Bruce visits Boeing

Red Shirt

Aug 1, 2002
Huntington Beach, Ca, USA
Visit site
I was surprised to see this on my works electronic newsletter (why couldn't it be me that got to meet him!?!?!?)...

A Maiden voyage
Iron Maiden's frontman and pilot Bruce Dickinson visits Everett to check out Boeing for a documentary

[size=-1]Everett Herald 10/14/04[/size]
author: Eric Fetters

EVERETT - While Bruce Dickinson waited for his camera crew to set up inside the Boeing Co.'s Everett plant, two slightly sheepish mechanics asked for an autograph.

It's not every day a heavy-metal music legend comes to visit.

Dickinson's name might not jump out to pop music fans, but the mechanics knew him as the voice of heavy metal band Iron Maiden.

Dickinson, 46, was lead singer on seven consecutive Iron Maiden albums that went platinum or gold during the 1980s and early 1990s.

He's also a commercial airline pilot with an intense interest in aviation, which explains why one of the gods of metal was inside Boeing's cavernous 747 assembly building on Wednesday. Dickinson is the host of a documentary series tentatively titled "Flying Heavy Metal" that's scheduled to air next year on the European version of the Discovery Channel.

"We looked at doing a reality TV show about training airline pilots, and it morphed into this - a five-part series about the development of the airliner since 1945," Dickinson said.

He and a four-person production crew were at the Everett plant Monday through Wednesday as part of 11 days of filming around the United States.

While here, Dickinson interviewed Walt Gillette, a 7E7 program vice president, and Joe Sutter, the lead designer of the 747. The film crew also shot scenes inside Boeing's Renton assembly plant and toured a mock-up of the new 7E7.

Dickinson said he relished the opportunity to see Boeing's commercial jets being put together.

"It's fantastic. I could quite happily spend ages poking around and watching," he said. "As a pilot, we never see these planes stripped down like this."

The native of northern England began flying about 13 years ago and obtained his commercial flying license about three years ago. He flies 757s for Astraeus, a British charter airline that has routes to Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Todd Blecher, a spokesman for Boeing Commercial Airplanes, said company officials didn't know what to think when Dickinson first approached them about filming inside the plant. After all, this is the lead singer of a band whose mascot was a giant fake corpse named "Eddie" and whose breakthrough album was titled "The Number of the Beast."

"Once we talked to Bruce, that became a nonissue. He's so knowledgeable about aviation, and he flies 757s for a living," Blecher said. "These guys have been first-rate right from the start."

Blecher added that the documentary may help boost Boeing in Europe, where rival Airbus is based.

Dickinson said his crew also has filmed inside an Airbus factory in France, visited with NASA officials and experienced a number of flight simulators.

Dickinson - dubbed "Air Raid Siren" for his singing style - rejoined the band four years ago. Since then, Iron Maiden has released two studio albums and a live album. It plans to tour Europe, where the band's following includes a generation of new fans.

But he's not about to give up flying, he said.

"Neither one is an activity I see a reason to give up until they take my (medical certification) away or I lose my voice," he said.

Roger Salvisberg, of Lake Stevens, was one of the mechanics who got an autograph. He also had his picture taken with the singer.

He said he's been an Iron Maiden fan since the early '80s. "I've always thought he had one of the best voices," he said.

Reporter Eric Fetters

THANKS FOR THE POST! I LOVE BRUCE!! HE DOES HAVE THE BEST VOICE AROUND!! IT'S GREAT THAT HE IS DOING THE THINGS THAT HE LOVES TO DO. I HOPE THAT HE STAYS AROUND FOR A LONG TIME!! KEEP ROCKIN' BRUCE :worship:

BRING ME ALL THE ELEMENTS, SPREAD THEM 'ROUND MY HEAD. BRING ME MAD MEN'S BODIES, I WILL BREAK THEM ALL LIKE BREAD.
-BRUCE DICKINSON (CHEMICAL WEDDING'S THE ALCHEMIST )

It's a lil scary to know he flys planes. Imagine the guy breakin out of the cockpit doing his theatrics and breaking out into something like...."I've got a Fear (of flyin) in the Dark"
Jokes aside, it's a cool post. I've been to the everett Boeing plant and it's awesome.