Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire

Gunstar9

Skeletor Goes to Mars
Jan 30, 2005
So kids kept coming in and picking up the new Bullet for My Valentine CD at the FYE store I work at. The title is "Scream Aim Fire". I decided to see what all the hype was about.

This band has pulled a complete Trivium. There is very little emo and metalcore left to this band and they've pretty much gone to as much of a thrash sound as a new band could today.

Some people will hate it and some people will love it. I'd rather here this than more emo garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started another thread about this not too long ago. I am LOVING this CD. Super strong! The guitar work is just brilliant and I actually really like the melodic tracks, especially #3 "Hearts Burst into Fire"

So kids kept coming in and picking up the new Bullet for My Valentine CD at the FYE store I work at. The title is "Scream Aim Fire". I decided to see what all the hype was about.

This band has pulled a complete Trivium. There is very little emo and metalcore left to this band and they've pretty much gone to as much of a thrash sound as a new band could today.

Some people will hate it and some people will love it. I'd rather here this than more emo garbage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SaeQM5vAD4
GREAT CD! 9.75/10 I love it! There's a couple 80's style tunes on there, too.. Thrash aplenty, as well!:worship:rock::kickass:

I got this when it first came out based on the Title track. I like the CD although it won't hold my attention like others have. I would say 7.5/10.

Speaking of changing their sound........even on this album they change up the sound from song to song almost to the point of not really having a sound of their own. I thought to myself when I first spun this that" they can't decide what sound they want to go with".

Not surprising their changing their sound. Mallcore is dead. So they're all trying to pawn themselves off as actually being Metal.

Zod

What exactly makes them not metal? Metal riffs, mix of clean and non-clean vocals, technical guitar solos, loud-booming drums all seem pretty metal to me.

I'm not trying to pick, but am genuinely curious. To me, bands like BFMV and Trivium are just as "metal" as any other band in the genre. To not like them is fine, but to discount them from the genre - despite their sound - because of that opinion seems elitist or something.

What exactly makes them not metal? Metal riffs, mix of clean and non-clean vocals, technical guitar solos, loud-booming drums all seem pretty metal to me.

I'm not trying to pick, but am genuinely curious. To me, bands like BFMV and Trivium are just as "metal" as any other band in the genre. To not like them is fine, but to discount them from the genre - despite their sound - because of that opinion seems elitist or something.

I dont mean to speak for zod, or sound elitist, but the thing that bothers me about all these metalcore/emowhaever bands changing their sound is that it seems fake to me.

I wasn't trying to say they aren't Metal. To clarify, I use the terms "Mallcore", "Bouncecore" and "Mall Metal", interchangeably, to refer to most of these bands. To me, it's a sub-genre of Metal, that combines Metal with elements of Hardcore. It also often forgoes guitar solos. Just like I wouldn't put Helloween and Riverside in the same sub-genre, I wouldn't put Opeth and BFMV in the same sub-genre.

And I'm not even saying it's all bad. If you check my post of favorite discs in 2006, I had Trivium's Ascendancy at #9.

Zod

I dont mean to speak for zod, or sound elitist, but the thing that bothers me about all these metalcore/emowhaever bands changing their sound is that it seems fake to me.
Agreed. It's like they jumped on to a wave, and as soon as that wave came to shore, they jumped on the next one. It seems to suggest their hearts were never in their music to begin with.

Zod

I have to be honest and say that it is completely elitist and it's what i personally do. I completely discount bands like Trivium, BFMV, etc. because i don't think what they do is metal. I believe metal is as much about the spirit of what you're doing as it is about how distorted your guitars are. Also, there are few bands that use the metalcore scream that i still consider to be metal.

I'll be the first to admit that i discount stuff like this and metalcore and say it's not metal because i don't like it. I get tired of these conversations:

Some rando: "What kind of music do you like?"
Me: "Metal"
Some rando: "Oh, you mean like _____________?" (bands can include As I Lay Dying, Korn, Slipknot, Trivium, etc.)

To me it just isn't the same. I mean, i'm not an asshole who has to like the most obscure bands or name-drop shit most people have never heard about. I have no problem saying "Well, I like stuff like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Sabbath" and if they express interest, i'll start talking about Gamma Ray, Manowar, and other shit that your average person hasn't heard much about.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. I just think they're a bad band and they're one that i get all elitist about.

one addendum to my post... just because i don't personally consider this band metal, nor will i ever say they are, i'm not one of those guys who goes "OMFG u leik BFMV ur such a fag!" Tastes are each person's own. I could care less :lol:

Well, the way I view it is, that it's cool to see these young guys want to be metal. I'm just glad the young kids don't avoid the traditional sound like the plague these days.

~Brian~
Amen! We agree yet again, Edge! :kickass::headbang: I saw BFMV on the RZ/LC tour and they kicked butt! This CD is much more diverse than anything they released previously. I am hoping for more tunes like this from this band in the future.

This album is a little disappointing to me as a Metal album, but not bad at all as a pop/rock album. Their previous album, The Poison, sounds much more Metal to me. Riffs and melodies are still very catchy but where are the razor sharp sound/guitar/voice gone? Matt sings very relaxed in some tracks, plus their sound reminds me of Funeral For A Friend now. This album has a lot of Metal elements too, but overall it lies somewhere between Metal and pop/rock, IMO. I'm OK with this because I LOVE emo/punk/rock bands like FFAF and even MCR, which most metalheads probably don't like. Anyway, I'm attending the Taste of Chaos show featuring BFMV, Atreyu, and A7X at the Gwinnett Center Arena.

I'm still not impressed with these mallcore bands disguised as metal bands. I do admit a handful do sound decent, but for me it wears off very quickly. I see a lot of improvement, but it still reeks of mallcore to my ears. I am diggin a few of the modern rock bands these days though. I love the new Alter Bridge, along with Airbourne, a great AC/DC style hard rock band. I do admit, that commercial music is starting to get a little better again.

Not bad, but like Zach said... they're not really a metal band. At least the emo scene is getting more ballsy and less weepy. I'll take this kind of stuff any day over another Nickelback album or that sort of "mainstream modern rock". As far as I'm concerned, mainstream rock as a majority movement died in 2000 with the boy band craze, and ever since it's only been a few decent bands in a sea of wannabe Daughtry's.