Brain Surgeons / BOC

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Anyone hear of Brain Surgeons, the band of Albert Bouchard who wrote much of Blue Oyster Cult's early albums? Brain Surgeons range from hard rock to classic metal, with excellent songwriting, and a twist on the bizarre with the lyrics (BOC anyone??). I just discovered them tonight and been sifting through their catalogue:

2006 album Denial of Death is the their most heavy metal and probably right up Wyvern's alley. Song samples available here: CD Baby: BRAIN SURGEONS NYC: Denial of Death

Also check out this cool song: http://www.cellsum.com/LadyoftheHarbor.m3u

Earlier albums, more diverse between 70s rock, hard rock and old school metal: Blue Oyster Cult fans MUST apply...

CD Baby: BRAIN SURGEONS: Eponymous
CD Baby: BRAIN SURGEONS: Trepanation
CD Baby: BRAIN SURGEONS: Piece of Work

I'm gonna have to rooch for this. The Bouchard Brothers era of BOC is definitely my favorite overall. Hell, one of my favorites is Imaginos and it's got a fair bit of recyclyed Bouchard stuff on it.

I'm gonna have to rooch for this. The Bouchard Brothers era of BOC is definitely my favorite overall. Hell, one of my favorites is Imaginos and it's got a fair bit of recyclyed Bouchard stuff on it.
Actually, Wheez, the entire Imaginos album was Bouchard. Here's a quote from him during a 1996 interview:

Albert: I still feel I was decieved. I had already recorded and mixed most of the Imaginos album, as a solo project, when I ran out of money to finish it. I had been trying out some different singers on it because the record company didn't like my vocals. BOC said they wanted to use my tracks with their vocals and it would be like a reunion of the original band. I was led to believe that they wanted me to come back for the recording and tour with them to support the album. After it was all done and about to come out they said that was never the deal and that they were just trying to do me a favor by "helping" me finish my record. I sued them and the record company and we settled out of court.

Also, I ordered two Brain Surgeons cds from Amazon re-sellers, so I should get a real taste of them soon!

Actually, Wheez, the entire Imaginos album was Bouchard. Here's a quote from him during a 1996 interview:

HUH! I'll be damned! That's the first I've seen that. That kinda makes what they said on stage back around that time, wellll, bullshit. They went on about how the Bouchards would never be a part of BOC again, yada, yada, yada. It was fairly derogatory. That pisses me off, in retrospect. Ah well, whatchagonnado?

2006 album Denial of Death is the their most heavy metal and probably right up Wyvern's alley. Song samples available here: CD Baby: BRAIN SURGEONS NYC: Denial of Death

Funny now I read this. I didn't noticed the thread before and yesterday I decided to roam through CDBaby and I noticed the band name.

I'm a fan of classic line-up BOC. I saw them live with only 3/5 of the line-up (but was a free concert anyway :D) and was good, but I miss the Bouchard brothers.

I'll check the samples later and see if it fits me since I'm trying to make a haul at CDBaby ;) (all on recommendations from regulars, ain't that something?)

HUH! I'll be damned! That's the first I've seen that. That kinda makes what they said on stage back around that time, wellll, bullshit. They went on about how the Bouchards would never be a part of BOC again, yada, yada, yada. It was fairly derogatory. That pisses me off, in retrospect. Ah well, whatchagonnado?
I've come to peace with the separation of BOC/Bouchards...mostly because I had to. It's sad really, because BOC started going downhill the moment the Bouchards left.

Funny now I read this. I didn't noticed the thread before and yesterday I decided to roam through CDBaby and I noticed the band name. I'll check the samples later and see if it fits me since I'm trying to make a haul at CDBaby ;) (all on recommendations from regulars, ain't that something?)
Maybe it's just meant to be, Wyv! Be sure to check out samples from their other albums too. Although not metal, all their releases are in the hard rock/BOC vein and appear to have better songwriting than anything Blue Oyster Cult has put out since Club Ninja.

I've now recieved the two Brain Surgeons albums I ordered, and I'm one happy camper!

If I could imagine what BOC might have sounded like thru the 90s and into today, this would be it. Songwriting is suberb. If 70s BOC tickles your fancy, don't miss out on this!