Buying a decent mixer soon.. what would you choose?

Toxic Grind Machine

black neon bob
Jul 31, 2011
Im very, very tempted getting this sumbitch soon:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=10211

Looks nice, i hear great things about it and coming out of the machine.. the price is fair as well.

However, next to the ZED r16 i noticed this one as well from Allen & Heath:

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ZEDSeries&ProductId=ZED428

More knobs lol, i love knobs. :D I dont really notice a direct difference between the two (quickly browsed through the specs).
And the prices are about the same.. in fact i believe the 248 is a bit cheaper.

Any more tips are welcome offcourse.

Definatly the zed r16 dude.

It's got a FireWire (vs USB) interface with adat I/O and you can use the eq while mixing and record it back in. Basically you get a ton more flexibility with the routings etc.

That's just the start though, the zed is a whole other beast to the 428. Check out the gearslutz thread on the zed. I think the 428 is centered at the live market too.

Yeah the 428 and R16 are very different beasts. The pre's and eq on the R16 are much better than the 428. Also the 428 can only send the 2 track output via USB I think, whereas the R16 gives you all 16 channels individually, and the master output, and 8 channels of ADAT.

I've got an R16 on the way, should be here next week I hope. Can't wait to put it through it's paces!

Have you considered shopping for an older, used console? You can get some really cool stuff for a couple of grand if you find the right deal. For example, around here there's a Soundtracs Quartz 32 frame with 26 channels installed for 2500€, an Alesis X2 (a modular inline desk with MIDI mutes IIRC) for 1050€, a 64-channel/32-fader Otari Status for 2700€ and an old 32-channel Soundcraft 8000 series for 490€.

I finally decided on a R16 because of that exact thread. Got it cheap from Thomann. Working great so far.

So you bit the bullet then Trev?

I started a Zed-r16 thread a few weeks ago with loads on info in it.
It is a great board for the price.

Here is the thread.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/743269-itb-versus-zed-r16-mp3s.html

Yeah man, local shop managed to get hold of a B Stock one for £1350. Ordered a dust cover for it and got some ADAT cables for hooking it up to my Profire. Just waiting on the desk itself now.
Doing a session with it next weekend, really looking forward to putting it through it's paces! :D

This mixer seems quite nice. I got some questions. Would you be able to use this to record in place of an interface, sending each channel to it's own track in the DAW, while placing some outboard and fancy EQ either before the recording or after, and also be able to use it as a DAW controller afterwards? This is what I'm gathering from what it says, but I want to make sure, as that seems like a decent workflow for me.

How does the ZED-R16 function as a DAW Controller? The EQs and 16 mic inputs are great, but if it doesn't work too well as a DAW controller, they might as well have not made it into a huge board. Not that I couldn't get something else to use as DAW control, but the fact that it doesn't have motorized faders kind of saddens me :(

This mixer seems quite nice. I got some questions. Would you be able to use this to record in place of an interface, sending each channel to it's own track in the DAW, while placing some outboard and fancy EQ either before the recording or after, and also be able to use it as a DAW controller afterwards? This is what I'm gathering from what it says, but I want to make sure, as that seems like a decent workflow for me.

This is exactly the workflow im after as well.. good questions, hope someone who has it can elaborate a bit.

I also wonder how the soundcard is inside the ZED-R16.. And if it beats my current fireface 400 (love that one!).

edit:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/articles/allenandheathzedr16.htm

Not really. I asked a question nearly 2 weeks ago in it and no one has responded.

You mentioned that you're controlling Waves SSL with it, but you're also running a Mackie Control along side the ZED, which to me says there are features the ZED is lacking to use it as your only controller. Just curious as to what you're missing with it.

Not really. I asked a question nearly 2 weeks ago in it and no one has responded.

You mentioned that you're controlling Waves SSL with it, but you're also running a Mackie Control along side the ZED, which to me says there are features the ZED is lacking to use it as your only controller. Just curious as to what you're missing with it.

I already had the Mackie Control.
I mapped the dedicated midi faders and pots to waves ssl using the learn function in logic.
You are right that non motorized midi control is not fantastic as it doesn't update in real time but it is ok for writing automation. I have not been using the 16 main faders for midi control as this bypasses the analogue faders to zero position.
I am using the Zed as an analogue mixer at mixdown, using the faders to control level leaving all my logic busses at zero. Not ideal for recall but I love mixing this way.
I use the Mackie for automation.
I would consider the midi faders on the zed as a bonus if you don't have a dedicated midi control surface with motorized faders.

Follow up question on the ZED R16.. 100% sure im getting this mixer, however:

The headphone amp in the ZED R16.. how is it? do i need a external headphone amp?

Right now im working with a fireface 400, and the headphone amp on that is great.. was hoping that the one in the ZED R16 could match that.

I was allowed to buy the ZED-22FX for my church some months ago, the old behringer stopped working.
And all I can say, it was about 20 steps up from that. Since the ZED R16's have a different purpose, and some more nice tools it won't be the same. But quality wise AH things are great!

Have you considered shopping for an older, used console? You can get some really cool stuff for a couple of grand if you find the right deal. For example, around here there's a Soundtracs Quartz 32 frame with 26 channels installed for 2500€, an Alesis X2 (a modular inline desk with MIDI mutes IIRC) for 1050€, a 64-channel/32-fader Otari Status for 2700€ and an old 32-channel Soundcraft 8000 series for 490€.

Now is a fantastic time to be buying a used console as there's lots of places closing up shop, downsizing and going digital which means it's a real buyers market. I've seen some insane deals for great gear on some local classifieds sites and if you put the word out in your own country that you're in the market for a serious desk with money to spend I'm sure you could come across a few really great deals.

Also Allen and Heath make some great gear. I've mostly been using Allen and Heath desks for the last 3-4 years of live sound and seen very little problems in comparison to other brands.

Maybe look at and see if you can find a A&H Saber series console used? Never used one myself but I've seen them go for cheap enough - 500/600€ a few times and they have a great reputation. I recently read that thats the pre's used on Carcass's Heartwork for guitars.