If you had to build a decent rig almost from scratch, what would you do?

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying I used to post here fairly regularly but I've been out of the loop for a LONG time. I'm looking at getting back in there if I can.

I used to have a band in australia called 'Celephai' and I was the songwriter/producer/mixer (if you can call me that) of the band, and I had a lot of fun doing this kind of stuff in the spare time I had when I was studying at uni. I was never particularly good, but as I said, I had a lot of fun.

Here is a link to the band. The last post we did is what I would consider one of my better mixes I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celephai/118611664790

I was studying high school teaching and have sinced moved into a rural area of Australia where I'm one of the only metalheads and there is no good advice within a 5 hour drive. I'm still very passionate about music and I'd like some pointers on what I should look at buying to get a small rig back up and running again. I say 'small' as it's always going to be a bedroom thing, as I don't do it professionally, but now that I have a decent job and an income, I don't want to skimp as much as I had to a few years ago.

My rig back then...
Old Lenovo laptop.
Line6 toneport UX2
Recabinet 3 (have since wiped my computer but I'm sure I could e-mail them and get it back).
Samson rubicon r5a monitors.
Used to use Cubase SX3 that a friend gave me.
Legit copies of Superior drummer 2.0 and The metal foundry.
Have a couple of sm57s.

In the way of music gear...
Dual recto with trad cab.
6505+ with 1960a cab.
C7 Hellraiser with 81-7.
C7 Loomis.
Yamaha 5 string bass of some sort.

I've got some stuff that most definitely needs upgrading, such as the DAW, computer and interface. Everything else will be fine for now, but I've got no idea where to start with the rest of it.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance. :)

^lol to the back half of this post. Anyway, since i'm not an amp guru I can't weigh in there. But do love computers, I would highly recommend building your own, so you can upgrade individual pieces over time to keep it up to date, as opposed to buying a new machine. You can dual boot W7 and OSX if you'd have a reason to. Also, as much as I hate to admit it (being a die-hard Intel fan) AMD is making CRAZY fast/cheap processors with really great integrated graphics, plus their core:price ratio is on the money, literally. Just my 2 cents dude.

Thanks for the help so far, fellas, although I'm not sure about some of those suggestions to do with pedals. :lol:

I'm not interested in buying other guitars or amps at all. I know an axe-fx of some kind would be great, but I'm not out to be versatile to be able to record other people. I got good enough sounds out of my amps before and can certainly do it again. I just need a bit of help in terms of computer/interface/etc. The interface would be best if it were smal, similar to a UX2, but higher quality and less issues with the latency would be nice. :lol:

I was never really good at this (as I said before) but I'd just like enough to be able to record my own metal songs. I've heard good things about the focusrite saffire and presonus firebox, but they might be outdated now.

Choosing the audio interface depends how many micpres/channels do you need and USB or Firewire? Roland has some good interfaces like UA-55 Quad-Capture.

First decide exactly what you need. Do you need to be tracking real drums? Will you be often? If you answered no to either of those, then get a good 2-4 input interface and you'll get way more bang for your buck. If you need to track drums for a one-off thing in the future, you'll save way more money by going into a real studio to do them rather than buying a good interface with 16+ inputs and decent pres/mics for it all.

Are you completely anti-OS X? Because an iMac, MBP, or MacMini + a Duet2 would be an awesome way to start yourself off.

Not completely against Mac but I need to be able to run photoshop as well because photography is a huge interest of mine.

An interface with 2 inputs would be fine. The same as my UX2, but higher quality, etc.

Hire people to do it for me, my time is way too expensive.

Doesn't photoshop run on Mac as well? If you go Mac I would go iMac or MacBook with a duet2 I have an iMac and a duet 1 and it rocks. If you go pc I here the rme baby face is nice.

Doesn't photoshop run on Mac as well? If you go Mac I would go iMac or MacBook with a duet2 I have an iMac and a duet 1 and it rocks. If you go pc I here the rme baby face is nice.
The first Photoshops were actually created for Apple Macintosh only.

Not completely against Mac but I need to be able to run photoshop as well because photography is a huge interest of mine.

An interface with 2 inputs would be fine. The same as my UX2, but higher quality, etc.

What do people recommend as a good value (bang for buck) upgrade to the UX2? I'm interested in the answer to this question as well.

My girlfriend has a 2010 macbook pro. It's not as powerful as some of the newer ones but it's certainly more powerful than my current lenovo with only 1.6 dual core and 2gb of RAM. I think her macbook has 2.4ghz intelcore 2 duo processor and 4gb of Ram. I could almost completely run TMF and Cubase on my old machine so this should do a much better job.

Again, it's more just to do things at home for my own enjoyment. No need to downsize my guitar rig at the moment because my amps get used on a regular basis at school when students need to do performances (I'm a high school teacher).

I think I'll buy a new interface that could be compatible with either mac or PC so when I upgrade my own computer I can still use it. Is there any software I can buy that will do the same?

Pro tools can do Mac or pc, so can cubase/nuendo. I use pro tools and logic but if I went back in time I would have went with reaper, which can also do Mac or pc. And is quite popular here.

I'd go Mac Mini if you already have a monitor, then you can get Logic Pro X which as well as being cheap, a great recording system, it has been given lots of 'songwriter' type functions such as Drummer.

Build your own computer. You can get the same specs (or better) as a maxed out iMac for less than a grand and still be able to run OSX on it, if you use the right parts.