what would YOU do?! :(

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
hey guys

im really racking my brain now and im really unsure of what to do.

i have a 2010 imac i7 but im looking at upgrading as my processor craps out whenever it fancies these days as my sessions are more and more cpu intensive

now i have a couple of options.

sell the imac and save up the difference for a refurbished 8 core mac pro.

OR

keep the imac save up the difference i would have anyway and build a 12 core hackintosh!

ORRRR

put an ssd in the imac for about 400 pounds and see how it lasts and probably sell it anyway in 6 months?

I NEED YOUR OPINIONS :(

- What about bouncing some tracks first?
- What about comparing fx cpu wise and choosing a light weight eq, comp, ....?
- What about thining out your os and killing hidden processess draining your cpu.

I am on a much weaker laptop and have enough resources.

- What about bouncing some tracks first?
- What about comparing fx cpu wise and choosing a light weight eq, comp, ....?
- What about thining out your os and killing hidden processess draining your cpu.

I am on a much weaker laptop and have enough resources.

i would love to but i dont know how to thin out OSX

and i do bounce plenty of my tracks :)

print any static process like VCC, print everytrack before the mixing part so that there is no vsti running and only completely consolidated .wav files.

Also is this a dualcore i7 ? Cause if it's a quadcore i7, you're definitely doing something wrong. On my heaviest sessions i'm around 40% on my quad i7, vsti included, cause I just don't use too many CPU hungry plugins.

im using logic 9.1.3 i use waves ssl plugins. vcc voxengo elephant and podfarm

i use superior for drums which seems to take a third of my cpu on its own an its a quad core...so i dunno whats going on at all!

I'd definitely be printing each channel from superior... Then you can treat it more like you would with real drums. More mix flexibility and it won't be draining your system. Your iMac should be more than powerful enough for even heavy mix sessions.

I'd definitely be printing each channel from superior... Then you can treat it more like you would with real drums. More mix flexibility and it won't be draining your system. Your iMac should be more than powerful enough for even heavy mix sessions.

thats what i thought!!

in reaper i can hammer the cpu and it never goes above 40 percent.

in logic i get that stupid system overload all the god damn time!

yeah you can because when im watching the cpu meters move its only one of them that craps out,

the rest stay pretty low.....i however have no idea what to do now as ive looked around and i remember seeing something that says is spread around the aux's

however ive tried spreading the plugins over different aux's

no joy!

How many of your processors are you using? If you're using them all, use one less. That should certainly help a lot of your crashing :)

I'd definitely print the Superior stuff, it's a total hog on system resources.

I was having a lot of crash problems with Pro Tools, but it was down to my preference settings. Got it sorted and now it runs way better. I'm on a 27" iMac, 2.93Ghz and 4Gb ram.

hey jeid....

ill start printing the shit from superior definately
i dont know how to set the processor usage in logic :/

Well you posted like you know, you want to get a Mac Pro and sell the iMac… so…
the question is?

GO FOR MAC PRO!!!!!

(there is another option. Buy separate parts and build your own Mac Pro 8 Core. But if you want larger life for your computer take Mac Pro 12 cores…)

I own iMac early 2010 too, i7 2.8Ghz and with 12GB of ram it seems to be unstopable for audio projects… I hope it will last at least for a couple of years!!!

I don't know how do you work with it!
Reaper? Logic? Protools? Infinite Reverbs everywhere?

Something else, Logic Pro using processors SUCKED on my iMac, it sucks lot of processing and hangs a lot with audio glitches, I turned to Reaper about 1 year and half and never had a problem with an overload processor.

Well you posted like you know, you want to get a Mac Pro and sell the iMac… so…
the question is?

GO FOR MAC PRO!!!!!

(there is another option. Buy separate parts and build your own Mac Pro 8 Core. But if you want larger life for your computer take Mac Pro 12 cores…)

I own iMac early 2010 too, i7 2.8Ghz and with 12GB of ram it seems to be unstopable for audio projects… I hope it will last at least for a couple of years!!!

I don't know how do you work with it!
Reaper? Logic? Protools? Infinite Reverbs everywhere?

Something else, Logic Pro using processors SUCKED on my iMac, it sucks lot of processing and hangs a lot with audio glitches, I turned to Reaper about 1 year and half and never had a problem with an overload processor.

how ouwld i build my own mac 12core? just buy there hardware seperately?

see i moved to reaper on my imac but the flexing in logic is just so much easier for me. repear never overloaded my i7 but logic does, and its down to the way its using my cpu!

i just need to figure out a way to optimise it! id have stuck with reaper too had it not been so glitchy and had a proper decent flex edit!

The hackintosh is going to be your most price efficient option by far because of the naturally high markup on Mac products... but who knows how all the drivers and such work for Hackintosh. I'm sure you could get it to work, it would just take a lot of time, and a lot of reading.
Then again, saving thousands of dollars could be worth it, even though I'm not quite sure of the legality. According to some, it is, according to some, it's not... but hey, if you're buying OSX from Apple, I'm sure they won't mind too much.

tbf id rather my imac see me through for another year at least but i dont want to have to switch DAW's

does anyone think a fresh install of logic might help? or do we have any logic pro's on here?