BLINK-182 Drummer Turns Down SLAYER

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
BLINK-182 Drummer Turns Down SLAYER Gig! - Dec. 16, 2002

BLINK-182 drummer Travis Barker has turned down an opportunity to join SLAYER as a replacement for Dave Lombardo, the skinsman revealed to Sweden's Close-Up magazine.

"I've never revealed this before, but a few months ago, I was offered the position as the replacement for Dave Lombardo in SLAYER," he told the magazine. "It would have been fun – they're my childhood idols, but I don't know… I'm happy with what I've got going right now."

Barker, whose lengthy resume includes stints in TRANSPLANTS and BOX CAR RACER, is believed to have been approached about the SLAYER gig before the band and Lombardo reached an agreement for Dave to stick around long enough to record the group's next CD, tentatively due in early 2004.

In an interview with MTV conducted in October, Barker expressed his appreciation for extreme metal music, stating that "I grew up on WHODINI and RUN-D.M.C. and SLAYER and KING DIAMOND and THE CLASH. We've always loved all these types of music." An article published in Teen Music earlier this year listed SLAYER's "Reign In Blood" as one of Barker's top two CDs of all time, an honor it shared with THE POLICE's "Live".

HAha ! the Police "live" as one of his top 2 albums?

enough said. ...PALEEEZE ! ! !

Why is this so funny to you? The Police were a great fucking band and that live album was recorded on their best (and final) tour -"Synchronicity"

I'm surprised they offered him that spot. What would the fans think?

Why? I'm not. They turned down Gene Hoglan and Glenn Evans (2 of the very best metal drummers) a few years ago before they got Bostaph and now they turn around and offer the job to some guy from a trendy shit band. It doesnt surprise me at all. In fact it would surprise me even less if those clowns listen to Blink 182 :lol: I know they listen to a lot of shitty bands.

Well, It's kinda weird........I don't care about the guy that will be on the drums.......since I don't care about Slayer anymore :), after God Hates Us All, an album that I (personal opinion, sorry) dislike.
I think the person who will replace Lombardo must be good enough to play Slayer songs. And I don't think that Travis is a good replacement, I mean, he may be good, but his present band does not show me any technique and guts to play in Slayer

The one thing that needs to be taken into account is the fact that even though the guy is in a band that doesn't require a fast drummer, he could be fast as hell! Until I hear the guy play Angel Of Death I will not judge him based solely on the fact that the band he is in blows!

Slayer has lost it- damn- maybe next they will turn to the drummer of creed -god it is hard to make fun of this choice- i mean what band puts out more simplistic music than Blink 182, who could they pick that would be more of a joke? This is just got to be a joke, if not, well maybe slayer is going after a different audience- those target 12- 14 year olds the advertisers etc are all trying to capture- they have spending money.

The Police aint bad- the drummer plays reggae beats, thats the reason he probably likes it.

There are alot of great drummers out there, but most are already in established bands. But a most important factor everyones left out(and very important): Do they like him as a person & want to live with him on a tour bus & travel the world as one big happy family. Can they drink with him, eat with him, be around eachother for hours & days at a time. A bands is like a marriage, your wife can be nice, & pretty in public, but a real bitch in private & at home. So there are alot of drummers who can play the material, & are professional, but can there personalities survive within the band............they thought this guy could?

There are alot of great drummers out there, but most are already in established bands. But a most important factor everyones left out(and very important): Do they like him as a person & want to live with him on a tour bus & travel the world as one big happy family. Can they drink with him, eat with him, be around eachother for hours & days at a time. A bands is like a marriage, your wife can be nice, & pretty in public, but a real bitch in private & at home. So there are alot of drummers who can play the material, & are professional, but can there personalities survive within the band............they thought this guy could?

You make an EXCELLENT point Deadly! Do we know if this is even true about this blink 182 guy though? Or just a silly rumor?

Anyway,
now lets go back to the time before they hired Paul Bostaph when they turned down the best metal drummer ever (IMO) -
Gene Hoglan.
Here's my thoughts (which I've shared with Gene)
1) Gene is a metal icon and Slayer couldnt allow him to be the focus of attention. It wouldnt be good for their huge egos.
2) Gene is a WAY better musician / song writer than Jeff, Kerry and Tom put together. Just listen to "Time Does Not Heal" which is like 95% Gene and you'll notice the superior songwriting / musicianship. He'd have shown them up big time!
3) They needed a guy they could simply "use" who wouldnt try to interfere with what they do. They just wanted a guy, any guy who could play THEIR songs...period the end. (this all makes perfect sense too!)
Both Gene Hoglan and Glenn Evans are better drummers than Paul (IMO), but Paul got the job because he FIT PERFECTLY WITH THAT PARTICULAR BAND (and apparently they got along too. Although I did hear through a very reliable grapevine....well nevermind its irrelevant here)
Anyway,
Paul was the perfect replacement for all these reasons.
I dont know about anyone else, but when Divine Intervention came out, (which by the way I think is a fantastic underrated record and is much better than Seasons, Diabolus and God Hates) if I hadnt known Dave wasnt playing on that record, I wouldnt have known by listening to it.
Paul kept the signature Slayer sound alive and going and didnt disrupt anything and I think whoever they hire next has to be able to do the same thing (although the last 2 records have sort of killed off that signature sound anyway) If Dave doesnt come back, they will have to be VERY careful who they hire.
If Gene or Glenn were to have been hired youd notice either of their distinctive styles in the music even if they had no part in the writing of it.

What about John Tempesta??? Whats he doing? I know he's filling in on this mini Testament tour, but Id love to see him in SLAYER!
He should absolutely try out!

Ok, I'm done ranting and rambling now...

HUNGER, thats an excellent point too.
I saw an Slayer interview when they was in Brazil, back in 1998, and you can see Tom, Kerry and Jeff answering the questions, and Paul just with his mouth shut, without saying a word, that fits with the Slayer's "huge egos" you've mentioned.......
I agree with you when you said about Divine, IMO, is really underrated album, and it's better than Diabolus or God Hates Us All.........
and the reasons you've mentioned, I totally agree........

Slayers songwriting has been what has made the band, of course they dont want someone to come in and f**k with it.

I dont think they have huge egos, just that they say to prospective drummers "This is how we have always done it, and this is how its always going to be". Even Dave Lombardo never contributed to the songwriting or anything. From all the interviews I have seen, they seem to be pretty laid back, they just want a DRUMMER, not a songwriter.

Kerry King did say they were looking for someone a little younger because the guys in the band felt they would keep going for 5 or more years, so they wanted someone who could keep up with that on the drums (and drumming in Slayer would be about the toughest drumming slot out there because they play so many shows).