Book series/Authors you used to love, but are now losing interest in

OrbWeaver

BECAUSE FALCONER
Jan 15, 2007
Illinois, USA
www.myspace.com
Idea shamelessly stollen from Zod (hey, it was a good idea, Zod!) Since many of us are avid readers here on the forum, I wondered the same thing about books/authors that Zod was wondering about bands.

So, which book series and/or author have you lost interest in over time?

I can't read the Redwall series anymore. Every book is essentially the exact same as the one before it. Some innocent mole/otter/mouse/other prey animal is either opressed, or their beloved Abbey is in danger by a rat/stoat/fox/wildcat/other predatory animal, and a hero has to rise up and save the opressed populous, or the endangered Abbey. This is interspersed by mischevious Abbeybabes and elaborate food descriptions. And of course, the prey animals always win.

Just once, Mr. Jaques, let's make a predator a good guy, just to shake things up, eh?

Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel series... the first trilogy was very edgy and graphic, and the heroine was like nothing else out there in the genre. The second trilogy's hero just doesn't measure up, in any possible way, and there's simply not as much going on.

Robin Hobb - the original Assassin series was one of the most amazing things I've ever read, but things went steadily downhill from there, and I can't even read through the first book of her newest series.

George R.R. Martin - simply because of the wait between books. I used to defend him to the extreme, but even I'm starting to tire of the wait, especially considering the fact that the latest book was SUPPOSEDLY mostly finished two years ago.

That's three of my favorite four authors. Is it any surprise that I'm so much more interested in TV than books nowadays?

Some more:

Dave Barry - used to be my favorite humor author, but he's not funny anymore. Just recycled "old guy" jokes.

Terry Goodkind - I used to defend the hell out of this guy too, but his books just got stale.

Raymond Feist - I don't know if he's done anything recently, but his older (earlier-written) books are far more interesting than the later series he came out with.

Star Wars, all EU novels - I obsessively read, and re-read, EVERY BOOK that was released from 1991 through about 2003 or so, but a couple books after Star By Star, which I liked, it was really starting to lose luster. I know, I had to be pretty nutty to make it this far to begin with, but I really loved a lot of EU books that didn't sit so well with others, two examples being Vonda McIntyre's The Crystal Star and Barbara Hambly's Children of the Jedi. I thought I could stick it all the way to the end of New Jedi Order, but eventually the call of too much other good stuff out there just led me away from Star Wars books in general.

Robin Hobb - the original Assassin series was one of the most amazing things I've ever read, but things went steadily downhill from there, and I can't even read through the first book of her newest series.

Weird.

I read the first Farseers book and it was interesting but I wouldn't call it amazing. Though I need to continue in the series. Did you read/like the Tawny man stuff?

However, the Liveship Traders trilogy was brilliant imo.

I haven't read any of her works under the name Margaret Lindholm.

*sigh*

David Eddings... The newest series is so bad, I abandoned it after the second book. Elder Gods or something... The Belgariad, Malorean, Elenium, and Tamuli series and companion books all held my attention. Even loved The Redemption of Althalus, which seemingly nobody else liked. But those Elder Gods are just too much for me.

Goodkind lost me a while back, too, but I did finish The Sword of Truth series. Yay!

I hate to admit it, but I read Xanth books when I was young. I guess everyone has a skeleton in the closet. I think by the 10th book in the "trilogy", even my adolescent mind was sick of them.

I remember enjoying the Amber books as well, but just couldn't finish. The Ender series ended at the first book for me, though I forced myself to read the next two.

...i love the redwall series...right now reading 'the bellmaker'...brian jacques has the dibbuns speaking so cute that i really want to hug them...lol.....(i found a book here at king lek's when i first moved here and really liked it so i put the series on my christmas list)

...but, getting back to the original q...dean koontz.........he has good stories but the endings just suck......they just end....no big finales....'phantoms' had such a bad ending....the only book i read of his that i really enjoyed was 'whispers'...

Spag, I was a Xanth fan when I was younger as well. They were something different for a while. Eventually, they became utterly unreadable.

I'll second the Ender series as well. First book - all time great. Second book - decent. After that, extremely downhill. I didn't pick up the last one, and can't stomach much from Card of late.

Also, the Robert Jordan (RIP) Wheel Of Time series is in this category. I starting reading them since everyone raved that it was the next LotR. By book 10, I was forcing myself to read them and try and keep track of everything. I still haven't read the last one.

As for authors that are still going strong:

Terry Pratchett - I believe he is the Mark Twain of our generation. The first two Discworld books are just okay, but after that they are all excellent.

Stephen Brust - Amazing writer. Great storylines, characters, and conversation.

F. Paui Wilson - I've read all his books, but The Keep series (The Adversary Cycle) and the Repairman Jack novels are all fun reads.

