Bolt Thrower without Karl Willets...

Profano

BRAZILIAN METAL HORDES
Jul 30, 2002
Belo Horizonte / Minas Gerais / Brasil
What are you think about Dave Ingram´s performance on Honour Valour Pride? I like his work with Benediction, but Karl will always been the voice of B.T.
bt_ingram.jpg

I actually find Karl a little over-rated. BT have the vocals more in the background than most bands anyway, and I've never really seen what's so great about his vocals (not that he's bad, I like him fine, it's just some people seem to rave about him). I'd put Dave's performance on-par with anything Karl did, he doesn't blow me away either.

But it's safe to say both are better than Allen West :lol:

I love that album, I think he did great and don't really miss Karl. This album is better than anything all the other death metal bands from that era are doing(Cannibal,Deicide,Morbid etc.)

Truthfully from a BT beginner point of view. At first, I didn't even know there was a new singer and didn't think there was THAT much difference in vocals from albums past. I've always heard about the band but didn't start to listen to them or the albums till this year, starting with HVP. I really think their great vocals on all the releases. So I don't see why it matters. My favorite overall BT cd has became 4th Crusade and For Victory.

JAH

*shudders* IVth Crusade is my least favourite BT album....every single song follows exactly the same formula, there's hardly even any tempo variation in it.

There's pros and cons with Dave Ingram imo; it's not as clear cut as who's better in my view. For one thing, Dave makes BT more catchy. His vocals along with the lyrics are syllabically arranged to fit with the music, wheras it wasn't as clear cut when Karl was with the band. Dave also enunciates the lyrics better making trips to the lyric sheet less frequent (though still necessary of course). But where I don't like him as well is sheer force of delivery. He's got a good voice I think, but he simply doesn't sound as visceral or as animal as Karl did. Ok, maybe not Mercenary where Karl was sounding a bit scratchy, but from IBTINL through to ...For Victory, Karl sounds barely human, which I loved. I'm gonna miss Karl a lot, but I certainly don't think they found a bad replacement in Dave.

Originally posted by SculptedCold
...For Victory, Karl sounds barely human, which I loved. I'm gonna miss Karl a lot, but I certainly don't think they found a bad replacement in Dave.

I've been listening to For Victory today at work - I have to say, although I admit to being a BT "beginner", For Victory is better than HVP. Not that one is bad, but For Victory is astounding. There is enough variation on each track to keep me hooked.

HVP gets absorbed in itself a little and flows with little turbulence. Thank god for 7th Offensive sitting in the middle of the album - that is the best track IMO.

Originally posted by JayKeeley
HVP gets absorbed in itself a little and flows with little turbulence. Thank god for 7th Offensive sitting in the middle of the album - that is the best track IMO.

My favourite track is, by far, Inside The Wire. HVP isn't my favourite BT disc, but as soon as that brief intro exploded into double bass and the second guitar, and then Dave belching his best performance on that album (imo) I knew right away that that was my favourite BT song ever. I don't know if I would say it's the best (toss-up between that, 7th Offensive and K-Machine I reckon) but I think it's awesome.

I think Karl was more aggressive and overall meaner/faster in his delivery...and Dave is slower/more depressing..but most of the music on HVP was slow and depressing, so I think he was great on it.

Has anyone seen BT live with Dave? How did he handle the old stuff?

Karl Willets was the sound of Bolt Thrower and he was quite excellent, though he got a bit worse at the later albums (Mercenary, ...For Victory). Well, worse is a subjective opinion in this case since it got a bit more screamy. Dave Ingram is good but he lacks some of the strength that Willets had.

:worship:
Originally posted by MacMoney
Karl Willets was the sound of Bolt Thrower and he was quite excellent, though he got a bit worse at the later albums (Mercenary, ...For Victory). Well, worse is a subjective opinion in this case since it got a bit more screamy. Dave Ingram is good but he lacks some of the strength that Willets had.

I agree.