Book about Metalheads and Metal Music with Mike

Well, just like people use German in international business, and how we still use French in the UN, a lot of musical artists around the world speak English.

Most UN offices actually use English, but that could be to do with the majority being inside the US. English and French are basically the only two languages that are actually used in the UN (there's 6 official languages). And I always thought English was the language to use in International Business?

This Anglo-American language domination is just a passing phase. In a few hundred years we'll speak, like, Chinese to each other here. Simplified Chinese is quite common already.

well, english is of course indeed used in a lot of branches as a common language. but not as much as english speaking people often think ... when there are no native english speakers around, often there is another language used. also in politics or in science or whatever, there are a lot of other languages used. if english would be the lingua franca, than here in Brussels we wouldn't have the need for so many translators in the offices of the UN and Europe.
in science, well I can only speak for my branch, there I know you have to understand (and speak) french and german as well, preferably also some other language (italian is often used, or spanish, or more and more even arabic or turkish, for my branch that is).
it is however true that when you contact some one from another country, you start in english ...
but go to italy or france and try to come by with only english. it's very difficult there. same for japan or china. but I guess the reason that english speakers often think that it is a common second language all over the world, is because mostly people adjust towards english speakers, because we all know that you guys don't really know other languages :) this is a result from the domination for over a century by english speakers.
but of course, this will change eventually ... it will be gradually, don't worry :p

so yeah, in a way you might think of lingua franca, although I wouldn't agree with it. just realize that 90% of the people in the world don't use english, aren't fluent in it or often don't even know the basics, and that in a lot of branches english is only used when english speakers are present. isn't that friendly ;)

well, english is of course indeed used in a lot of branches as a common language. but not as much as english speaking people often think ... when there are no native english speakers around, often there is another language used. also in politics or in science or whatever, there are a lot of other languages used. if english would be the lingua franca, than here in Brussels we wouldn't have the need for so many translators in the offices of the UN and Europe.
in science, well I can only speak for my branch, there I know you have to understand (and speak) french and german as well, preferably also some other language (italian is often used, or spanish, or more and more even arabic or turkish, for my branch that is).
it is however true that when you contact some one from another country, you start in english ...
but go to italy or france and try to come by with only english. it's very difficult there. same for japan or china. but I guess the reason that english speakers often think that it is a common second language all over the world, is because mostly people adjust towards english speakers, because we all know that you guys don't really know other languages :) this is a result from the domination for over a century by english speakers.
but of course, this will change eventually ... it will be gradually, don't worry :p

so yeah, in a way you might think of lingua franca, although I wouldn't agree with it. just realize that 90% of the people in the world don't use english, aren't fluent in it or often don't even know the basics, and that in a lot of branches english is only used when english speakers are present. isn't that friendly ;)

ive been to france and when i went there, it was hard to practice my french because everytime i paused to think, the person would interject with the english word i needed!

of course i realise a vast majority of people dont speak english well or even at all. and i think it's fairly obvious that when there's no english speaking people around, people will use their native tongue. to me, for a language to be considered the lingua franca, it doesnt need to be spoken by 100% of people 100% of the time. its just a language that is used and understood by more people from a wide variety of backgrounds. its can be reasonably relied upon when there is no common language between two parties. but i think we're only going to go in circles here. btw, im not some psycho who thinks english is the only language in the world and everyone should know it. i have great appreciation for culture and difference, its just that english seems to me to have such a hand hold in global use that it is very reasonable to assume its the first language of the world. thanks for your response too.