BOARD IS S....L....O....W.... so what is everyone up to?

TribunalRecords

Record Label(s)/Vocalist
Sep 12, 2007
www.tribunalrecords.net
I have been swamped editing text, prepping the store room for new releases coming in the next 2 months. Getting all the materials prepped for the upcoming CHASTAIN reissues scheduled for February and working out final details of the KENN NARDI solo album.

Having some preliminary chats with the guys in Wulfhook, Visigoth, Intrinsic, and Carl Cannedy of The Rods (about Apollo Ra).

Also keeping the wheels spinning on upcoming Bootcamp titles by MOONCALF, TRIPHAMMER, OF DYING DREAMS and more!

Received a message from vocalist of HARD KNOX and that reissue might actually take shape for 2015! Which is just in time for our planned hard rock style Bootcamp series.

Enough about me...what about all of you?

I'm still digesting the 103 discs I brought back from ProgPower (including a fat stack of Divebomb titles), and looking forward to upcoming shows by King Diamond, Arch Enemy, Kreator, Onslaught, Artillery and Judas Priest.

School is cutting into my reviewing time. I'm still pumping out a decent number of reviews, but I feel like I'm falling behind. Plus, it's hard to keep on top of new music I'm buying in addition to reviewing stuff. I bought a whole bunch of CDs last weekend, but have pretty much split my time between those and stuff to review.

I've got a few shows coming up in October/November: Satan, King Diamond, DTA/Massacre/Obituary, and Onslaught/Artillery. I'm undecided about Sabaton/Amon Amarth. I've seen both bands before, and they're great live, but I don't really want to spend the money.

I'm still digesting the 103 discs I brought back from ProgPower (including a fat stack of Divebomb titles)
Wow, that's crazy! I've never been to Progpower, but this really makes me want to go. The lineup I find is usually hit and miss for me. The 2014 lineup looked fantastic, while the only band I like for 2015 is Hibria. Nevertheless, I imagine that place is a goldmine of power metal CDs! I went to Wacken a couple years ago and it was similar. I came home with about 50 CDs and all sorts of stuff that's a bit harder to find here. I'm going again next year and hoping for a bigger, better, and more obscure haul than last time :D

So is it true STRIKER has dropped off the ARTILLERY/ONSLAUGHT tour? And that ONSLAUGHT's singer is not touring with them either?

PROGPOWER merch area is pretty much TONS of CDs and VINYL to buy. I actually came home light this year, but there are some stupid crazy sales that happen on Saturdays there which make it hard NOT to pick something up. I didn't total up my purchases this year, but I am pretty sure I crossed the 50 CD threshold.

So is it true STRIKER has dropped off the ARTILLERY/ONSLAUGHT tour? And that ONSLAUGHT's singer is not touring with them either?

Both true. I'm not terribly concerned about no Sy Keeler since they got Neil Turban to fill in, but Striker dropping off is disappointing. The replacement is a small, unsigned band. I have nothing against smaller bands, but it seems like they wanted a cheap replacement rather than one of Striker's quality. Someone like Cauldron or Skull Fist would have been a decent replacement (though I've seen those guys many times since we're from the same city).

PROGPOWER merch area is pretty much TONS of CDs and VINYL to buy. I actually came home light this year, but there are some stupid crazy sales that happen on Saturdays there which make it hard NOT to pick something up. I didn't total up my purchases this year, but I am pretty sure I crossed the 50 CD threshold.

This sounds like heaven. I actually think this would be the best part of the festival. Are there a lot of rarer items there? I feel like it's the kind of place where you could pick up any Iron Savior disc, which can't quite be said about anywhere else in North America. Is this an accurate assessment?

Trying to finish recording the new TEMPLE OF BLOOD album and raising two kids!

BTW, I read somewhere that you were releasing material from the little-known Florida thrash band AZRAEL. Please tell me this is true! Is it both demos? They had some amazing chops and is super high-quality. EDIT: Wait ... I just found this on your website. Alright! First day buyer here. I was surprised that Bobby Koelble from DEATH played for them but hearing how tight the guitars are I guess now I'm not.

Another super-tight band with really high musicianship that I think there would be a demand for is AVANT GARDE/ZOOM, featuring that dude from Weezer. I think there would be an interest in this but I imagine Rivers doesn't want to release this because it would soil his reputation with the alternative crowd.

ahhhhh damnit! New STRIKER album is kicking my ass. I was going to make trek north to see the tour.

Not much rare stuff there actually. Sometimes you can find the occasion rare item. Still want to beat up Justin for finding a CORONER "Grin" CD there somehow. haha. Exploding Neds had some rare vinyl there this year that i nabbed some of.

Trying to finish recording the new TEMPLE OF BLOOD album and raising two kids!

BTW, I read somewhere that you were releasing material from the little-known Florida thrash band AZRAEL. Please tell me this is true! Is it both demos? They had some amazing chops and is super high-quality. EDIT: Wait ... I just found this on your website. Alright! First day buyer here. I was surprised that Bobby Koelble from DEATH played for them but hearing how tight the guitars are I guess now I'm not.

Another super-tight band with really high musicianship that I think there would be a demand for is AVANT GARDE/ZOOM, featuring that dude from Weezer. I think there would be an interest in this but I imagine Rivers doesn't want to release this because it would soil his reputation with the alternative crowd.

