Blotted Science guitar tips?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Is anyone here familiar with the band Blotted Science? http://www.myspace.com/blottedscience

I've been really wanting to embrace and learn how to play / write guitar riffs in Ron Jarzombek's style. I'm definitely planning on buying his upcoming instructional DVD; but until then, I'm stuck trying to figure stuff out by ear, it seems.

I really love the track "Synaptic Plasticity", but I can't find the sheet music/tabs for it anywhere. All the videos or videos I see of people playing this are all playing it up to speed. I'm not very good at transcribing stuff by ear, so I was hoping someone on here could be of some assistance? (Can any of you recommend some good programs to slow down audio to learn by ear w/out changing pitch? I use Reaper for recording... does Reaper have any sort of way of doing that?)

In regards to writing stuff like this... I'm also really digging bands like Threat Signal, Meshuggah, Bulb / Periphery, Sikth, etc.
Can anyone suggest good songs to learn or things I can practice to learn how to play stuff that is very rhythmically focused like this with weird tunings and odd timings?

I don't have a 7-string or 8-string, so I have to rely on down-tuning my 6 string. So any suggestions you have for 6-string players would be great. (I'm pretty sure Rob J. recorded Blotted Science's album with his 6-string tho.)

Thank you, in advance, for any help, suggestions, guidance, links to tabs/sheet music/videos, etc. :)

-Jesse

Is anyone here familiar with the band Blotted Science? http://www.myspace.com/blottedscience

I've been really wanting to embrace and learn how to play / write guitar riffs in Ron Jarzombek's style. I'm definitely planning on buying his upcoming instructional DVD; but until then, I'm stuck trying to figure stuff out by ear, it seems.

I really love the track "Synaptic Plasticity", but I can't find the sheet music/tabs for it anywhere. All the videos or videos I see of people playing this are all playing it up to speed. I'm not very good at transcribing stuff by ear, so I was hoping someone on here could be of some assistance? (Can any of you recommend some good programs to slow down audio to learn by ear w/out changing pitch? I use Reaper for recording... does Reaper have any sort of way of doing that?)

In regards to writing stuff like this... I'm also really digging bands like Threat Signal, Meshuggah, Bulb / Periphery, Sikth, etc.
Can anyone suggest good songs to learn or things I can practice to learn how to play stuff that is very rhythmically focused like this with weird tunings and odd timings?

I don't have a 7-string or 8-string, so I have to rely on down-tuning my 6 string. So any suggestions you have for 6-string players would be great. (I'm pretty sure Rob J. recorded Blotted Science's album with his 6-string tho.)

Thank you, in advance, for any help, suggestions, guidance, links to tabs/sheet music/videos, etc. :)

-Jesse

Work on some ear training:) Being able to work out stuff by ear can take you a long way and helps with being able to develop a good sense of melody and note choice.

Work on some ear training:) Being able to work out stuff by ear can take you a long way and helps with being able to develop a good sense of melody and note choice.

Any suggestions on how to go about working on ear training?

I'm used to learning melodies by ear, but it's always been hard for me to distinguish multiple notes when chords are being played. I've learned some Marty Friedman and Joe Satriani stuff by ear, but it's fast syncopated rhythms like these bands (Blotted Science, threat signal, sikth, etc.) that are a real bitch for me. :lol:

From what I have heard, they use drop 1 step 7 strings on guitars. Sounds like it to me as well. Outside of that, I will be of no help to you! :D any time I can't find tabs, I just sit down and play a part over and over again and try to replicate it on the instrument until it sounds accurate.

Activation Synthesis Theory is by far my favorite on that CD!

^^^ Awesome find man! Its like, throw all the notes in a hat, pull em out and thats your order! hahaha!

I use a program called Transcribe, it's great when training your ear, you can slow down tunes, change the pitch etc.

And I would definitely suggest learning Sikth, learn the whole "Death of a Dead Day" album and your playing will improve!

Blotted Science = :headbang:

i think youll just have to have a tech metal overload. sit there and listen to it all day everyday, until the simpliest things in your life, like talking, end up in weird timings and patterns.
"Can... i get a.... number one ^meal^ combo pleeeaAAAAAAAAAA..s...s...se. no pickles."
then youre bound to play that way:)

or you could just play guitar over a disney characters speaking parts:lol: well, that was in Spastic Ink. still Ron though. lol gosh he's awesome:D

I just got off a Corpse tour (flew home today, wish it was still going!!) and HOLY FUCK Alex Webster is an insane bassist. Some of the shit he would fuck around with at soundcheck was just mindblowingly awesome. Haha!