Budget SDC Overhead Shootout (ATM450 vs NT5 vs C4)

Which mic do you prefer?

• ATM450s

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • C4s

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • NT5s

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Just did this quick crappy little shootout for everyone to compare these 3 pairs for SDCs. These are some of the more popular budget SDCs along with the MK012s so hopefully people get some use out of it.

Tracks were all normalized but they aren't level matched by ear or anything, so take volume into consideration when judging the tonality of each clip.

Audio Technica ATM450s
Studio Projects C4s
Rode NT5s

How did you have them set up, right next to each other? Certainly sounds like the same performance between each, which is cool - still, I honestly can't decide whether the few "differences" I'm hearing are even actually there (rather than in my head :Spin: or due to the volume differences), so I have to opt out of voting or stating preference (though I'm drawn to the NT5's, but naturally, they're the loudest :loco: )

EDIT: Oops, short attention spans FTW, listened again and this time realized that there's more to it than just cymbal hits :D Still, my only different reactions are that the hi-hat sounds really unpleasant and hi-middy in the ATM450's, and everything just so bothersomely low in the C4 track I can't decide one way or the other. Of course, importing into Reaper is an option...

EDIT 2: THE RETURN OF EDIT: So I imported them into Reaper, and discovered that the stereo balance is offset in the C4 track with a right-side bias - you're slacking Wathan :D Exploded the stereo track into two monos and dropped the right side by 1.1 dB, then raised the overall volume, which did the trick well enough for comparative purposes, and I find I like the C4's the best actually, I'd basically say the three progress evenly on a scale of "cheap-sounding harshness", from least in the C4's to most in the ATM's (with the NT5's in the middle, naturally, they weren't nearly as bad as the AT's IMO, but still not as good as the C4's)

Between the 450's and the NT5's for me, with the latter having more cymbal and less kit in the sound. I think the AT's would be better for more rock-oriented or natural drum sounds, while the NT5's seem to be better for more metal stuff.

Btw, you guys might be interested in hearing these

ATM450.mp3
C4.mp3
NT5.mp3

The drum beat portion of Adam's clips, with the levels evened out more (including the L/R balance in the C4 track :D) And I updated my initial reply with my thoughts on the clips after said level evening

That's gayer than aids, you are right about the levelling on the C4s. I just set the mic preamps on my Profire all to zero, didn't even bother trying to match them by ear. Either something isn't matched between the preamps or one mic is hotter than the other :/

Think I like the C4s the most too, they sound smoother to me.

Pics:
shootout1.jpg

shootout2.jpg

shootout3.jpg

shootout4.jpg

shootout5.jpg

The C4's sound smoother, but more tinny and small to my ears. I don't think they'd take to processing as well as the other mics, but I can't be sure without actually using them. Decently similar, though, for three completely different mics! Wonder how well they all mesh with other tracks.

I like the ATM and Rode very much, the C4's sound a bit darker, I like clear overheads more.
Voted for the NT5's.

I think:

The C4's are smoother, but as a result less detailed.
The NT5's are nice and clear. Great cymbal detail.
The ATM450's are very upfront sounding compared to the other two. Which I like.

My favourite are the 450's, followed by the NT5's and the C4's coming last.

I'll agree that the 450's bring out that nasty upper mid in the hi hat, but then I think a different hat would solve that pretty easily. I love how much they bring the drums to the front, really in your face. I am definitely going to be picking up a pair I reckon as I like to get alot of my drum sound from the overheads.

Also, the ATM450's seem to get much more direct sound and less of the room compared to the other two. Good for if your drum room is less than perfect.

The C4 to me sounds too smooth for Metal. I would probably go with the nt5.

Good point, I don't really have enough experience mic'ing drumsets to judge what will work best in a mix in this case, so fuck it, changing my vote to the NT5's, middle-ground options for the win :cool:

And the polar patterns, from the manuf. websites (notice how much lower the high-shelf boost stars in the ATM's, hence the nasty upper-mids I'd say)

atm450_freq.jpg

NT5
nt5_freq.jpg

C4
C4%20Polar.JPG

Also, the ATM450's seem to get much more direct sound and less of the room compared to the other two. Good for if your drum room is less than perfect.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm hearing that, I think it might just be an effect of the slight upper mid boost on the mics making the kick/snare seem more upfront; there could be more room sound rejection though, owing to their different design! (side-address SDC)