Brand New Eyes vinyl = Best reference mix ever!

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
Whether you like the band or not, BNE on vinyl is easily the benchmark of modern rock production.

The CD sounds very claustrophobic, smushed, and hyped and the vinyl has an amazing sense of space (stereo image is massive and defined and there's a good sense of depth.) It also actually sounds pretty dry compared to the CD. The vocals are all really dry and the room verb on the drums is pretty subdued compared to the cd. And the really really hyped high end is also not so hyped anymore, really smooth.

So yeah, the best rock mix EVARRR just got better. Any of you with a turntable and a spare few quid should invest in a copy as a triple a reference mix, for sure.

i'd never listened to it before, just gave it a quick check on spotify. Very very good mix, with the exception of maybe the snare being a bit too loud for my tastes. I wish i had a decent turntable.

yeah the snare's very interesting on the vinyl. it sounds at once really loud and obnoxious but really seated back into the mix at the same time. very strange.
can hear the snare ring tuned to the key of the track on quite a few songs as well, which I'd never picked out either.

for CLA, i wasn't impressed by this mix at all. interested in hearing what the vinyl sounds like... don't have a record player though..

blind cd vs vinyl rip shootout coming for a bit of brick by boring brick later.. ;)