Blues / Blues-Rock recs.

IknowSATAN

Mar 15, 2008
I'm pretty much a big fan of Gary Moore and Eric Clapton, but I also enjoy some good Mississippi blues as well such as "The Three Kings" - B B King, Albert King, Freddie King ( not from mississippi ).

Can you recommend me some more artists like the ones above ?

Thank you for your time.

Can you recommend me some songs from Doyle Bramhall ? At least the ones you think are good.

Joe Bonammasa is a top knotch guitar player and his music covers all kinds of blues from a more modern commercial blues sound to traditional.

Buddy Guy is spoken highly of but I never got around to getting any of his material.

Doyle BramhallII worked on the album The Arc Angels after SRV was killed. The band was D Bramhall, Charlie Sexton, Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton. Shannon and Layton were with SRV in Double Trouble. Doyles' father Doyle Bramhall was a drummer and wrote some songs with SRV. An album to check out by the Father is Birds Nest on the Ground. SRV plays on a couple of the tracks. As you can garner, the Bramhall's lineage was with SRV, and probably Jimmie Vaughn of at the time, The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Another excellent guitarist you may enjoy is Chris Duarte. He plays in the "texas" style. Also, give Johnny Winter a serious listen.

once youve heard the best then theres the rest

What began as scattered rain drops in the vast pararies and plains, wicked up in the dry sand and tributaries until the earth could absorb no more and began filling the streams, flowing down the Colorado to the streets of Austin becoming the Texas flood... and so flowed the water blue

Albert King is the best King if you ask me.

Blues rock recs? Check out Lance Lopez, a new kid like Joe Bonamassa but more balls to the wall!

Don't neglect Peter Green, in my eyes, the coolest bluesman of them all.

Not to mention the illustrious Robin Trower, favored (for some reason) by Mikael Akerfeldt and Phil Anselmo...

Also dig Roy Buchanan, perhaps the most unique guitarist of his era. Plus the dude more or less invented pinch harmonics.

"When I get to Hell, I will speak very highly of you." Seriously, check Roy out, he's fuckin' ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
once youve heard the best then theres the rest

What began as scattered rain drops in the vast pararies and plains, wicked up in the dry sand and tributaries until the earth could absorb no more and began filling the streams, flowing down the Colorado to the streets of Austin becoming the Texas flood... and so flowed the water blue
fanboy :lol: JK

What about Mick Taylor and Mike Bloomfield? Great players...

Taylor kicks ass :kickass: Keith wished he had Taylor's talent much less Brian's as well :

Last edited by a moderator:
my understanding was he was looking for more pure forms of the blues not blues based rock

Jimi Hendrix "Blues" is a good disc

That Roy Buchanan video Roy's Bluz is fuckin' phenomenal. One of the, if not, the best song he ever did. This cat was horribly underrated. Practically created pinch harmonics.

Doyle BramhallII worked on the album The Arc Angels after SRV was killed. The band was D Bramhall, Charlie Sexton, Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton. Shannon and Layton were with SRV in Double Trouble. Doyles' father Doyle Bramhall was a drummer and wrote some songs with SRV. An album to check out by the Father is Birds Nest on the Ground. SRV plays on a couple of the tracks. As you can garner, the Bramhall's lineage was with SRV, and probably Jimmie Vaughn of at the time, The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Another excellent guitarist you may enjoy is Chris Duarte. He plays in the "texas" style. Also, give Johnny Winter a serious listen.

He's also played with Roger Waters on the In the Flesh Tour. I don't know specific songs to recommend; he's more of a player who shows up here and there and performs live. I know he has a band (called Smokestack, I think); you might check out some of their stuff.

On a side note, I noticed that Gary Moore was mentioned earlier. I'm actually not a fan of his blues stuff, but I love his eighties cheese stuff ("Over the Hills and Far Away," "Out in the Fields," etc.). However, the only albums of his I can find are his blues material. Which album(s) contains his more 80s-esque "epic" stuff.

I've had this Hendrix "Blues" disc in rotation for a few days now. I have to say I believe this compilation contains his absolute best examples of improv. The depth of his trips he goes off on amazes me and I find little of it redundant, seems like a endless flow of expression. Most standout track to me beside the 12 string Hear my Train a Comin', and two versions of Redhouse which was always good is the studio Born Under a Bad Sign jam... seven and a half minutes of blues improvisational genious. Even this version of Voodoo Chile alone is worth the price of admission.

On a side note, I noticed that Gary Moore was mentioned earlier. I'm actually not a fan of his blues stuff, but I love his eighties cheese stuff ("Over the Hills and Far Away," "Out in the Fields," etc.). However, the only albums of his I can find are his blues material. Which album(s) contains his more 80s-esque "epic" stuff.

Someone I need to catch up on too. I'd never heard him until Still got the Blues came out and only had that borrowed for a spell so I cant advise either way. But you have got to love "Parisienne Walkways" thats got expression as good as Gilmour and the best of Carlos.

I'd like to hear his work in Colosseum II. He seems to have had a broad career participating in many recording besides his solo work.

I enjoy putting some Blues on from time to time, and Delta stuff is by far my favourite. Can't believe none of the following have been mentioned:
Howlin' Wolf
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
Mississippi Fred McDowell
Lightin' Hopkins

All legends. Fred McDowell and Lightin' Hopkins both played very stripped down, one-man-and-guitar stuff, whilst Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters started out similar and moved towards fuller arrangements later on.

So I just bought Gary Moore's album Wild Frontier which has the song "Over the Hills and Far Away." Apparently it's very Celtic-influenced and metal-y. I'm excited to hear it.

Also, I got it for $2.91 on Amazon. Score. :cool:

So I just bought Gary Moore's album Wild Frontier which has the song "Over the Hills and Far Away." Apparently it's very Celtic-influenced and metal-y. I'm excited to hear it.

Also, I got it for $2.91 on Amazon. Score. :cool:

Thats a great song done by him, the powermetal band that covered it whos name has fortunantly excaped me sucked it up pretty good wth powermetal/symphonic gayeties. Who was that Epica...

I never heard him play a lick of blues but if your into that Celtic vib Pat and have no problem with all instrumental music you should check out some of Steve Morses solo material, a bit different yet, I think maybe more influenced by American Celtic music of the Appalacia.

I've heard some random Morse tunes, I'll have to look into him more.

Also, it was Nightwish who covered "Over the Hills and Far Away," but lots of bands have done it. Thyrfing actually did a pretty bad version of it on their album Urkraft (the vocals weren't great, and it's a very vocal song).