BOLT THROWER 4th studio report from Martin Kearns (drums)!

Gaunerin

vanquish the pain
Oct 5, 2001
ensamhetens vildmark
OK, I know I’ve finished my recording, but it looks like I’m gonna be doing the next couple of studio diaries before I hand over to Karl...

Well, everyone’s happy with Baz’s rhythm sound, so that remains untouched throughout his recording. He’ll be doing 2 rhythm tracks per song, and later into it he’ll be doing the melody and solo parts with a more ‘effected’ sound. Once, he’s warmed up, the first couple of songs he runs through pretty easily, although his dodgy back is giving him a few problems. He’s tries a few various recording positions, and eventually adopts the standing stance that gives him the least pain for the rest of the recording! Ah, the joys of being a 30+ musician, haha...

The next song is one of the faster ones, and Jo’s chuffed cos it’s her personal favorite, we all finally decided on a title for it too today, I won’t say now, I’ll let Karl give you an insight into the lyrics and titles later on... Gav’s favorite song is next, this is the epic one on the album, and possibly the title track. Each of us has different faves, so I guess that’s a good sign. The next couple of songs, Baz rolls through relatively easily, just a few ‘wobblers’ (as Andy calls them) on the power chords, but no major problems...

The arrival of Baz’s new guitar stirred things up a little today. He started to set it up with an option of recording some of the parts with it, then when Baz went back to his old one to continue recording the song, the guitar seemed to get wind of the fact it was being ‘phased out’ and completely cut out! An hour of panicking, opening it up, checking wiring, pots, electrics, leads, etc.. and eventually resorting to praising the guitar for its devoted service, and it decided to work again. Co-incidence or….? Anyway, just in case, Baz decides to use the ‘old faithful’ for the rest of the album...

Back to normality and Baz rolls through the next few songs without any problems, and we eventually get to the last few songs. The last 3 were the ones that were slightly weaker than the rest so we know it’s now or never if we want to change things. We decide to spend the time trying out new riffs, and what is eventually agreed on is all for the better. I reckon some of BT’s best stuff has was written in the studio – look at 'Cenotaph'. We still play that song live and it still sounds killer...

Well, that’s about all I can write about the first guitar tracks going down, I guess you have to be here to appreciate what a pleasure it is to hear this album coming together. Maybe we’ll film a bit of studio stuff later on and stick it on the site for you all, we’ll see...

Next up is Gav!
http://www.boltthrower.com