well I like your reviews from this album

I think this album is much more than what you make of it...

Most of the choruses that you said "hide" Hansi's voice are created by him with layers - so that you get more of Hansi's voice(s)...
This album is much heavier than Nightfall in Middle-Earth... - there are many heavy riffs and the production makes its sound even heavier.
I can't see what is wrong about having many lead-guitar melodies, that is one of the things that makes this album so great.

I think it's probably their best album - what makes it the best album ever. (and IMO TMATMK is a great and a beautiful song
)

BTW I'm sorry but BG are not going back to do their old riffs, it's just not like them. They will keep on progressing as always.
And they also said that they can't imagine their next album being heavier than this one....

I understand the lyrics , believe me, the fact is that I don't like the song at all.

The chorus "Will you still wait for me..." it's lame
Hansi can do a lot better lyrics than that and all of us know that.
Well I'm a fan of Blind Guardian and I really like the album the fact is that In My Opinion Nightfall is alot better, No is not a lot better it is perfect and that is only my opinion

come on man Blind Guardian.The 80's are over w/ even though this is just my opinion I think power metal bands have great musicans and thats the style of music the lads like to play.But why? To me this style of music is has homosexaul as Robert Downey Jr. and his cocaine habbit.Sorry to be so negative!
Hail to Death/Black metals bands
Coercion
Ebony Tears
Eucharist
Defaced Creation(R.I.P)
Diabolical
Theory In Practice
At The Gates
A Mind Confused

Have you ever heard Blind Guardian?
They are not no ordinary 80's Power Metal band...
I also am not so crazy for Power Metal, but Blind Guardian are very different from all the other bands in that genre. They try to explore new grounds, even for themselves, and they improve on each album. I like Death metal a lot better than Power Metal but still Blind Guardian are my favourite band...

It seems that you haven't even heard them....

oh my god, Blind Guardian have nothing to do with 80's power metal! they are so much different from usual power metal!

by the way, I like A Night At The Opera a lot! I think it's one of their best albums. the drumming is as good as never before, and the choruses are just awesome! it grows on you every time you listen to it. my favorites of the album are "Battlefield", "Under The Ice", "Punishment Divine" and "And Then There Was Silence"

I just ordered ANATO not too long ago, So I should have it soon, I cant wait to get it!!

And blind guardian in my opinion are not just straight power metal, They do have a power metal edge, but also are just pure heavy metal to me... and they are very epic.. I often call them Epic Heavy Power Metal, I know thats a bit much, but hey, thats what I think!

I think it's a great album.I am not a big fan of nightfall(except for mirror mirror and time stands still in the iron hill because those songs rock)but A night in the opera is a very good album.sadly sings destiny is my favorite song there.
I think their best album is imaginations from the other side,still waiting for another album like that one

I agree with Joan.. I love Bg but this last effort is just a little too much. I think that BG needs to get back to their roots just a little bit. No.. a Lot.. if you listen to like Follow the Blind or Battallions of Fear you get such a metal feeling- with the newer releases -you are presented with theatrics and bombastic choruses (which are fine) but if there were a little less of that and more traditional compositions Bg would be perfect!! Its all an opinion- but I think progression is a little over rated-if something isnt broken dont fix it.. the classics never get boring because they are quality and they kick ass. Same thing would apply here.. bands could create new structures in compositions without completely deserting their roots..
ALL Hail the "OLD SCHOOL":headbang:

One more thing... hahah
I totally agree that there were not enough guitar solos etc.. I heard only one that was straight forward melodic and beautiful. where as on previous albums its a constant... does progression mean you have to give up part of what makes metal ...metal? No that would be NU metal...not progression. Alright, I will shut up now. Later all ,
Amy

Okay, first I have to admit, that my fav BG album is Imaginations. That album is a masterpiece! But. ANATO is a new perspective from BG, I wouldn't say it's worse...it's just differs from the others. It has alot more choirs, Hansi's voice is great as always, but somehow...how should I say?! I listened to it many times but there's not much cathing song on the album! Okay, Under The Ice and The Soulforged are the exceptions but they'd have made less difficult, but more "listener-friendly" songs. I don't say that they should change their style, that won't be BG anymore!

Well, I'll see them in octobre here, in Hungary, so then I'll see how will they perform ANATO! :headbang:

Ok, now's the time I think to get your impressions of this great album of Blind Guardian the last in their career.
WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! This is blind guardian's last album? How do you know? Oh well, its good for a band to stop before they get stale. This was my first Blind Guardian album and I think it is incredible. I am surprised you didn't like The Maiden and The Minstrel Knight because I love it!! But I do not think this is Blind Guardians best album.