Burzum - Aske

Doomguy

This is huh, wow...
Apr 7, 2009
Melbourne, Aus
Burzum_aske.jpg

I recently picked up this EP from the Black Metal act Burzum, created by Varg Vikernes of Mayhem. On to the album itself.

Track 1: Stemmen Fra Tårnet (Voice From The Tower): This is my favourite track on the EP, and my favourite song by Burzum. It has a consistent guitar riff and the vocals have an echo effect, making it very ambient. 10/10

Track 2: Dominus Sathanas (Master Satan): This track was very different from the first track; it was a tiny bit quicker and lively. Still a nice track though.8/10

Track 3: A Lost Forgotten Bad Spirit: This track is almost 11 minutes long, but I loved every second of it. It was so raw and dark that it really expressed a lot in the way of emotion.9/10

I also found out that the first 1,000 copies of this EP came with a lighter. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones. A bit of background on the artwork.

The artwork is a photo of the charred remains of the Fantoft stave church in Norway, after an arson. Varg Vikernes was strongly accused of the arson, and it is even believed that he took the photo himself. But in 1993, the same year this album was released, Vikernes was charged with killing the lead guitarist of Mayhem; Oystein "Euronymous" Aarseth (RIP). He was also convicted of several other church arsons, but not the Fantoft one.

Thanks for reading, y'all.