Bruce comments on Clive & Nicko drumming.

DREAMASTER

Iron In The Soul
Apr 1, 2002
PORTUGAL
www.metal-rules.com
For the ppl that don't know this yet.

"I still think he's the best drummer the band ever had." says Bruce. "That's not taking anything away from Nicko. Technically, Nicko's probably a far more competent drummer than Clive. It's just that Clive had incredible feel, and you can't learn that, and i regret that he wasn't given more time to try and sort himself out" says Bruce Dickinson.

Comments on this.

Hey, he's got a point on both ends I think. I'd actually love to hear Linda's opinion on this one!

well, he didn't prove himself in thos albumd he made... i would like to know how he would fit on Powerslave :eek:

Ouch. I can see this thread heading for a nice debate to come...

Well, in defense of Clive I need to speak with the punkrock half of my brain - the part that says "fuck techniciality and competence behind an instrument. It's all about the FEEL and the VIBE that you can project out of it." Clive was a caveman on drums for Madien. Heavy-handed, aggressive, and fully aware of his own creativity and what would help define undoubtedly one of the greatest metal albums of all time ("Number of the Beast").

Nicko, however (in comes the more metal half of my brain that says, "It's all about knowledge and skill, and using those traits to blow the average musician away"), is a brilliant drummer and mandatory for the more technical styling and intricate direction Maiden took with that incredible masterpiece we know as "Powerslave." Nicko isn't half as hard of a hitter as Clive, but he could easily blow Clive away in a competition.

The only real sincere thing I can say about the differences between these two is this...

"Piece of Mind" is my favorite Maiden record (and I stress a big difference between BEST and FAVORITE - such as two drummers, in particular). And even though I already love it for what it is, I feel it's missing something. Maiden still hadn't totally taken their already admirable technicality to the intense direction that "Powerslave" was to bring. Thinking in that sense, I bet "Piece of Mind" would've been a much better album if Clive had drummed on it. So yes, I still have to agree with Dickinson's statement.

Although this is a highly unoriginal (oh, and slightly, well... OLD) subject, I suppose I could use the entertainment!:D

What can I say? Most of my drumming influence came from guys like Dave Grohl and Chuck Biscuits. I would think someone listening to Nirvana's "Nevermind" album (Mariner - as stated above) would appreciate drummers like that more :confused:

oh, BTW Nicko drummed already in 1980 (not very sure about that) with Maiden in Belgium, because Clive was sick or something... He was wearing a Eddiemask then :lol:

I always thought Nicko was lazy and never really showed is potential for many reason (production???) (with the exception of Where eagles dare). It's like the producers of the albums didn't really cared about the drumming, sometimes it's barely noticeable. I remember I wanted Nicko to retire after listening to Virtual X1 because his drumming had no surprise and almost unnoticeable. I thought , Come on, your too old for this man...
But it changed... He did a great job on Brave new world and I like his drumming a lot on Rock in Rio.
BNW is a very well produced album. It was about time they figure out the importance of drums, after 11 studio album that made the drum sound like shit...

Clive was, and his still, an underrated drummer...

When I started playing drums (I guess around 10 years ago now. Haven't played for 4 years or something) Clive and Nicko were some of the drummers I noticed first, but when I look at them now they're only average. I haven't really heard anything that I couldn't play or anything that I wouldn't have thought of myself. "Gangland" might be an exception, but I don't think it would take very much effort of me to learn it (I've just practiced it on my knees).

WOW....a lot of big britch talkers here about the Maiden drummers....

Geeez my mind is boggled by negative comments like this on a Maiden freakin' message forum.

Also let's not forget that PRODUCERS make albums not drummers....if you can't hear the drums on a particular album, blame the producer...espeicially if they aren't Martin Birch.

It's easy to talk shit on a forum...if anyone here is a better drummer than these guys and so blatant about it...please post links to your MP3s. We want to hear this ! ! !

Originally posted by Soul of a new Machine
But it changed... He did a great job on Brave new world and I like his drumming a lot on Rock in Rio.
BNW is a very well produced album. It was about time they figure out the importance of drums, after 11 studio album that made the drum sound like shit...
Clive was, and his still, an underrated drummer...

Maybe I got a bit misunderstood. Not meant to bitch or rant or offend anyone... In the past this is what I thought, but thanks to great album like Rock in Rio and Brave new world I finally had the chance to appreciate Nicko's drumming.

You told it yourself, if you can't hear the drums on a particular album, blame the producer...espeicially if they aren't Martin Birch. I never seen the band live, every time they came in my area it was impossible for me to see them... I didn't bought Live after Death until about 2 years ago, after regaining lots of faith in Maiden that they would still be going on strong for a couple years
I like Nicko more now than any other drummer of his era. :D
And about my comment on Clive, I didn't say OVERrated, I said UNDERrated. I like him a lot, thanks again to the excellent Beast over Hammersmith cd on Eddie's archive :headbang:

Originally posted by DREAMASTER
Yeah ! The best Iron Maiden live album followed by Live After Death.

I agree! Or almost (which is close enough)... There's songs on both albums that I like more than on the other, if that makes any sense. I like Hollowed more on the Hammersmith cd because Bruce sings better, but I like Powerslave on Live After Death because it's a bitchen song and it's not on the Hammersmith. Maybe I'll make an extended version and combine the two! (No song repeated of course, just pick the best out of both!)

Hey! Good to be back! K, this is a thread I couldn't resist. I don't think I could really do a comparison of who's the better drummer between Clive and Nicko. The only reason for wanting to compare is that they both played with the gods called Iron Maiden, but they each brought a comletely different vibe to the table. I admire Clive's punkish aggression and feel and awesome right hand and don't think it sounds quite the same when Nicko plays the earlier stuff live, but I also can't imagine what it would sound like with Clive playing the later Maiden stuff. That would be something I would LOVE to hear. I admit it took me a while to warm up to Piece of Mind because I was a stubborn young girl and wanted to hear my Clive Burr drums! I kept thinking, Clive wouldn't have done it this way! But, my ears did let me open up to the wonderful world of Nicko McBrain after all. He is definitely the more technical of the two, and Clive the more raw of the two. I don't think it's a matter of judging someone's ability by if you are able to play his stuff or not either, I think it's all about coming up with the parts that fit with the song that makes you a great drummer. And I think both did/do so perfectly. I have some other stuff Clive played on after IM, and you wouldn't even know it was the same drummer. Iron Maiden brought out a beast in him. Clive had a big impact on me in my early days and I started playing because of him so I am extremely grateful to him and I have learned a lot from trying to mimmick the licks of Nicko. I'd like to hear him solo. Anyone have this available for download? I respect them both immensely. :)

Nicko McBrain plays on Pat Travers' 1977 release, Putting It Straight. It think it's only been released on vinyl and I have a cassette recording of the album. If anyone is interested (Linda?) I can transfer it to CD for ya! Nicko RULES!

I met Nicko at a NAMM show a few years ago. I ended up drinking LOTS of beer with Nicko, the crazy Mr. Dee from Motorhead, Bobby Blotzer, and a couple of other drummers in the lobby of the Sheraton that night. And NONE of us even talked about anything to do with drums!

PS. Linda, when will the DW set be ready?!!!!!