Brett Favre reinstated; Mathias to get a hard-on

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre will be reinstated and added to the Packers' active roster Monday. And at that point, it looks like the fun will start.

Team president Mark Murphy said in a statement Sunday that the team has a specific plan with Favre in camp that it won't reveal until Monday, but sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix that coach Mike McCarthy will announce he's holding an open competition for the starting quarterback position.

Favre's reinstatement, announced by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Sunday, will become effective at 1 p.m. ET Monday. His first practice will likely come Tuesday.

"Brett will be in camp tomorrow. Although there has been uncertainty regarding Brett's return, Ted Thompson and Coach McCarthy had previously discussed this and have had a plan in place," Murphy said in the statement. "Coach McCarthy will talk to the team and the quarterbacks about the plan moving forward, and after he has done that we will share it publicly.

Goodell had held off on granting Favre's request for reinstatement for nearly a week. He hoped Favre and the team could resolve their standoff. By reinstating Favre, Goodell is following through on a recent promise to force action.

Favre's plane was scheduled to touch down in Green Bay at 6:30 p.m. ET Sunday, Nix reports. Favre does not plan to attend the sold-out Packers Family Night at Lambeau Field, which more than 60,000 fans were expected to attend.

Packers officials planned to greet Favre upon his arrival to Green Bay.

Favre's imminent presence in training camp could cause a major disruption to the team and sets up scenarios of either a competition with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job or the Packers continuing to work on finding a trade partner for the former league MVP and Super Bowl champion.

Favre retired in March but has been having second thoughts for weeks. Team officials have insisted they are moving on with Rodgers, though, causing tensions to rise between Favre and the team.

Publicly, team officials have ruled out releasing Favre, likely for fear he would sign with division-rival Minnesota.

Goodell told the NFL Network on Saturday that he thinks the situation has lingered long enough.

"I think we have to force it," Goodell said. "I think it's come to the point where there needs to be some decisions made on behalf of the Packers, on behalf of Brett, on behalf of all the fans."

The Packers have a scrimmage at Lambeau Field on Sunday night, then do not have another scheduled public practice until Tuesday morning.

You never wish an injury on such a good player like Favre, but I think it's the only thing that would force him to retire for good.

That said, let Rogers start and prove himself.

I broke up with a girl for talking trash on favre

lawl, for real?

seriously, he needs to stop. he had a GREAT season this year. next year, im not sure they will do as well. why not go out on a good year?
~gR~

lawl, for real?

yeah, i dont fuck around

seriously, he needs to stop. he had a GREAT season this year. next year, im not sure they will do as well. why not go out on a good year?
~gR~

No he was a dumbass retiring in the first place, for the past 3-4years he hasnt had a team whatsoever. but since they had some good draft pics and all that they managed to put together a team, a great team. the green bay packers are underestimated in 1 great aspect, they have a COMPLETE team, talent in almost every corner of football. the only flaw was that most of the team was too young to take them all the way, favre was a great leader for them, he needs to play with them the next few years while they mature as players and learn to play well in the playoffs. when that happens favre should retire so rodgers can mature as a player while he has teammates he can trust.

did i mention that if it wasnt for the giants being the most bullshit team in the NFL favre would have made the super bowl?

He should stay retired. He's been washed up for a while now, only his team (especially his defense and O-line) was good last year. Take for example the RB they picked off the street who did well. Good protection=success. Favre still makes lots of mistakes, and his careless gunslinging cost them a chance at the Super Bowl. How many playoff games has he won in the past decade anyway? Not that many.

Damn, my cheap shot at Ghaal went unnoticed due to deletion.

Well, so I'm on topic: I'd like to see Favre go to another team. I would be happy to accept him to the Ravens. :):):):):)

2001 - 6 INTs vs the Rams. 3 of them returned for TDs
2002 - Packers were banged up in this game so he gets a pass
2003 - Packers rushed for over 200 yards and still lost. Who could forget that horrible INT he threw where he just lobbed the pass up like a punt which was easily picked off.
2004 - 4 INTs in a home loss to the Vikings
2007 - A poorly throw pass gets picked off in OT and has the Giants already in FG range.

This is why I don't want him. I'm tired of him getting them to the big and choking when he really needs to perform. Plus I'll never forgive him for that Philly pass

Good, maybe he can go out with a Super Bowl win, you know he can win games for you. Of course as a Dallas Cowboys fan, I hope he performs well but not too well. I feel bad for Aaron Rodgers in this situation.

As a Packers fan I really am getting pissed off at Favre's melodramatic primadonna bullshit. It is doing nothing but hurting the team, he needs to make his damned mind up, stay retired, and yet the team move on. While he had an amazing season last year, will he be able to live up to it? Will he be able to carry the team to the play offs even?

The answers for those are pretty uncertain but, there is one thing that is for sure - I don't give a shit. Give Rodgers the shot to prove himself.

this has been blown so far out of proportion. I mean he did say he was retired, but we all knew he was going to have second thoughts on it, and of course the green bay packers knew he would have 2nd thoughts, remember this drama was going on long before favre officially stated he was going to come back. lets face it he's not the smartest man in the world, he is just an old ass redneck(but damn he can throw a football). green bay should have had a plan for this but honestly i've heard too much "the team has moved on" bullshit when he was only gone for 3 months and very little changes were even made.

as for the 'let rogers take over the team' idea, it morally works since rogers was promised to be the starter but whos the better quarterback? we watched him play one game against dallas. he played a great game and all and suprised me with his skill but i remember him looking like he still didnt know what he was doing. when you have a team thats super bowl ready theres no reason to use a quarter back who isnt instead of using a HALL OF FAME qb who is still one of the top 5 quarter backs in the league. just let the fucker play football

thats my rant