Burton Cummings

Walter_Langkowski

Neuroses Facilitator
Anyone familiar with the Canadian Rock band from the late 60's/early 70's The Guess Who? They had some great songs like "No Time", "Undun", "These Eyes", and of course, "American Woman". I think Cummings had an incredibly versatile and Melodic voice, ranging from a smooth blues delivery to an almost snarling, gritty Dio-esque flow on some songs. You would be hard pressed to know it was the same singer on certain songs.

Anyways, I think his voice was great and I'd put him towards the top of my list of classic Melodic Rock singers of our times.

Thoughts?

He's from my home town. Just a real down to earth regular guy. Both he and Randy Bachman. For a short time, they we're bigger than the Beatles.

Its really a shame that the Guess Who did not get more notoriety. Whereas they were not together for a very long, the group put out some great hits like American Woman, Share The Land, No Time, Undun, and No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature. Some excellent singing by Burton Cummings. One minute he's belting out a rocker, another he's singing a soulful ballad. The instrumental support and arrangements are grade a as well.

If you are a fan of music from the sixities or seventies you owe it to yourself to pick up the greatest hits collection.

Every time I see Randy Bachman on TV with his guitar I have to stop and watch. He's not much of a singer, but a great guitar player.
It's strange how here in Canada, "The Guess Who" are such rock legends and in the States 9 out of 10 people have never heard of them.

I bought one of his Records at a flea market for a joke because the album artwork was pretty strange(Dream of a Child). I haven't listened to his music to comment though.