Bruce Dickinson - The Best of Bruce Dickinson

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
BRUCE DICKINSON - THE BEST OF BRUCE DICKINSON
Metal Is - 2001

By Rodrigo

The original plan of this release was quite different to the finished product. Originally it was called Catacombs and was to be a double CD filled with rare B-Sides of Bruce Dickinson’s career. But for reasons probably due with renewed interest in Bruce’s solo career and the fact that a greatest hits album will probably sell more than a rarities album, The Best Of is what ultimately was released. Spanning Bruce’s career from Tattooed Millionaire to Scream For Me Brazil, this release contains 13 songs including two new songs that once again paired Bruce with Roy Z.

"Broken" and "Silver Wings" are the two new songs and they sound like they would have fit perfectly in Accident of Birth. "Broken" has excellent guitar work by Roy Z. The first verse is especially cool because of the way the guitar melodies sound. The chorus features bone crushing riffs and great soaring singing by Bruce. After the second chorus there is a great guitar instrumental part. Its not really a solo but rather a double melody part that is typical of what Roy Z has done with Bruce. "Silver Wings" can best be described as an ode to the classic Iron Maiden song "Aces High". It has that 80’s sound but it sounds very fresh and new. Both Roy and Bruce once again shine with their respective talents especially Roy with the awesome fast guitar solo. As these two new songs show I can’t wait to hear the next Bruce Dickinson solo album.

Each album is represented with the rest of the 11 songs and I can’t really argue with the selection because if you asked me what songs I would have chosen from Bruce’s album to include in a greatest hits album I would have probably come up with the same choices. From Tattooed Millionaire there is "Born in 58" and the title track. The classic "Tears of the Dragon" and the live version of "Laughing in the Hiding Bush" come from Balls to Picasso. The Skunkworks era is also represented with "Back from the Edge". I really would have like for the inclusion of another song from that underrated album like "Solar Confinement". Accident of Birth is represented by the excellent "Darkside of Aquarius", "Road to Hell" and the title track. Finally "The Tower", "Chemical Wedding" and the live version of "Book of Thel" come from The Chemical Wedding.

But those of you who hoped to get a rarities album will be in luck if you get one of the limited edition double CD versions of this release. The second CD comes with 13 more songs as well as one track where Bruce explains the selection of the songs in this CD as well as some background information on each song. Some of these songs include the original version of "Bring Your Daughter... ...To the Slaughter". This version is more raw and not as bass heavy as the Iron Maiden version. It also has "Wicker Man" which bears no relation to "The Wicker Man" by Iron Maiden and just in case you don’t believe it the track listing states that this Bruce version was recorded in 1997. I have to admit that I like Iron Maiden’s "The Wicker Man" better. "No Way Out... ...Continued" is a song from the Keith Olsen "lost" album where "Tears of the Dragon" had its origins. It is actually a very cool song with synthesizers being used. I really hope more songs from this album come out. There is also a different version of "Man of Sorrows" from the one found in Accident of Birth. "Midnight Jam" is a continuation of the story of "Taking the Queen" from that same album. It sounds nothing like the music from that album instead it sounds like a song penned by The Doors. My only complaint from this track listing was that I would have wished for the inclusion of two of the best Bruce rare songs: "Return of the King" and the orchestral version of "Tears of the Dragon".

If you are a fan of Bruce’s solo career then this album is really a must buy because of the two new songs and the limited edition CD. For people mildly interested in his albums this would be a good introduction to his solo career.

Metal-Is Website
Bruce Dickinson Official Website