Buy Or Die

Metman

Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan
Jan 19, 2006
Long Island
I really need to know what your definition of a ""Buy or Die"" cd means????? I bought a lot of ""BOD"" cds from Lasers Edge over the years & a fair amount dont live up to that status.. Can you explain ????

I recently got a "Buy Or Die" not even Prog -
"101 Hits Of Motown"!
Everyone should own this!
"Papa Was A Rolling Stone"

This is why im Hesitate to use the Forum...
Thats up to you.

Everyone hears things differently. What I consider to be an essential album may not be what you like. I like to think my batting average is exceptionally high but obviously you don't think so.

There are albums you spooge over that I think are garbage. Vice versa. Doesn't mean that either of us is wrong.

We like what we like.

Feel free to post your thoughts - just keep it civil.

Metman

If I offended with you with my LMAO comment, I apologize. I didn't mean it.

Collage was one of Ken's latest Buy or Die recommendations. I always check those recommendations first through Spotify before pulling the trigger on the physical media. A few years ago, I was in a similar situation were I was just buying stuff left and right, recommendations from anyone and everywhere. There was a point were I hadn't even listened to half the stuff I bought even thought it was *great* according to reviewers and other forums.

Once I find what I like, I buy the physical product to support the band/LaserCD/local shops in my area and most of the times, I avoid Amazon. In other words, I have become more picky on what I buy and like, thus my use of Spotify (whether you like the Spotify/streaming business model, that's a different story).

I agree that Steve Rothery's solo is excellent!
That alone makrs it a "Buy Or Die"

Great post Ken, by the way.

Ken's batting average is pretty high as far as I'm concerned. I've enjoyed a lot more of his BOD recommendations than not. At the end of the day, though, YouTube is always an easy and free way to check out stuff before you put anything in the shopping cart.

Reactions: lasercd
What Leyth and others said; pre-screen. It's been said before––there's no reason why you can't mostly , almost always, avoid buying something these days you have no use for. Plenty of resources available.

Bob, I've often searched for the unknown-to-me music you've posted, for that I thank you. I've liked nearly none of it, you at least liked and loved (your Buy or Die) some of it, but if not for you I wouldn't know it existed. Doesn't make either of us anything but what we are––music lovers. Spend more time enjoying it instead of wildly, haphazardly looking for the needle in the haystack. Though, if that's what makes you happy, carry on.

I wish you the best.

I feel most of Ken's buy or die have been good for me as long as it's not neoprog..

I also wait to hear the disc before hand on most stuff. Very few bands are an auto buy for me these days..

I feel most of Ken's buy or die have been good for me as long as it's not neoprog..

I also wait to hear the disc before hand on most stuff. Very few bands are an auto buy for me these days..

Thats my Problem I buy on impulse with out Listening to it first..& I get burned a lot .. But thats my fault not Ken's...You would think at 70 yrs old I would learn by now:cry:

Reactions: Liquid Tension
I often don't like to listen to albums first because it kind of ruins the surprise (or at least not the whole thing). Sometimes I get "burned" but 80 percent of the time I don't (I mean in general and not just with LE) And out of that 80 percent only 5 percent are ones that I think are really bad or ones I have no interest in listening to again. I find the more well known an album or band is the more likely I am to like it but of course that's not absolute.

As for "buy or die" I always just thought of that as Ken's way of saying "highly recommended" or maybe in some cases "essential."

Last edited:
I often don't like to listen to albums first because it kind of ruins the surprise (or at least not the whole thing). Sometimes I get "burned" but 80 percent of the time I don't (I mean in general and not just with LE) And out of that 80 percent only 5 percent are ones that I think are really bad or ones I have no interest in listening to again. I find the more well known an album or band is the more likely I am to like it but of course that's not absolute.

As for "buy or die" I always just thought of that as Ken's way of saying "highly recommended" or maybe in some cases "essential."
So lets change Buy Or Die to ""Highly Recomended Or Essential"