Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire

What's wrong with Nickelback?

In my opinion, everything. They're the perfect example of "corporate-made-by music). I've listened to all of their releases, and there's nothing that they could be offering other than the regular "radio-friendly-hits" that any other band playing the same style of music could be doing.

I think their compositions are boring and annoying. It just seems to me that their record label says "You need to write this and that, otherwise we won't release your album.", and they go ahead and do it. Maybe one could argue and say they're a great Pop Rock band, which is fine by me. I am just stating my opinion and what I think about it. I may be entirely wrong, but that's how I perceive it.

And by the way, their singer annoys the living shit out of me. I think he's a crappy singer with an annoying tone.

Then again, what do I know... :lol:

Pop rock? They sound like a rock and roll band to me...don't see anything pop-y about them.

And that's fine! Like I said, I was just stating my opinion and what they sound like to me. I have absolutely no problems with someone saying "I like Nickelback." I just happen to dislike them very much.

And I see many "poppy" things about them.

In my opinion, everything. They're the perfect example of "corporate-made-by music). I've listened to all of their releases, and there's nothing that they could be offering other than the regular "radio-friendly-hits" that any other band playing the same style of music could be doing.

I think their compositions are boring and annoying. It just seems to me that their record label says "You need to write this and that, otherwise we won't release your album.", and they go ahead and do it. Maybe one could argue and say they're a great Pop Rock band, which is fine by me. I am just stating my opinion and what I think about it. I may be entirely wrong, but that's how I perceive it.

And by the way, their singer annoys the living shit out of me. I think he's a crappy singer with an annoying tone.

Then again, what do I know... :lol:

If you feel this way about the band, then why do you listen to them? I don't own one Nickelback disc, but I don't have a problem with the band. I don't mind listening to them if they come on the radio, but I'm not expecting them to be Porcupine Tree or Angra. Just keep that in mind when you listen to them again and maybe you'll take them for what they are.

~Brian~

And that's fine! Like I said, I was just stating my opinion and what they sound like to me. I have absolutely no problems with someone saying "I like Nickelback." I just happen to dislike them very much.

And I see many "poppy" things about them.

Like?

Oh good christ... why did you bring up Nickleback? Terrible band. One time i bought a cd on sale and i just am having a hard time forgiving myself...

And they're terribly poppy. I can't see how you'd say otherwise rms. written for radio man.

Just keep that in mind when you listen to them again and maybe you'll take them for what they are.

~Brian~

terrible rehash of all their previous recycled riffs? Their first album was fairly good. I still own it. But ever since their blowout success, they're just playing the same songs over and over with (sometimes) new words. And I'm not singling them out. A lot of newcomers to the rock scene sound just like them, and do the same thing. Band after boring, forgettable band. Guys like Puddle of Mudd and Staind, etc. etc.

Then you have somebody like Vertical Horizon, who started out as an acoustic duo (a fucking excellent one too, their live record is off the charts for energy) that developed into something, and kept running with it.

You can only keep making the same disc over if you're AC/DC, and it still doesn't quite work. But yeah, the point being I'd rather listen to BFMV than that same-old-same-old crap. Again, not that BFMV is metal, even if they think they are :lol:

I love BFMV, and I love Trivium (Ember/Ascendancy... I don't really care for what they did on Crusade). I think their songwriting and 'style' are plenty metal, and I'd rather hear bands like BFMV, Trivium, and A7X than bands like Drowning Pool and Cold, which IMO are complete garbage. Not to mention, emo bands.

But I'm EXTREMELY disappointed by the drummer on this album. Love the songs.... SERIOUSLY MISSING THE DOUBLE BASS!!! Where's all the double bass walks and shit?? Its the ONLY thing that makes me not like this album 100%

It's not that Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, As I Lay Dying, etc aren't metal. Whether they're metal or not I couldn't care less anyways... I'm not one of those to complain about how a band isn't tr00 or is infringing on MAH METULZ, but I certainly can see why people are disgusted at the aforementioned bands that are nothing more than fake sounding, overproduced and plastic compared to bands like Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch.

Whether Bullet For My Valentine is true metal or not is irrelevant to me. What's relavant to me is that Scream Aim Fire is a great album. So far one of my favorites of 2008.

If you feel this way about the band, then why do you listen to them? I don't own one Nickelback disc, but I don't have a problem with the band. I don't mind listening to them if they come on the radio, but I'm not expecting them to be Porcupine Tree or Angra. Just keep that in mind when you listen to them again and maybe you'll take them for what they are.

~Brian~

I simply listened to them because I wanted to give them chances, like I do to most bands. I'm not expecting them to be PT or Angra either. Keep that in mind, you don't know me and you don't know what I expect or not from a band. In fact, most of the stuff I listen to has nothing to do with Angra or Porcupine Tree. Those who know me here (and some of my quite interesting musical tastes) know very well that if there's someone who takes bands for what they are, that person is me.

Again, I don't like them, but I actually took the time to "try it out." Lots of people in here crucify bands like Nickelback without knowing them, just for the simple fact that they're on the radio. You should "go after" those people.