Bonjour, comment-allez vous?

Oct 26, 2002
United States
angelfire.com
Hello, everyone. It is nice to have become a member of this (apparently) flourishing metal community. For starters, I will share a few short biographical details.

My name is Michael, I'm 21 and I'm a college student studying classical guitar in the music department of Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia. I enjoy classical music as well as metal (I actually got into classical because of black metal, namely Emperor). My favorite composers are Sylvius Leopold Weiss (1686-1750; Baroque lutenist extraordinaire), Manuel Maria Ponce, Isaac Albeniz, Leo Brouwer, Augustin Barrios Mangore, among others.

My favorite metal bands are too long and varied to list, but my top three, which I like to call the Unholy Trinity, are Emperor, Opeth, and Anathema. I will list a few more: Diabolical Masquerade, Immortal, Frostmoon Eclipse, Arcturus, Dissection. I also enjoy many bands discovered through mp3.com such as: Forest Stream (whose Earache debut I am awaiting with baited breath; if anyone can help me to obtain their demos, especially "Last Season's Purity", please contact me), Ashtaroth, Rakoth, etc ad infinitum. If you're curious about anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

@ Fuckwhoevertookdemonofthefall: could you recommend some GOOD classical? I've always liked classical, but never really took the time to look into it ...

Welcome to UM! :wave:

I just thought I would get to practice some French then, but it seems you're American instead. Bah.

Enjoy the forums. :)

@Furious B: Yeah, I'm not too fond of opera either, although Wagner's "Niebelungen" saga is pretty good.

You should check out the great symphonic masterpiece "Symphonie Fantastique" by French romantic composer Hector Berlioz; it's absolutely wonderful. You might also try one of the ones I mentioned above, Sylvius Leopold Weiss. He was a baroque lutenist and, of course, composed chiefly for the lute. He was a contemporary of Bach's (Weiss: 1686-1750; Bach: 1685-1750), but in certain respects, I feel that Weiss is a better composer, although less renown. If you can get your hands on any of his stuff, he's awesome.

Also, you might try Francisco Tarrega, a Spanish romantic guitar composer (1852-1909). Two exquisite pieces of his that I recommend would be "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" and "Capricho Arabe". Check them out.

Of course there's also Beethoven (any of his Symphonies or Piano sonatas would be great), as well as Mozart, Domenico Scarlatti to name a few others. I think that's a good place to start. Feel free to ask me for more recommendations.

@rustymetal: I've been taking French ever since high school (and I'm now in my fourth semester of taking it at college) but I never get to really practice with another person outside the classroom. However, I can understand it and write it very well.

Thanks to everyone for a very warm welcome; it's nice to have a community where we can share our love of metal! :headbang:

Originally posted by fuckwhoevertookdemonofthefall
@Furious B: Yeah, I'm not too fond of opera either, although Wagner's "Niebelungen" saga is pretty good.

You should check out the great symphonic masterpiece "Symphonie Fantastique" by French romantic composer Hector Berlioz; it's absolutely wonderful. You might also try one of the ones I mentioned above, Sylvius Leopold Weiss. He was a baroque lutenist and, of course, composed chiefly for the lute. He was a contemporary of Bach's (Weiss: 1686-1750; Bach: 1685-1750), but in certain respects, I feel that Weiss is a better composer, although less renown. If you can get your hands on any of his stuff, he's awesome.

Also, you might try Francisco Tarrega, a Spanish romantic guitar composer (1852-1909). Two exquisite pieces of his that I recommend would be "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" and "Capricho Arabe". Check them out.

Of course there's also Beethoven (any of his Symphonies or Piano sonatas would be great), as well as Mozart, Domenico Scarlatti to name a few others. I think that's a good place to start. Feel free to ask me for more recommendations.

Thanks alot man :)

Originally posted by fuckwhoevertookdemonofthefall
@rustymetal: I've been taking French ever since high school (and I'm now in my fourth semester of taking it at college) but I never get to really practice with another person outside the classroom. However, I can understand it and write it very well.
Well, in that case I'll try to remember some from over three years ago:

Erm... Ou est la gare? :p

;) I don't really know any conversational French, we only did stuff to get us by, like ordering food and asking for directions.