~Blues~

D's essential jazz records, Edition 04.2002: :p

Charles Mingus - "Pithecanthropus Erectus"
Miles Davis - "My Funny Valentine", "Kind of Blue", "Lift to the Scaffold"
John Coltrane - "Crescent"
Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane - 1957, live
Jan Garbarek - "I Took Up the Runes", "It's Ok to Listen to the Gray Voices" (this if you like the more spacey-folk-world-jazz thing)
John McLaughlin - "Devotion" (and this if you like the more King Crimsonish heaviness)
Shakti with John McLaughlin - "A Handful of Beauty" (more like Indian music, with awesome improvisations - pure beauty)

He Who Recommendeth

Blues, John Lee Hooker!!!
also EARLY fleetwood mac.

Jazz, Art Blakey and the Jazz messengers, my favorite of all time (jazz that is - sorry Opeth)
and Dave Brubec.
if you are into acid jazz get St Germain, or if you can PNAU but they are from sydney Australia so you probably can't (allthough mp3?)

Oh and for guitar George Benson some of his stuff is awesome.
The stuff the other guys have suggested is good.

Originally posted by CarcassKreator
Ugh... and some Jazz too! :)

Hm, and some music like Enigma... something simmiler...?

Thanks.

Delerium's Karma is very Enigma-esque :)

But blues - you can't go wrong with john lee hooker, eric clapton (if you consider him blues ;) ), BB king are my favourites :)

Jazz - herbie hancock (early, but his later funk stuff is excellent too :cool: ), the weather report, charlie parker and miles davis I listen to mostly :)

Jeff Healey! I saw him getting into a car outside Healey's bar in downtown Toronto around 5am.. Hope he wasn't driving! (since he's blind and all..)

For Enigma-esque music.. definitely try Delerium. Karma is a good album, so is Semantic Spaces. Check out Afro-Celt Sound System - it's like a fusion of celtic/tribal/electronic music. They've got three albums, the first two are gold. Haven't heard the third one yet..

Check out Chet Baker for jazz stuff - he wrote My Funny Valentine, if I'm not mistaken..

well for blues: otis taylor, michael hill's blues mob and some john lee hooker of course...for jazz, if your looking for some guitars, try django reinhardt. this guy lost two of his fingers and still could play jazz this well...

Nobody's mentioned SRV??? WTF?
You can't go wrong with Johnny Winter, and if you like slide guitar, you need go no further than Elmore James.

Wow, you kids have got good taste! :D
My number 1 favourite is Myles Davis. Grab his "best of" cd, or Kind of Blue. (i have about 11 Myles Davis cds).
Other than that, if you're looking for a wide range of jazz (jazz is just like metal - once you get into the genre, there are tons of sub-genres) check out The Blue Box, Blue Note's Best. It was my first jazz compilation, and it rocks. Has everything from Herbie Hancock, John Coltrain, Thelonious Monk. Excellent, excellent stuff!!

My favourite blues musicians are Albert Collins (live recordings, studio albums aren't so fascinating), John Lee Hooker,Robert Johnson, Roy Buchanan, Memphis Minnie, Blind Willie Johnson, Buddy Guy...

I know it's a very old thread, but interesting...