Steve in Philly

George R.R. Martin - simply because of the wait between books. I used to defend him to the extreme, but even I'm starting to tire of the wait, especially considering the fact that the latest book was SUPPOSEDLY mostly finished two years ago.

Exactly what I was going to post. I'm not sure that I care any more, since he seems to show no interest in actually finishing the story. And I thought the last book was really bad, especially when compared to the first three. Ah well...

dt

I enjoy Pratchett from time to time, but I can't take too much at once. I got a chart a while back from someone, that just lists the books by category, so I have stuck to that. I read the Death books first, then moved on. I've only read maybe eight of them so far.

Exactly what I was going to post. I'm not sure that I care any more, since he seems to show no interest in actually finishing the story. And I thought the last book was really bad, especially when compared to the first three. Ah well...

dt

I don't think the last book was bad at all, it did advance the story it just concentrated on characters other than those people expected, given the ending of the book before it. I agree though, its taking him so long to write this book that I'm going to have to go reread the last couple books or something to remember what's going on by the time it comes out. But I know i'll buy it the day it is released anyway (assuming that day comes)...what is annoying is that the guy is in the middle of so many other projects its no wonder the book takes forever. Of course, he's a human being with a life and can do whatever he wants, but as a fan of the series its annoying...

I read the first Farseers book and it was interesting but I wouldn't call it amazing. Though I need to continue in the series. Did you read/like the Tawny man stuff?

However, the Liveship Traders trilogy was brilliant imo.

The original Farseer trilogy is second only to GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire for me, in terms of epic fantasy series with lots of realism, amazing character development, and intrigue. The Liveship series was excellent as well, but not quite on the same level, and the Tawny Man series was still another slight step down for me. If you loved the Liveship series, you should know that Hobb wrote a short story "prequel" to the series, which appeared in an anthology called Legends II, edited by Robert Silverberg.

Her current series is horrible, IMO. I read halfway through the first book, and the only thing that happened was that the kid had a funky "dream" about magic people, and then he went to a military academy and lived his own little fantasy "Wonder Years" saga. That was 300 pages in. I couldn't tolerate it anymore.

I haven't read any of her works under the name Margaret Lindholm.

From what I understand, they're more along the lines of lighter-fare, cliched fantasy novels. Certainly not my thing, as I'm pretty picky about my fantasy.

Robert Jordan - Though it's moot now that he's dead, but his books were all downhill imo.

I kinda agree with George R.R. Martin, but not because it takes so long between books, but because his books are becoming pretty formulaic. The plots are fantasy versions of soap operas: If something good happens, you can bet that something REALLY bad will happen shortly thereafter.

Michael Moorcock - He's still a great writer, but his never stories just don't appeal to me at all. I've read every one I've found, but I haven't enjoyed most of them. :(

Spag, I was a Xanth fan when I was younger as well. They were something different for a while. Eventually, they became utterly unreadable.

Completely agree. Just how far CAN you take a pun? Or a series based on them?

I'll second the Ender series as well. First book - all time great. Second book - decent. After that, extremely downhill. I didn't pick up the last one, and can't stomach much from Card of late.

Yep. His star has fallen a lot. And while I always enjoy reading books about smart/heroic/save-the-day kids, Card returns to that well a LOT.

Also, the Robert Jordan (RIP) Wheel Of Time series is in this category. I starting reading them since everyone raved that it was the next LotR. By book 10, I was forcing myself to read them and try and keep track of everything. I still haven't read the last one.

Agreed, they are overwritten as all get-out...but the last-released book (maybe the last two) DID pick up the pace a lot, and it was clear that things were finally coming to a head (for one thing, everyone was generally headed toward Dragonmount, and that's where we know the climax takes place). VERY curious to see how the last book is finished now, and by whom.

As for authors that are still going strong:

Terry Pratchett - I believe he is the Mark Twain of our generation. The first two Discworld books are just okay, but after that they are all excellent.

Hey, I liked the first two books too, damnit! And he used to use more humorous footnotes back then, too.

But yeah, since then he's established a wealth of great recurring characters.

I remember enjoying the Amber books as well, but just couldn't finish. The Ender series ended at the first book for me, though I forced myself to read the next two.

Wow, I really did like the entire original Amber series.

*sigh*

David Eddings... The newest series is so bad, I abandoned it after the second book. Elder Gods or something... The Belgariad, Malorean, Elenium, and Tamuli series and companion books all held my attention. Even loved The Redemption of Althalus, which seemingly nobody else liked. But those Elder Gods are just too much for me.

Whew, I read The Belgariad, and loved it. Then I read the Malloreon series, and knew Eddings had jumped the shark when he had characters commenting "gee, isn't it amazing how all of this has happened to us before?" And it had. So I bugged out.

