Blind Guardian - "At The Edge Of Time"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
As you may have guessed from the title the new BG album has leaked and thus I am able to review it briefly (I think weach person should do its own deep review of any band/album).

From 9 songs 'Tanelorn (into the void)', 'Road Of No Release', 'Ride Into Obsession', 'A Voice In The Dark' and the ballad 'War Of The Thrones' are basically "Tales From The Twilight World"/"Somewhere Far Beyond" type of material, which means fantastic to see the band taking back the sound.

'Curse My Name' is another typical BG ballad, not bad, but I would have like another rider.

'Walkyries' despite the name is kind of TITM uninspired song.

'Control The Divine' is more IFTOS material, while the 8:56 'Wheel Of Time' is the absolutely symphonic (in the good sense) song, in the way of 'And Then There Was Silence' but shorter (nice use of middle-east melodies).

Some of the songs feel a bit long and thus the album is kind of tiring for the first pass, maybe is my actual mood, so don't dismay.

The final verdict is positive. I think the album can grow and it's definitively better than TITM and also I believe that will appeal both old sound fans and ANATO fans type (I know No-mercy will love, isn't it Greg? :D).

Glad they're getting back to the basics somewhat. Looking forward to this one.