Blinded Colony – Bedtime Prayer

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Blinded Colony – Bedtime Prayer
Pivotal Rockordings – 12 January 2007
By Ryan Starr

31VXqLabblL._AA200_.jpg

Colony… Where have I heard that before? Oh, that’s right. It’s an In Flames album. And I seriously doubt this is a coincidence. Blinded Colony sound exactly like In Flames and Soilwork. If that’s your thing, then you’re going to love this. But even if it isn’t, you may still enjoy it.

I pretty much shy away from this style of music, but I can’t deny that it’s well written. The riffs are heavy, the synth use is tasteful, and the vocals are well done. Denny Axelsson has a good scream and a clean voice that really fits their melodic vibe. It’s not too whiney, but still somewhat emotional. And yes, you can relate that to emo if you want, since Anders Fridén is practically an emo kid himself. Also, guitarists Tobias Olsson and Johan Blomström have a knack for knowing just how much melody or aggression to put into their riffs. There isn’t too much of either aspect, keeping everything in balance.

But has Blinded Colony missed the bandwagon by a few years? As I look at their archives page I see they started in 2002, right when In Flames started to gain mainstream popularity. But it’s taken Blinded Colony five years to gain recognition. I’m afraid they are doomed to be branded an In Flames rip off, and that’s really not far off the mark. Had they just started a few years earlier, they probably could have been accepted as their own act, and gained huge popularity in the process.

Official Blinded Colony Website
Official Pivotal Website