brand new Niklas Sundin interview

merci pour l' interview
bien fait
mais pourquoi tàs pas demande des questions sur cabinfevermedia ou le cover de Character?
ca saurait ete superbe

nice one but anyway as it was niklas some questions about cabinfever and his coverdesign of Character would be interesting
but noone asks him such a things...

Erik said:
Done Ramming is Damage Done courtesy of Google Translations no doubt, unless you were just joking

Done Ramming :lol:
That will be one for the "You're not elite until..." thread :D

"Our house of discs badly does not card-index a this aspect of the rounds."

I find this to be a positively fascinating quote. Automatic translations are hilarious.

Any French person care to translate it?

Or someone who knows French.

-the lord:Usually, a band release an EP after a certain period of silence. But you just released an awesome compilation a few months ago. Why did you feel the need to release LOST TO APATHY before CHARACTER?

Niklas Sundin (guitar): That wasn’t really necessary of course, but we wanted to give a taste of what the album would sound like. We had done it twice before that, with OF CHAOS AND ETERNAL NIGHT and ENTER SUICIDAL ANGELS and it was appreciated. Our label and our manage thought that it would be a good way to promote the video clip for LOST TO APATHY. And a lot of television channel hesitate to show a clip that is not associated with a singel.

The lord: LOST TO APATHY is an amazing song. Maybe you will agree if I say that it reminds some of the riffs of THE GALLERY mixed with your modern sound?

Niklas Sundin: In a sens, that’s true. A lot of people compared that song to THE MIND’S I but with a better production and more keyboard passage. Right now, we’re pretty satisfied by the reactions; people seem to like it a lot. Of course, it’s impossible for a fan to judge a new album on the strenght of one song, but we only had good comments and thats a good foresight (does that word even exist?) for the new album.

The lord: the vocals are heavier than on DAMAGE DONE. Is that something you planned or did you just ajust it to the new songs?

Niklas Sundin: We didn’t discussed that before the recording, Mikael only entered and screamed his lungs out like he always did. In fact, the music is more violent and faster than on DAMAGE DONE, so he had to ajust with a heavier voice. On HAVEN and PROJECTOR, it was better with a really dark and deep voice.

The lord: We talked to each other last April, and you told me that all the songs were recorded. So I guess that you had a lot of months to make the sound as phenomenal as possible. So, how would you describe the production on CHARACTER?

Niklas Sundin: In fact, the recording and mixing were done at the same time in march/febuary, and since then, nothing has changed on the songs. But the mastering was done a few months later so we had the time to think about the sound we wanted to give to the final product. We wanted a heavier sound with a lot of dynamics. We took care of every little detail and we are really satisfied by the result.

The lord: Musically, what did you experiment on CHARACTER?

Niklas Sundin: It’s to the listener to judge. I think we made something very refreshing with a “character” (laughs) of his own, but its hard to be objective with your own music.

The lord: And lyrically, what does the new album sounds like?

Niklas Sundin: Again, we want things to be freely interpreted (right word?). I never said: this song talks about that theme. I always wanted people to have their own opinion. Our text are really abstract anyway, its hard to class them in the regular rock themes. But compared to DAMAGE DONE, the lyrics are a lot more introspectivers and egocentric.

The lord: DERIVATION TNB is a strange piece, done from different passage of CHARACTER. Can you tell us how it was done?

Niklas Sundin: The EP is perfect to experiment new things, and with DERIVATION TNB we juste took 7 or 8 riffs and melodies from a few CHARACTER songs and re-recorded them in a totally new version. For exemple, there is a passage where on the album has a really compressed rhythm and we re-recorded it with acoustic guitars and piano.

The lord: Judging on your entire discography, how can you define a good DARK TRANQUILLITY song?

Niklas Sundin: I don’t have any idea. When you play a song a hundred time in rehearsing, in studio or during a show, you end up not being able to discern thee good from the bad. I think that DARK TRANQUILLITY songs are boring when the album is released (laughs). But that’s subjective, some people like our fastest composition and others like our more melodic and atmospheric songs.

The lord: What makes you proud of DARK TRANQUILLITY?

Niklas Sundin: I am really happy that we’re still prsent after 15 years and that we are making music that people love, I can’t find anything else to say.

The lord: What is your secret to stay creative after all those years and style-changes?

Niklas Sundin: If we would always stay in the same genre year after year, the band would broke up, so we are oblige to experiment new things to keep the band interesting. The only thing we can do, is to play for ourselves. And all six members participate in the composition, and i think that helps a lot. A lot of bands with only one or two composers ends up being boring after a while.

The lord: About your tour with Kreator... Why have you chosen to do a frist part and why Kreator, who aren’t on Century Media and not really close to your style?

Niklas Sundin: Our label doesn’t really care about the tours. It is quite normal that bands from different labels tour torgether. The hard thing is to know who is available at what moment. We’re all big fans of Kreator and when the opportunity arrived we jumped on it! And it is always a good thing to play with different bands, otherwise it would be impossible to touch new publics.

Maybe theres a few mistake but i think its quite good

At all events, I would say that, compared with "Done Ramming", the words are generally more introspective and egocentric people.

hahaha i hope mine is better than the original translation

Thank you Buzz, for the translation! :worship: