Blind Guardian - 'A Voice in The Dark'

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
I just finished listening to the new EP and my feelings are pretty much mixed about the new music.

'A Voice In The Dark': very BG, very classic stuff from the early era. It's fast, it's vigorous, the vocals are strong and brassy. Damn good return to form IMO. Hope the rest of the album (minus WOTT) comes like this.

You're The Voice: pretty much the worst BG have ever done. Horrible drumming (feels like a triggered machine) and keys, a whole poppy, happy, awful feel around the whole song. I know it's a cover, but I would expected more from the band. Luckily this is just for the single.

'War Of The Thrones': melodic BG in the vein of ANATO (or some D&W songs from the last album) stuff which works fine in my book. The symphonic elements work alright giving the song a nice texture along with the usual vocal lines and choruses the band is famous for, I may have trim a minute from the song towards the end.
The album version seems to be only on piano (that'll be interesting but I would have done inversely).

'A Voice In The Dark': very BG, very classic stuff from the early era. It's fast, it's vigorous, the vocals are strong and brassy. Damn good return to form IMO. Hope the rest of the album (minus WOTT) comes like this.

I was struggling to listen to A Twist In The Myth this past week. Hopefully they can return to classic form on the new album, a little at least.

I was struggling to listen to A Twist In The Myth this past week. Hopefully they can return to classic form on the new album, a little at least.

Yeah ATITM it's difficult to swallow even for a fan. But this new song in particular reminds a lot of pre-SFB material.

Just say it - it's boring as hell :lol:

I won't say boring, just difficult to listen to, if you grew up with their classic material.

P.S. Iron Maiden AMOLAD is a boring album!