Yes, AZRAEL will be out in November. it has everything on it. 20 page booklet as well.

I will check out Rivers band, but yes I assume that will never see the light of day.

Good luck finishing the album! I know how it can be with so many other things on your plate. Looking forward to hearing it.

Yes, AZRAEL will be out in November. it has everything on it. 20 page booklet as well.

Yeah! I just got into this band recently and am so glad I can get a high-quality package of all this band's work. Seems like you are always one step ahead of me as a scour the underground for high quality thrash!

I will check out Rivers band, but yes I assume that will never see the light of day.

This is probably my favorite song from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFGIjL_HUA

Very technically competent all-around. I could hear some FATES WARNING influence and apparently he took lessons from Matheos at one point.

Good luck finishing the album! I know how it can be with so many other things on your plate. Looking forward to hearing it.

I'll be sure and send you a copy when it's recorded. I'd like to hear honestly what you think. Along those lines, did you hear the recent CAULDRON BORN album?

ahhhhh damnit! New STRIKER album is kicking my ass. I was going to make trek north to see the tour.

Not much rare stuff there actually. Sometimes you can find the occasion rare item. Still want to beat up Justin for finding a CORONER "Grin" CD there somehow. haha. Exploding Neds had some rare vinyl there this year that i nabbed some of.

Um.... really? And I never knew you wanted 'Grin', I actually had a copy with me the day I ran into you in Greensboro at Biscuitville.

Yes, Striker is off and Onslaught's singer is out. Neil Turbin is replacing him though, so you could get that Fistful of Metal LP signed. :cool:

This sounds like heaven. I actually think this would be the best part of the festival. Are there a lot of rarer items there? I feel like it's the kind of place where you could pick up any Iron Savior disc, which can't quite be said about anywhere else in North America. Is this an accurate assessment?

There are definitely some gems mixed in with the more expected titles. And then you have labels like Century clearing out all their distro leftovers at $1 each. 30 of my buys were from those boxes since they had a lot of Frontiers titles.

This is probably my favorite song from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFGIjL_HUA

Very technically competent all-around. I could hear some FATES WARNING influence and apparently he took lessons from Matheos at one point.

this is AWESOME! I might have to do some digging. definitely fates influence for sure.

check out his hair!! he is in center.
76989_photo.jpg

Yeah, that's my favorite of their demos. Amazing drums and vocal performance. I finally discovered a band before you did! :)

Man, my work has been CRAZY busy, I've lost 2 important employees due to injuries, trying to raise 2 kids and basically, not much free time. The upside is that I've started on my man-cave that will be packed with music and movies, so very stoked about that.

Trying to catch up on some of the new music that has been coming out. Two that have really grabbed my attention at the moment:

Witch Charmer- The Great Depression (great release!)
And possibly album of the year for me.........

Uta has announced that she is leaving the group. That sucks as the last 3 albums Witch Mountain has done with her on vocals have been FANTASTIC!

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional note about Witch Mountain- Mobile of Angels. I was listening to it this morning in the car, solo with no wife or kids, so I was playing it LOUD. Began thinking to myself, "Uta's vocals are a little low in the mix". Then two words washed over me, Billy Anderson.

How many classic albums has this guy fucked up? The production is not bad by any means, it just could be better. My point is, he is considered a legend by many but when I see his name attached to a project, I cringe. I can't think of one album he has produced where I praise the sound. In fact, I feel he has been the detractor on many albums I love. Sleep's Holy Mountain anyone? Great album, but it sounds like shit. Par for the course.

If anyone out there is a Billy Anderson fan, no disrespect personally. And by all means, name an album he has produced that has a stellar production and sound that would grant him the title of legend. Rant over. :heh:

Additional note about Witch Mountain- Mobile of Angels. I was listening to it this morning in the car, solo with no wife or kids, so I was playing it LOUD. Began thinking to myself, "Uta's vocals are a little low in the mix". Then two words washed over me, Billy Anderson.

How many classic albums has this guy fucked up? The production is not bad by any means, it just could be better. My point is, he is considered a legend by many but when I see his name attached to a project, I cringe. I can't think of one album he has produced where I praise the sound. In fact, I feel he has been the detractor on many albums I love. Sleep's Holy Mountain anyone? Great album, but it sounds like shit. Par for the course.

If anyone out there is a Billy Anderson fan, no disrespect personally. And by all means, name an album he has produced that has a stellar production and sound that would grant him the title of legend. Rant over. :heh:

hahaha, nope cannot think of one good one. i am with you.

Man, my work has been CRAZY busy, I've lost 2 important employees due to injuries, trying to raise 2 kids and basically, not much free time. The upside is that I've started on my man-cave that will be packed with music and movies, so very stoked about that.

Trying to catch up on some of the new music that has been coming out. Two that have really grabbed my attention at the moment:

Witch Charmer- The Great Depression (great release!)
And possibly album of the year for me.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gy0wRqtUgk

Uta has announced that she is leaving the group. That sucks as the last 3 albums Witch Mountain has done with her on vocals have been FANTASTIC!

I saw dig this band, but think that might change now with the singer leaving.