Goodkind lost me a while back, too, but I did finish The Sword of Truth series. Yay!

Someyear, I'll go back and re-read it and then finish the series. I just...wandered away after the 4th or 5th book.

Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel series... the first trilogy was very edgy and graphic, and the heroine was like nothing else out there in the genre. The second trilogy's hero just doesn't measure up, in any possible way, and there's simply not as much going on.

Agreed, but I still love the second series. Carey messed up by creating one of the most powerful and interesting female characters in fantasy EVER, so it would be hard for anyone to measure up. Looking forward to book 3. And she's also a really nice lady, too.

Yeah. I'll still devour it when it comes out....if it ever does.....but sheesh! Get a move-on already!

Raymond Feist - I don't know if he's done anything recently, but his older (earlier-written) books are far more interesting than the later series he came out with.

Agreed.....and I'm always in a minority when I say that I enjoyed his Empire trilogy collaboration with Janny Wurts at least as much as the regular Riftwar books....more in some ways. I just thought that the entire Tsurani culture across the Rift -- with its mix of Aztec and Asian influences -- was more interesting than yer basic England-like kingdom like Midkemia.

I can't read the Redwall series anymore. Every book is essentially the exact same as the one before it. Some innocent mole/otter/mouse/other prey animal is either opressed, or their beloved Abbey is in danger by a rat/stoat/fox/wildcat/other predatory animal, and a hero has to rise up and save the opressed populous, or the endangered Abbey. This is interspersed by mischevious Abbeybabes and elaborate food descriptions. And of course, the prey animals always win.

Just once, Mr. Jaques, let's make a predator a good guy, just to shake things up, eh?

Hey, interesting, as I was about to start into this series. Maybe I should reconsider......

Janny Wurts' War of Light and Shadow. She also tends to go a while between new books, and I had some quibbles with her writing that kept me from keeping up with them immediately as they were released. I tried reading the last book I had purchased by her, about two or three books back in the series, which I only ever read about 100 pages of. Gah. Cannot deal with the circular plot and the excessively purple writing anymore. The whole five or six books I have so far are going in the sell-or-donate pile.

Can we short circuit this thread by simply saying, "All of them?" :)

Any combination of too many books, too long between books, etc is sure to cause people to lose interest. I can't think of anyone who maintains a consistently high level of quality for release after release in the long term. Sort of like with bands, heh. Nowadays, I still look forward to new releases by lots of people, but in many cases it's habit, or just the familiarity. There are many authors whose works have gone from great to good - so they're still worthwhile reads, but have lost the thrill. Most of the authors who I actually get excited about are the ones that are relatively new, or who don't publish all that often.

Ken

Can we short circuit this thread by simply saying, "All of them?" :)

Any combination of too many books, too long between books, etc is sure to cause people to lose interest. I can't think of anyone who maintains a consistently high level of quality for release after release in the long term.

Hmm, I'll toss out an exception, IMHO. :)
I would argue that Michael Moorcock's literary output has gotten much better over time, even as the frequency of book releases has decreased (so he has more time to craft his newer novels).

I'll admit to some bias since I'm fairly good friends with MM (and moreover, one of his more recent 'better crafted' books is, ahem, dedicated to me), but I'd definitely argue for 'high quality of releases over the long term' in his case.

Another example (again, IMO):
Looking at Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series, which started as a single trilogy back in 1992 but has grown quite a bit in recent years, quality-wise there's little question that the newer trilogy is better-written than the first, with a much larger scope.
I enjoy both greatly -- my nickname 'Pellaz' is taken from the series -- and oddly enough, in both cases I think the best book in either trilogy is actually.....Book 2. :)

Stephen King. In the 1980s and 1990s, I read almost all of his books and short stories. I was especially hooked on the “Dark Tower” series, which I thought was brilliant.

Then I hated, hated, HATED the direction King took with the last 3 DT books. I haven’t read anything from him since.

I posted about J.K. Rowling in the “Now Reading” thread. She had the basics of the HP storyline plotted out from the beginning, even though she has stated that she made some changes along the way.

With Stephen King, I got the feeling that he never knew exactly where he was going, -- and then finally decided he’d better come up with some sort of ending to get all those crazy fans off his ass. I almost wish he would have left it unfinished!

With Stephen King, I got the feeling that he never knew exactly where he was going, -- and then finally decided he’d better come up with some sort of ending to get all those crazy fans off his ass. I almost wish he would have left it unfinished!

Seriously. When I finished it, I decided that if old Stephen King took the last volume of the Dark Tower series in a time machine and showed it to the young Stephen King who was writing the first few DT books, that young King would have killed himself to prevent it. :rolleyes:

Ken